Roscoe Smith transferring | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Roscoe Smith transferring

The only difference between 1996 Syracuse and 2011 UCONN is they played Butler while we played the greatest college team of all time.

And that Boeheim isnt a douchebag...or a cheater.
I see that you and PauliePeppas took similar notes at this year's Syracuse butthurt symposium.

I see that you and PauliePeppas took similar notes at this year's Syracuse butthurt symposium.

I'm not sure why you're trolling here but you could've won the last ten national titles. You have no postseason this year, your players are all bailing (at least the good ones are) and you have a coach who's halfway out the door in a conference held together with duct tape and chewing gum.

NO ONE here would trade places with UCONN. Not. A. One.

I'm not sure why you're trolling here but you could've won the last ten national titles. You have no postseason this year, your players are all bailing (at least the good ones are) and you have a coach who's halfway out the door in a conference held together with duct tape and chewing gum.

NO ONE here would trade places with UCONN. Not. A. One.
It's a Syracuse board. I wouldn't expect anyone here to want to trade places with UCONN regardless of the state of the 2 programs.

It's a Syracuse board. I wouldn't expect anyone here to want to trade places with UCONN regardless of the state of the 2 programs.
How many UConn fans would kill to be in Syracuses position right now? I bet it's a lot more than you think.

I would be absolutely livid if Uconn somehow pulled Shaka from VCU. I highly doubt that would happen because I think he is waiting to go to an elite program. I'm not knocking Uconn by saying that either, the Big East just isn't stable right now so jumping ship from a team moving into a better conference (a basketball one) from where they were, just for him to go a team in another conference that seems to be dissolving just wouldn't make sense. Add in the fact that I love Shaka Smart and I'd be hard-pressed to cheer for him at Uconn.

Problem is, not many schools are more elite than UConn (speaking of basketball) and very few of those would give Shaka chance anytime soon.

Teams more "elite" or similar to UConn:
Duke: K and some K successor, I doubt they go outside the family
UNC: Williams has at least 7 years and then I doubt they go outside the family
UK: Cal is young, if they can keep him he will be there a long time. Shaka could get a call if he leaves earlier.
IU: Crean is starting some nice stuff there and should be there for a bit
UCLA: A lot will depend on what Shabazz and this class bring UCLA. Howland could either stay on or get replaced. This would be the most likely of the 6 bluebloods.

Cuse: They have Jimmy B and they have a coach in waiting
UL: Pitino will likely be around for another 4-5 years
UF: Donovan is still fairly young
Arizona: Only if their current coach leaves for another program
Michigan State: Izzo isn't going anywhere anytime soon
Michigan: Possible if they have a few down years, but not any time soon

What other programs are on UConn's level? Even with the BE situation? I may be missing one or two, but I really can't think of any off the top of my head. That said, Shaka seems to like VCU a lot. I'm not even saying UConn gets him, but someone like him, sure. Especially if the new basketball facility is half as nice as the football facility.

How many UConn fans would kill to be in Syracuses position right now? I bet it's a lot more than you think.

This coming year, yes (in the figurative sense). I would love for Cuse to be banned for the NCAAT and UConn a likely top 15 team going into the season. I would love for UConn's coach to not have serious health issues (I wouldn't go as far as to wish illness on Cuse's coach). I would love to have a coach in waiting. I would probably also like UConn heading to the ACC, though I guess I would prefer to be heading with Cuse than Pitt.

In general:

I don't get this whole 15 year thing though, or even 1995 reference. Even UConn fans would agree it was 1990 or slightly earlier that UConn's success truly started. UConn has been good-great for 22 or so years now, they have been one of the top 2-3 programs in the last 15 years. UConn was obviously a regional program prior to that, though quite good in their conference prior to joining the BE.

Yea, me and all my friends are lined up to switch places with a school that has one National Championship and a great reputation of being one of those schools that under performs and shits out of the tournament year after year in the second round, but year we all want to be the inferior Syracuse. BTW all your "UConn hasn't been relevant before 1995" is bullshit, if anything you should all be embarrassed UConn achieved more than SU has in its whole history in a matter of 12 years. Also 1995? Do some research before you open your mouth and talk .

Uconn would go to any extreme on off the court without caring..
They get byes from ncaa violations all the time, a coach who throws his kids under the bus every year and luckily some top talent to mix in with the thugs. Uconns men basketball will always hide in the shadow of its womans program and espn running out of conn.
Why do we waste our time talking about them? Seriously, were a classy program so what if their successfull at any cost.

Yea, me and all my friends are lined up to switch places with a school that has one National Championship and a great reputation of being one of those schools that under performs and shits out of the tournament year after year in the second round, but year we all want to be the inferior Syracuse. BTW all your "UConn hasn't been relevant before 1995" is bullshit, if anything you should all be embarrassed UConn achieved more than SU has in its whole history in a matter of 12 years. Also 1995? Do some research before you open your mouth and talk ****.
I could quote caw's post, but I'll just type it out again:
Well, me and all my friends are lining up to swap places with a school that is banned from the tournament, has had a number of it's good players either declare for the draft or transfer, have a coach that could leave at any moment, have no coach in waiting/no logical/obvious replacement for that coach, and be in a conference that is currently imploding with no guaranteed alternative destination.

This argument is stupid regardless. You're UConn fans. We're Syracuse fans. No one is asking to switch and no one wants to. Why can't we just leave it at that.

This coming year, yes (in the figurative sense). I would love for Cuse to be banned for the NCAAT and UConn a likely top 15 team going into the season. I would love for UConn's coach to not have serious health issues (I wouldn't go as far as to wish illness on Cuse's coach). I would love to have a coach in waiting. I would probably also like UConn heading to the ACC, though I guess I would prefer to be heading with Cuse than Pitt.

In general:

I don't get this whole 15 year thing though, or even 1995 reference. Even UConn fans would agree it was 1990 or slightly earlier that UConn's success truly started. UConn has been good-great for 22 or so years now, they have been one of the top 2-3 programs in the last 15 years. UConn was obviously a regional program prior to that, though quite good in their conference prior to joining the BE.
I agree with you, I was mainly just calling out that other dude. I haven't read this whole thread, but I'd assume (and hope) that people aren't arguing that UConn hasn't been elite the past 13 years. You know I hate Calhoun, but you can't argue with 3 titles and 4 FFs since 1999. And although your regular seasons lately haven't been great; you'll have to have to do A LOT to return to "average" after the past 13 years you've had.

No one knows what will happen with them, and I think they'll have some issues ahead. But UConn basketball is becoming a brand and as long as you get the right coach, I don't forsee a huge downfall.

Problem is, not many schools are more elite than UConn (speaking of basketball) and very few of those would give Shaka chance anytime soon.

What other programs are on UConn's level? Even with the BE situation? I may be missing one or two, but I really can't think of any off the top of my head. That said, Shaka seems to like VCU a lot. I'm not even saying UConn gets him, but someone like him, sure. Especially if the new basketball facility is half as nice as the football facility.

See, I'd agree with you if Uconn wasn't stuck in the Big East, as of now. I don't see the benefit for him to leave one basketball conference for what will essentially be another purely basketball conference. If you guys were to get an invite to the ACC or B1G then I could actually see Shaka taking Uconn up on that offer.

I simply don't want to see Shaka Smart ever at Uconn due to the fact I am a fan of his and I hate anything Georgetown, Uconn, Rutgers, and Pitt so I as long as he goes anywhere else but those four schools, I could cheer for him still.

His wife also is in love with Richmond and the wifey can play a big role in his decision so I can see him staying put until he gets the offer he really wants, whatever that may be. Considering he could really take plenty of time for that offer to come in, I don't see him rushing off at the first sign of a good offer like he has shown already.

all i know, is that yukon has a shirt with a big white dog on it. meanwhile, CUSE IS CRAY. where the F is my calzone???

Thats funny, doesn't the main Syracuse Basketball page on this message board advertise its "3 National Championships", 2 of which were before 1920 hahaha, this board is a joke. I come on here from time to time to laugh at the obvious bitter jealousy this fan base has towards UConn. You all loved the BE until your school jumped ships and now you all hate the BE and worship the same ACC you curse a few years ago, and now you sit here and say things like "UConn has been in decline since 2006", PLEASE. Syracuse's best team in a while this year lost in the elite 8, what a joke. Like someone said, maybe you all shouldn't throw stones if you live in a glass house, pathetic.
I would take some time and learn to read before making posts like this and making a buffon of yourself again.

It's funny that UCONN fans are so anxious to remind everyone that they lost Jerome Dyson in 2009 (midseason, so it's not like they had no time to adjust) and then conveniently omit what happened to Syracuse in 2010 and 2012 right before the tournament.

It's really surprising how many garbage seasons UCONN has had for a so-called "elite" program. Thank God they had that one good player and a once in a lifetime NCAA tournament draw two years ago to validate their status.

I do apologize for shortchanging UCONN by five years. Their relevance started in 1990. Changes the arguement COMPLETELY.

It's funny that UCONN fans are so anxious to remind everyone that they lost Jerome Dyson in 2009 (midseason, so it's not like they had no time to adjust) and then conveniently omit what happened to Syracuse in 2010 and 2012 right before the tournament.

It's really surprising how many garbage seasons UCONN has had for a so-called "elite" program. Thank God they had that one good player and a once in a lifetime NCAA tournament draw two years ago to validate their status.

I do apologize for shortchanging UCONN by five years. Their relevance started in 1990. Changes the arguement COMPLETELY.
I'm all for trashing UConn when it's justified. But our team in 03 wasn't far off from their team last year. Melo was probably better than Walker; but Lamb and AO were arguably better than GMac and Warrick.

Obviously they had an easy draw, and we didn't; but I don't think we should bring up how they had "one really good player". Our draw in 2010 was favorable even without Onauku.

I'm all for trashing UConn when it's justified. But our team in 03 wasn't far off from their team last year. Melo was probably better than Walker; but Lamb and AO were arguably better than GMac and Warrick.

Obviously they had an easy draw, and we didn't; but I don't think we should bring up how they had "one really good player". Our draw in 2010 was favorable even without Onauku.

I have to disagree.

We went 23-4 in the regular season and won the Big East reg season at 13-3. Uconn was ninth. Mediocrity defined.

See, I'd agree with you if Uconn wasn't stuck in the Big East, as of now. I don't see the benefit for him to leave one basketball conference for what will essentially be another purely basketball conference. If you guys were to get an invite to the ACC or B1G then I could actually see Shaka taking Uconn up on that offer.

I simply don't want to see Shaka Smart ever at Uconn due to the fact I am a fan of his and I hate anything Georgetown, Uconn, Rutgers, and Pitt so I as long as he goes anywhere else but those four schools, I could cheer for him still.

His wife also is in love with Richmond and the wifey can play a big role in his decision so I can see him staying put until he gets the offer he really wants, whatever that may be. Considering he could really take plenty of time for that offer to come in, I don't see him rushing off at the first sign of a good offer like he has shown already.

There are a few things that could theoretically bring someone like Shaka Smart. The new basketball facility is reported to be pretty amazing. UConn can pay more. VCU's conference slate is nowhere near as good as UConn's, even in this new BE. UConn is a brand, VCU really isn't. VCU is 4th in the state for public schools (at best) for funding from the state (UVA/W&M/VTech). UConn is by far #1 in CT.

Either way, it may not be Smart, it could be Hurley or Grant or some other up-and-comer. I really meant Smart as an example.

I have to disagree.

We went 23-4 in the regular season and won the Big East reg season at 13-3. Uconn was ninth. Mediocrity defined.

In conference perhaps, out of conference UConn was dominant (moreso than Cuse in 2003). ;)

I see nothing in this thread regarding Dyson (at least in connection to being injured in 2009). 2010 did suck for Cuse, 2012 was completely on Melo's inability to stay eligible, it could be argued Melo shouldn't have played a game the second semester.

Do you really want to talk about crappy seasons since 1990? I concede Cuse was better since 1990. That's a big "DUH". We both agree UConn wasn't a power until 1990.

Since 1990:
Cuse has missed the NCAAT 5 times (1993, 1997, 2002, 2007, 2008)
UConn has missed the NCAAT 5 times (1993, 1997, 2001, 2007, 2010)

Cuse has lost in the first round 3 times (1991, 1999, 2006)
UConn has lost in the first round 2 times (2008, 2012)

Cuse has lost in the round of 32, 4 times (1992, 1995, 2001, 2011)
UConn has lost in the round of 32, 2 times (1992, 2000)

Cuse has 7 Sweet Sixteens (1990, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2004, 2009, 2010)
UConn 4 (1991, 1994, 1996, 2003)​

Cuse has 1 Elite Eight (2012)
UConn has 5 Elite Eights (1990, 1995, 1998, 2002, 2006)​

Cuse has 1 Final Fours (not counting NC) (1996)
UConn has 1 Final Fours (not counting NC) (2009)

Cuse has 1 NC (2003)
UConn has 3 NC's (1999, 2004, 2011)

After 1990 (aka since UConn has become good->great->elite). UConn has the same number of missed NCAAT's as Cuse. Has lost fewer times in the first round and fewer times in the second round. UConn has a 13-10 advantage of going past the first weekend in total. UConn has more Sweet Sixteen wins 9-3. More Final Four appearances 4-1. More NC wins 3-1.

Pre-1990 (so I'm not shortchanging Cuse):
Cuse made 17 NCAAT Appearances (1957, 1966, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989)
UConn made 13 NCAAT Appearances (1951, 1954, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1967, 1976, 1979)

Cuse has 2 Final Fours (1975, 1987)
UConn has 0 Final Fours

Cuse has 2 Helms trophies f(1918, 1926)
UConn has 0 Helms trophies

So in total, Cuse has the two Helms trophies, two Final Four runs (pre-1990, when UConn sucked). Oddly, UConn only has 4 fewer NCAAT entries pre-1990, when they sucked.

Well that was long.

But I have to hand it to you. Your postings make me despise Uconn a wee bit less.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom