Ron Patterson | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Ron Patterson

its time...have Patterson visit...if in fact we offered, then we want a commit. Why the games with kid's who want to come here. Remember MCW and Cooney...they wanted 'Cuse even more than we wanted them initially...so let's quit the fooling around...either date the one you have offered or dont make the offer...we are getting to be like Indiana Univ....and I frankly don't like it.
Cooney didn't want Cuse more than we wanted him. He was one of our top targets and it took a while for us to land him. MCW as well.

Jordan's a much better fit for our needs right now than Patterson, and we're at a point where Patterson's really not looking elsewhere, so he has to wait and see what happens with Jordan. When you're a big program you can do this.

We aren't even close to Indiana, we aren't oversigning kids, we're letting them know there's one committable offer for G and they have to wait their turn. They all know where they stand and are welcome to look elsewhere but a lot of your post has some pretty wild assumptions in it.

Recruiting makes for great discussions and debates, but only the staff really have the relevant information to make an informed opinion on these recruits. One opinion is to take the first that qualifies. The other is, if the staff really prefers another player, wait it out and hopefully get the guy you really want. I trust the staff to make the best decision on this kind of stuff. Who knows, there could be another recruit lurking as insurance at the PG/combo guard position that SU could pull the trigger on that hasn't even been discussed.
I agree with this; however, why make offers if your intent is not to take the kid if he wants to commit...I for one believe that the system sucks. You should not over offer get commits and decide ala Indiana; but you should not offer and tell a kid to wait...as it is, neither the kid nor school is obligated in anyway to keep the verbal contract...kids unless signed dont really count and now schools offer but dont necessarily accept the verbal commit...if this was business it would not work from either side...geez...just saying.

Cooney didn't want Cuse more than we wanted him. He was one of our top targets and it took a while for us to land him. MCW as well.

Jordan's a much better fit for our needs right now than Patterson, and we're at a point where Patterson's really not looking elsewhere, so he has to wait and see what happens with Jordan. When you're a big program you can do this.

We aren't even close to Indiana, we aren't oversigning kids, we're letting them know there's one committable offer for G and they have to wait their turn. They all know where they stand and are welcome to look elsewhere but a lot of your post has some pretty wild assumptions in it.
Very well said. This staff would not accept a commitment and then turn a kid away. That will never happen here.

I agree with this; however, why make offers if your intent is not to take the kid if he wants to commit...I for one believe that the system sucks. You should not over offer get commits and decide ala Indiana; but you should not offer and tell a kid to wait...as it is, neither the kid nor school is obligated in anyway to keep the verbal contract...kids unless signed dont really count and now schools offer but dont necessarily accept the verbal commit...if this was business it would not work from either side...geez...just saying.
You do realize that schools offer over 10-15 kids a year, right? Most coaches lay the cards on the table to the kids when they get an offer. They all know the situation.

You do realize that schools offer over 10-15 kids a year, right? Most coaches lay the cards on the table to the kids when they get an offer. They all know the situation.

Yeah that is and always has been the system everywhere as long as we are not dumping kids I see no issue.

As far as positional needs, Jordan fits the bill.

I agree.

Alot depends on how well the staff thinks Patterson will be off the dribble (probably not as good as Jordan) or with his jumpshot if he has to settle for it more. Jordan might be a safer chemistry strategy for his sophmore season 014-15 with the loss of Fair, and possibly Gbinije/Coleman(personally I think both).

But, that doesn't mean Patterson or BJ won't be sensational sophmores to fill the void. Look at last year we had little outside shooting but great dribble penetration isolation. Then look at 09-10 we had great outside shooting but bad no dribble penetration. Those two seasons left us being number one and two going into march which speaks volumes. As long as we have someone who can score inside in 014-15 we will be ok. I also get the feeling JB has as much love for defensive guards like Mr. Ron uptop as he ever has, which makes me glad.

I am more confronted by our youth and chemistry for 014-15 then 013-14 by a mile though. Especially if Dajuan returns for a sophmore year to join CJ, Gbinije, Grant(sophmore) Cooney(Jr technically) and Ennis. Rebuilding from the offensive leadership of second year Dajuan(if hes here) Gbinije, and CJ will be no easy task.

"You might as well hand Indiana the National Championship right now if they have 13 guys better than him" "He's (Ron Patterson) been outstanding" found this article in the Indy Star http://blogs.indystar.com/recruitin...e-on-former-broad-ripple-guard-ron-patterson/
I don't think it was a matter of 13 guys better than him. I believe there was only one other guard in his recruiting class and a ton on the roster. Cream probably thought it would be easier to let an incoming freshman go than someone already on campus and on the roster. Either way, a pretty crumby way to treat a kid that committed to your program.

Nice article about Patterson that reveals how he got the nickname "Buss". The kid has overcome quite a bit over the years and it's hard not to like him after reading the article. I certainly will be excited if he does end up at Syracuse. The kid is tough and tenacious and having a freakish wingspan is something that lends itself well to "The Zone".

http://indiana.247sports.com/Article/Not-a-Busta-61185

Intriguing read.

So, does anyone have any perspective on his skill set / what his game is like?

Intriguing read.

So, does anyone have any perspective on his skill set / what his game is like?
first he was a top 70 or better in his class; secondly his defensive ability is way above average due to his freakish length and last...he is a shooter...from distance or driving to the rim...get him on campus and take him already...a bit tired of these other kids waiting and waiting....last chance Jordan..in or out (by the way Jordan is not ranked that much higher than Patterson--different years but about same rankings)

first he was a top 70 or better in his class; secondly his defensive ability is way above average due to his freakish length and last...he is a shooter...from distance or driving to the rim...get him on campus and take him already...a bit tired of these other kids waiting and waiting....last chance Jordan..in or out (by the way Jordan is not ranked that much higher than Patterson--different years but about same rankings)
All of those skills are certainly desirable, but they are repetative with some of our other players. If there is one guard spot available, it is more beneficial to the team to have someone who can handle primary ball handling responsibilities.

i hear you, but he (Buss) still doesnt solve our potential ball handling issue next yr. i believe we will go after a jucu ball handling guard if this is the case. im actually kinda shocked Jordan hasnt committed, i thought i had this kid nailed judging from his instagram photos and comments. seems like all his friends want him to come here but he knows he may be grounded his first yr here. if St Johns gets him, then Lavin worked us good.

i hear you, but he (Buss) still doesnt solve our potential ball handling issue next yr. i believe we will go after a jucu ball handling guard if this is the case. im actually kinda shocked Jordan hasnt committed, i thought i had this kid nailed judging from his instagram photos and comments. seems like all his friends want him to come here but he knows he may be grounded his first yr here. if St Johns gets him, then Lavin worked us good.
Then why did we offer?????????????????if we didnt want him!

Then why did we offer?????????????????if we didnt want him!

wow man, thats alot of question marks!!!!!! im sure the staff realized we needed a back up and another option with Jordan being persuaded elsewhere so they hopped on the "Buss"...get it? he looks like he could be a great player for us, no mistaking that. i just feel when its all said and done, we are going to need someone else with ball handling skills. i just wouldnt be surprised if we went another guard at some point to complete this class

if St Johns gets him, then Lavin worked us good.

It has nothing to do with how good Lavin is at recruiting him, It has everything to do with the fact that, unless MCW is gone, Jordan has NO chance of seeing any significant time his first year. It truly is remarkable that JB can get a kid of this caliber to wait until spring to make a decision.

^+1...I am a believer that 1 in hand is worth two in the bush...what happens if Patterson goes elsewhere and Jordan doesnt wait around...then what? and I will ask again...why have offered if not want?

actually, Lavin is a great recruiter. everyone knows that he will not see much time his first yr here. however, if in fact Jordan really wanted to come here regardless, then i dont see how remarable that is if he waited to see what MCW does. do i really have to explain why i think our program is better for Jordan? ...i will i have to, just saying.

^+1...I am a believer that 1 in hand is worth two in the bush...what happens if Patterson goes elsewhere and Jordan doesnt wait around...then what? and I will ask again...why have offered if not want?

once again, i hear what your saying...i think the staff knows Jordan is/was leaning elsewhere and we had to do something knowing it wasnt plan A. again, i think Patterson has a chance to really excel in our system and as long as hes willing to be patient, he could be a star

i hear you, but he (Buss) still doesnt solve our potential ball handling issue next yr. i believe we will go after a jucu ball handling guard if this is the case. im actually kinda shocked Jordan hasnt committed, i thought i had this kid nailed judging from his instagram photos and comments. seems like all his friends want him to come here but he knows he may e grounded his first yr here. if St Johns gets him, then Lavin worked us good.
Where would you get the idea that we would ever go after a Juco guard?? Why make stuff up?

Where would you get the idea that we would ever go after a Juco guard?? Why make stuff up?

oh my bad, sorry that it makes sense. btw-its my thought and opinion...im not making anything up, i said i wouldnt be surprised if we didnt do something like that if this is the scenario. What is wrong with that?

This guy sounds like a Paul Harris who can make 3 pointers. I wonder if thats what the staff sees. This guy could be a terror at the top of the zone.

While I would like us to get a player who is a good ball handler but I would take this kid in a heart beat anyways.

This guy sounds like a Paul Harris who can make 3 pointers. I wonder if thats what the staff sees. This guy could be a terror at the top of the zone.

While I would like us to get a player who is a good ball handler but I would take this kid in a heart beat anyways.
I think he would be a great player for us. But I think we need a ball handler and Jordan is the guy.

Then what? Neither of these players makes or breaks us. If we don't land either of them, then we'll land someone of equal talent next year. Which is why I don't resonate with the "bird in the hand" philosophy when it comes to hoop recruiting. We are recruiting like gangbusters right now; we're in a great position, because Jordan and Patterson are more 'nices-to-have' than 'need-to-have.'

I think that the main concern is about replenishing depth in the backcourt--specifically at point guard. Triche is gone after this year. MCW may or may not be leaving early [not suggesting that he will, just that it is a possibility]. If both depart, then we'll be facing a situation where Ennis is the lone PG on the roster.

But at 2, we'll have Trevor Cooney and Michael Gbinije--which is why a player like Patterson, while he would make a great addition, might be less of a priority than a player like Jordan who projects as a 1 and would fill a bigger team need.

Please note that I wouldn't have an issue with landing either player, neither of them, or however it works out. I just don't view Patterson as a priority / 1 in the hand situation AT ALL. He sounds like a great player who might fall into our lap due to some unfortunate circumstances at Indiana. If so, I'd love to welcome him aboard, and I'm sure he'd be great at SU. But IMO a bigger priority needs to be building depth at PG behind Ennis.

And of course, all of that changes if MCW stays, since then we'd have two PGs next year. And even if MCW goes and we land Patterson, we could always go after a PG next year, too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom