Roster set...expectations? | Syracusefan.com

Roster set...expectations?

DirtDog44

Walk On
I for one think we could surprise next year..but I also thought last year's team was the most talented we had (on paper) in 20 years so who knows. I do know we are in good hands with Battle and Thompson. Much of our success will be our ability to defend.

If Thorpe can play the PG and provides a more stable presence on both ends of the court than Gillon, TT takes a step forward on both ends and the young forwards have a big impact right away, we can certainly be a tourney team. Lot of new pieces and question marks still, but having a full roster with flexibility should only help.

I'd still guess we're about a .500 ACC team and a borderline Tourney team, at least until we see how this team can play D and score from the perimeter.

I for one think we could surprise next year..but I also thought last year's team was the most talented we had (on paper) in 20 years so who knows. I do know we are in good hands with Battle and Thompson. Much of our success will be our ability to defend.

Boeheim has won 25+ games before with less talent than last year's team.

Looking at the roster I think we're bubblicious +/- 3 wins.

I think with this roster we could go anywhere from 11-7 in the ACC to 8-10. As was stated in other posts, I think its important to get Geno and Marek on campus ASAP. If I had to make a guess on stats and lineups it would look like this:

PG- Thorpe (10ppg) Washington (2ppg)
SG- Battle (16ppg) Howard (6ppg)
SF- Marek (8ppg) Bissett (7ppg)
PF- Moyer (6ppg) Sidibe (3ppg)
C- Thompson (13ppg) PC- (3ppg)

That puts us around 74 PPG which I think is reasonable. Obviously the three headed attack of Marek/OB and Moyer are interchangeable so I could see OB starting and one of the other two starting on the bench. I think all three see equal minutes though.

Just my opinion. Take it for what its worth.

Last edited:
There's probably never going to be a year where I think we'll suck. I think this team can finish around .500 in the ACC and hope they get through nonconference play without any bad losses.

Defense will determine the team's success this year. Everybody is focused on the perceived lack of offense, but defense is what will decide games. And I think the roster we have is poised to play some of the best defense we've seen in a few years.

I think people are vastly overrating thompson so far.

I agree we are set with tyus, who will be by far our best weapon.

Thompson showed very gifted offensive ability but he was far from an average defender last year and that's where we really need him to improve. I am hoping he also worked on some back to the basket game this offseason. Majority of his scoring came from face ups.

Boeheim has won 25+ games before with less talent than last year's team.

Looking at the roster I think we're bubblicious +/- 3 wins.

Sounds strange to say but JB gave that roster way too much rope trying to highlight guys for the next level ending up with multiple guys out of position, reward longevity, etc.

It wasn't the class we were expecting going in, but considering where we were a few weeks ago, we have done well for ourselves, I say we are a middle of the pack acc team, should be a tournament team, not bad considering we were trending towards being Bc bad.

If Thorpe can play the PG and provides a more stable presence on both ends of the court than Gillon, TT takes a step forward on both ends and the young forwards have a big impact right away, we can certainly be a tourney team. Lot of new pieces and question marks still, but having a full roster with flexibility should only help.

I'd still guess we're about a .500 ACC team and a borderline Tourney team, at least until we see how this team can play D and score from the perimeter.

I agree with this. I think borderline tournament team but I'm learning toward we sneak in this year.But you're right, hard to tell without seeing the D and seeing how some of the newcomers perform.

Last edited:
I was at 15 wins before we landed Dolezaj. So, over the las few weeks, I've gone from 15 wins to 17 to 19-20. Team has great potential, but there's so many questions.

But I feel a lot better than I did a month ago.

I was at 15 wins before we landed Dolezaj. So, over the las few weeks, I've gone from 15 wins to 17 to 19-20. Team has great potential, but there's so many questions.

But I feel a lot better than I did a month ago.

I think everyone has to agree that things are looking up compared to a month ago regardless of previous expectations.

OK roster is set. Similar to last season, the staff did an outstanding job of scrambling, and compared to last season saved us a summer of agita in terms of wondering who would actually be balling for the Cuse in the fall. I guess practice makes perfect in terms of picking up the pieces, but i hope this will not be the modus operandi in the future.

Anyways, the team that is assembled looks to be mid-pack ACC. The talent just doesn't seem to be there to finish top three in the conference. maybe, we could get to the 4 or 5 slot if some questions are answered positively, so here are my biggest concerns:

1. Lack of a superstar who can take over games. Probably Battle is the guy we have who might come closest to filling this role. I love Ty as a player - he can drive, he can shoot, and he has good size. he always puts forth solid effort. I think he is a next level player, but I just don't see him as a superstar - he has good, but not truly elite athleticism, and I also have concerns that his three point shooting may have peaked as his form looks a bit awkward and not smooth ala Andrew White. Though I have somewhat high expectations for Tyus, I am hoping he can exceed them and become truly elite.

2. D - two issues with the D - the first is just that we will have a lot of new guys on the roster - as a group they are long enough and athletic enough to play good D, but how long will it take them to jell ? The second issue goes specifically to the center position. TT will need to get minutes there & he will have to play better D than he did last season. i doubt he has the instincts to become a defensive stalwart, but that doesn't mean he can't improve enough to at least make proper rotations and become adequate. Sidibe is a first year player & will definitely need to go through a learning curve - maybe in the second half of the season he can be a little bit of a d force. That leaves Chukwu. Injuries undercut him last season, but pre-injury he just didn't show a lot to keep himself on the court. Of course, as they say, you can't teach size, which he has in abundance. Can he harness that length enough to become a factor & earn some minutes ?

3 Outside shooting - this is simply a giant question mark. Newly committed Thorpe is the closest thing we will have to a proven three point shooter followed fairly closely by Battle. Marek supposedly has potential. I see Frank Howard's three point shooting upside as minimally adequate. Howard Washington should help when he is ready to get on the court. Bottom line, in the modern game we will need to have at least three reasonably reliable three point threats on the court most of the time, will this happen with who we have ?

Bottom line for me - here are my goals for the team:

1. Play over .500 in conference
2. Beat Duke at least once.
3. Win at least one ACC playoff game
4. Get off the freakin bubble & get into the tournament with at least some breathing room to spare.
5. Make at least a little bit of post-season noise.

My guess is

Howard (8 ppg)/Thorpe (10 ppg)/Washington (2 ppg)
Battle (18 ppg)/Howard
Brissett (8 ppg)/Slovak Hak (5 ppg)
Moyer (8 ppg)/Brisset
Thompson (14 ppg)/Sidibe (3 ppg)/Chukwu (2 ppg)

78 ppg, unless my math's off.

I just hope we can hold opponents to between 65-70 ppg. Which I have my doubts on.

This is the most unknown team in JB's history. We could end up anywhere from a losing season to a Sweet 16 team. I really have no idea how it will turn out.

Never before have there been so many unknown parts. We basically assembled this team out of a bunch of spare parts.

This is the most unknown team in JB's history. We could end up anywhere from a losing season to a Sweet 16 team. I really have no idea how it will turn out.

Never before have there been so many unknown parts. We basically assembled this team out of a bunch of spare parts.

Agree that it could go many ways but I'm confident with the additions of Marek and Thorpe that the winning season streak will continue. I've been wrong before though - just last season, as a matter of fact.

Agree that it could go many ways but I'm confident with the additions of Marek and Thorpe that the winning season streak will continue. I've been wrong before though - just last season, as a matter of fact.

I think everyone was wrong last year, even with Battle and Thompson being better than advertised Howard, Roberson regressing so much and 72 being a non-factor to go along with our worst 2/3 zone defense which nobody could predict just destroyed the season. No shame on having high expectations last season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom