Roscoe Smith transferring | Syracusefan.com

Roscoe Smith transferring

are they going to be able to field a team?

not gonna lie, I'm a bit sad that the game this year will be such a wash. Playing UCONN is awesome!

As I have some free time before my run...

The only new part here is the place he is going to transfer. It's been known for 2 months+ Roscoe was leaving.

UConn has lost 3 players to transfer (one in Michael Bradley who never played), 2 to the NBA from 11. They have 4 coming in, two top 100 kids, one 5th year and a German kid. So UConn (assuming no more turnover) will be at almost the same number of bodies as last year. Obviously, the talent/experience level dropped losing Drummond, Oriakhi and Lamb and picking up freshman.

Boatright, Napier, Calhoun, and Evans should form a decent backcourt (deeper, though not as talented as last year). Having 3 guards last year was not ideal (esp. when playing a 3-guard offense). The walkon Brendan Allen may get some minutes also, he is athletic enough, at the least he is a solid 5th option.

Giffey is a decent 3 and Daniels has a lot of natural ability, but neither has proven they can provide a ton at the BE level (this is so-so atm). Evans may get run at the 3 in a small ball lineup. Neither Giffey nor Daniels can really swing to the four like Roscoe/Rudy did in the past.

PF, Olander could be worse, but he's not going to wow a lot of people, ideally the backup 4, but not next year. Not sure who will back him up. Probably the new German kid (Leon Tolksdorf), who no one knows anything about. Well OK, we know a little, but not a ton, hard to judge a kid off of German high school (U-19/pro b-team) highlights. Seems to have a good shot, not sure what will translate.

Center is Wolf and Nolan, that is not good for the BE. Honestly, it will shock me if UConn gets a ton from them. I would be happy with rebounding, defense and solid screens, or at least 2 of the 3. Nolan seems athletic, but not exactly strong. Wolf is slow (or was last year).

Lots of potential shooting on this team, but will need a lot of improvement to be competitive in the BE (as in not Providence/DePaul). The biggest issue will be defensively. UConn has been funnelling kids to shotblockers for years, Wolf/Olander are not shotblockers. Nolan and the new German are unknowns. Not to mention having two smallish guards starting (likely) in Napier and Boatright. It will be difficult on defense. I hope Calhoun plays a pressure defense similar to UL's because that will be the best for the personnel next year, or even a zone.

UConn is still recruiting for 2012, but even if they don't get anyone, they have 4 scholarships and a ton of PT for next year. A few top 50 kids still list them, we shall see.

Finally started demolition of the old football stadium to make room for the new basketball training facility probably helps.

Next year is less of a big test than the year following Calhoun's retirement (whenever that is).

UConn has lost 3 players to transfer (one in Michael Bradley who never played).

Shocker!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

The only new part here is the place he is going to transfer. It's been known for 2 months+ Roscoe was leaving.

UConn has lost 3 players to transfer (one in Michael Bradley who never played), 2 to the NBA from 11. They have 4 coming in, two top 100 kids, one 5th year and a German kid. So UConn (assuming no more turnover) will be at almost the same number of bodies as last year. Obviously, the talent/experience level dropped losing Drummond, Oriakhi and Lamb and picking up freshman.

Boatright, Napier, Calhoun, and Evans should form a decent backcourt (deeper, though not as talented as last year). Having 3 guards last year was not ideal (esp. when playing a 3-guard offense). The walkon Brendan Allen may get some minutes also, he is athletic enough, at the least he is a solid 5th option.

Giffey is a decent 3 and Daniels has a lot of natural ability, but neither has proven they can provide a ton at the BE level (this is so-so atm). Evans may get run at the 3 in a small ball lineup. Neither Giffey nor Daniels can really swing to the four like Roscoe/Rudy did in the past.

PF, Olander could be worse, but he's not going to wow a lot of people, ideally the backup 4, but not next year. Not sure who will back him up. Probably the new German kid (Leon Tolksdorf), who no one knows anything about. Well OK, we know a little, but not a ton, hard to judge a kid off of German high school (U-19/pro b-team) highlights. Seems to have a good shot, not sure what will translate.

Center is Wolf and Nolan, that is not good for the BE. Honestly, it will shock me if UConn gets a ton from them. I would be happy with rebounding, defense and solid screens, or at least 2 of the 3. Nolan seems athletic, but not exactly strong. Wolf is slow (or was last year).

Lots of potential shooting on this team, but will need a lot of improvement to be competitive in the BE (as in not Providence/DePaul). The biggest issue will be defensively. UConn has been funnelling kids to shotblockers for years, Wolf/Olander are not shotblockers. Nolan and the new German are unknowns. Not to mention having two smallish guards starting (likely) in Napier and Boatright. It will be difficult on defense. I hope Calhoun plays a pressure defense similar to UL's because that will be the best for the personnel next year, or even a zone.

UConn is still recruiting for 2012, but even if they don't get anyone, they have 4 scholarships and a ton of PT for next year. A few top 50 kids still list them, we shall see.

Finally started demolition of the old football stadium to make room for the new basketball training facility probably helps.

Next year is less of a big test than the year following Calhoun's retirement (whenever that is).
i enjoy watching nils and olander as much as the next guy..but if thats your frontcourt for big east play...woof

i enjoy watching nils and olander as much as the next guy..but if thats your frontcourt for big east play...woof

Ideally they would be backups, but they are miles better (more proven) than what will be appearing at center.

there's been some superb rationalizing/denial going on over at their pathetic board. things like, "you know, I kind of like how next year's squad is shaping up. I really think Tyler and Niels are going to surprise alot of people." :D

Aside from the flukiest title in sports history UCONN has been in decline since 2007. So this is hardly surprising

Why is that? He redshirted his 1st year and broke his ankle at the start of last season.

He also "gave up" his scholie for Drummond.

Aside from the flukiest title in sports history UCONN has been in decline since 2007. So this is hardly surprising

I assume UCONN's 2009 Final 4 with their best player out with an injury is part of that decline.

I assume UCONN's 2009 Final 4 with their best player out with an injury is part of that decline.[/

A couple blips in a sea of mediocrity. Good job.

An Elite 8, a Final 4 and a National Championship "blip" over the course of 3 seasons. Especially considering the chaos, very successful. Thanks.

An Elite 8, a Final 4 and a National Championship "blip" over the course of 3 seasons. Especially considering the chaos, very successful. Thanks.

You've had a first round loss, a luck run than will never be duplicated in NCAA history, and an NIT in three years, actually. You don't get to count 2011's run twice. But very creative with the sample size of three years.

ONE legit team in six years, a postseason ban, every good player making like a rat on the titanic, and a lame duck coach. Better hope that Big Ten invite is in the mail.

2006-2007 - Nothing (NIT)
2007-2008 - First Round loss (NIT)
2008-2009 - Final Four (Sweet Sixteen)
2009-2010 - NIT (Sweet Sixteen)
2010-2011 - National Champion (Second Round loss)
2011-2012 - First Round loss (elite eight)

So since 2006-2007 UConn has made 4 NCAAT, Syracuse has made 4. UConn has gone 0-1, 4-1, 6-0, 0-1 for a record of 10-3 in the NCAAT. Cuse has gone 2-1, 2-1, 1-1, 3-1 for a record of 7-4 in the NCAAT. Let's pretend UConn only played to seed in 2010-2011 (3-seed would be Sweet Sixteen, or 2-1). That would put UConn at 6-4 (1 NCAAT win less than Cuse over the same time), of course in reality, UConn won the whole damn thing.

In terms of NCAA success, it's less decline for UConn and more higher peaks and lower valleys. Cuse has been very level since 2008-2009, nothing amazing but nothing horrid (NCAAT speaking).

Now of course Cuse should move past UConn this coming year (I imagine 5 NCAAT's and maybe NCAAT wins, though that would mean a Final Four or better). Of course UConn still has the NC and an additional Final Four.

Cuse does have one more NIT to UConn's no post season, I guess Cuse can hang it's hat on that.

You've had a first round loss, a luck run than will never be duplicated in NCAA history, and an NIT in three years, actually. You don't get to count 2011's run twice. But very creative with the sample size of three years.

ONE legit team in six years, a postseason ban, every good player making like a rat on the titanic, and a lame duck coach. Better hope that Big Ten invite is in the mail.

Two legit teams? Unless you mean either the 1 seeded Final Four team or 3 seeded NC team wasn't legit...Good luck with that argument.

If that is the case, how many legit teams has Cuse had in the past 6 years? Zero Final Fours, only one elite eight. Two NIT's.

Two legit teams? Unless you mean either the 1 seeded Final Four team or 3 seeded NC team wasn't legit...Good luck with that argument.

If that is the case, how many legit teams has Cuse had in the past 6 years? Zero Final Fours, only one elite eight. Two NIT's.

I'm glad the UCONN-bots are out in full force to make sure the internet is free from negative thoughts about all things Storrs.

Even if Syracuse never goes to another Final Four at least I know our coach didn't blatantly use AAU ball to buy players or condone theft from the student body because he couldn't afford to lose his star point guard.

Maybe instead of bitching about the NCAA for their APR troubles Uconn fans should point the finger of blame at their hero for forcing kids out when they no longer suited his needs.

Even if Syracuse never goes to another Final Four at least I know our coach didn't blatantly use AAU ball to buy players or condone theft from the student body because he couldn't afford to lose his star point guard.

Maybe instead of bitching about the NCAA for their APR troubles Uconn fans should point the finger of blame at their hero for forcing kids out when they no longer suited his needs.

you are aware that Cuse would've been ineligible this year under the new rule, right? glass house man, you're in it

you are aware that Cuse would've been ineligible this year under the new rule, right? glass house man, you're in it

I'm flattered that you signed up here just to call me out.

I'm glad the UCONN-bots are out in full force to make sure the internet is free from negative thoughts about all things Storrs.

Perhaps you missed the part where I said negative things about the PF/C and SF position at UConn for next year.

Must stink to be inaccurate so often.

Perhaps you missed the part where I said negative things about the PF/C and SF position at UConn for next year.

Must stink to be inaccurate so often.

HOLY CRAP OBJECTIVITY IN A UCONN FAN

I think that next year may be Calhoun's last. He is becoming a liability, with the recurring health issues, and some negative relationships that he has with certain constituencies. Kemba's magic run is kind of like the Dwight Freeney football season. I think their recruiting has been slipping for a few years, and with the penalty next year and mass exodus, they face a big recruiting season next year - say they slip to a Seton Hall level team this season, and it's obvious Calhoun will be gone in a year or two. What happens then ? Are they still going to draw a bunch of top recruits ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom