Rotation question | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Rotation question

Which is fine if Kadary is in the game.

And Dolezaj can handle the ball, too.

It tended to not be fine when we had one ballhandler on the court in previous years. Marek can catch and pass and dribble around Centers. He’s not a ballhandler.

It tended to not be fine when we had one ballhandler on the court in previous years. Marek can catch and pass and dribble around Centers. He’s not a ballhandler.

Disagree. Marek can handle the ball in the open floor, too, and often does. Griffin isn't as bad of a ball handler as some are making out. I don't want him bringing it up against pressure, but as a secondary / tertiary guy, he's adequate.

Two years ago, there were posters convinced that Elijah couldn't handle the ball, either.

Half isn’t enough. He was our most important player last night.

idk about that. He had a great game. We also had 3 other guys who had great games (not all a result of Kadary).

Griffin is probably fine on defense at the 2. He can’t dribble, though. If he plays the 2, we’re down to one ballhandler.
I agree.

I personally think Griff is a natural 2. I think his handle gets shaky if it's anything other than a north/south drive or if it he needs to dribble more than 3 times. I think he's also good on quick curl shots. I could see him and KR causing some havoc on D during stretches. I would like to see him play 5/6 minutes a half at the 2 behind Buddy. Plus, I think it would leave a few more minutes for Woody/Bras to get some of Griffin's forward burn and give Buddy/JG some rest.

I agree.

I personally think Griff is a natural 2. I think his handle gets shaky if it's anything other than a north/south drive or if it he needs to dribble more than 3 times. I think he's also good on quick curl shots. I could see him and KR causing some havoc on D during stretches. I would like to see him play 5/6 minutes a half at the 2 behind Buddy. Plus, I think it would leave a few more minutes for Woody/Bras to get some of Griffin's forward burn and give Buddy/JG some rest.
His handle really gets shaky when he tries to split three defenders. Much of his shaky handling is dribbling into bad situations, which is more about the decision making than the skill.

His handle really gets shaky when he tries to split three defenders. Much of his shaky handling is dribbling into bad situations, which is more about the decision making than the skill.
So true...

While I think that's true, he does seem to get ripped pretty often one on one.

Maybe it's not that often and it just looks really bad when it happens, so it's more memorable.

In any event, I both think he can play some 2 but also don't want the ball in his hands very much, if that makes sense.

Maybe it's not that often and it just looks really bad when it happens, so it's more memorable.

In any event, I both think he can play some 2 but also don't want the ball in his hands very much, if that makes sense.
Completely.

The team went on a 22-3 run that turned the game around with Buddy on the bench.
This statement is incorrect. There was not a 22-3 run "with Buddy on the bench".

Kadary checked in for Buddy with 13:10 to go in the first half, and SU trailing 11-2. Kadary and Joe then spearheaded a 12-3 run over the next 4 minutes that tied the score with 9:08 to play in the half.

Buddy then checked into the game for Griffin at the 9:08 mark (and the score tied 14-14), and SU promptly went on an 11-0 run to take a 25-14 lead.

I'm not sure why one would intentionally mislead by stating that Buddy was on the bench for the entire 22-3 run, but it's simply not true. #facts

Buddy was not hot.
He was subbed out for Kadary.
The team went on a 22-3 run that turned the game around with Buddy on the bench.
Buddy scored the bulk of his points in the 2nd half when the game was over.

Alan got taken out for Buddy in the first half. Not the backup forward. I thought practice matters. When does Buddy practice the wing?
I wish Buddy and Alan were treated the same.

Their was no reason for Buddy and Joe to play as many minutes as they did. They did because the HC wanted them too. Braswell had been the backup forward he got passed as a forward backup for Buddy?
Why?
What bothered me was the lineup (at least in the backcourt) that worked, didnt start the 2nd half
It was the one that got into a 11-2 deficit
Its like Jim just doesn't want to admit what will work going forward

What bothered me was the lineup (at least in the backcourt) that worked, didnt start the 2nd half
It was the one that got into a 11-2 deficit
Its like Jim just doesn't want to admit what will work going forward
I've got no problem with Jim going back to the starters at the beginning of the second half. Many coaches do the same. Most probably.

I thought he stuck with the lineup longer than he needed, but we got the W.

This statement is incorrect. There was not a 22-3 run "with Buddy on the bench".

Kadary checked in for Buddy with 13:10 to go in the first half, and SU trailing 11-2. Kadary and Joe then spearheaded a 12-3 run over the next 4 minutes that tied the score with 9:08 to play in the half.

Buddy then checked into the game for Griffin at the 9:08 mark (and the score tied 14-14), and SU promptly went on an 11-0 run to take a 25-14 lead.

I'm not sure why one would intentionally mislead by stating that Buddy was on the bench for the entire 22-3 run, but it's simply not true. #facts
Fine i was wrong on the numbers. I rewatched.

I should have said the 22-3 run started to happen when Kadary replaced Buddy.
I stand by my point.
Buddy played too damn much and griffin sat too much. JB’s rotation can be questioned. This point is completely fair. Buddy plays too much.
Kadary gets fatigued but Buddy doesn’t?

Why do Buddy and Joe need 35 and 39 minutes in a game like this?

Why can't we see line up with
Kadary / Buddy / Griff / Braswell / Edwards or

Kadary / Griff / Newton / Braswell / Edwards or

Kadary / Joe / Buddy / Newton / Braswell

Why can't we seem to rotate more than two guys off the bench for more than 2 minutes of game time?
My thought is our first line players have been so terribly inconsistent that Boeheim wanted them to play well for extended minutes. It also helps the developmental players on the court (Kadary and Edwards) to play with the best players manning the other spots. If we were 10-1 and playing great going into last night I think we may have seen more of Braswell, who has struggled a bit after two strong games. Newton, Anselem, and Sidibe were unavailable last night. Not sure there isn;t a medical issue with Ajak too. So available bench was exceptionally short.

My thought is our first line players have been so terribly inconsistent that Boeheim wanted them to play well for extended minutes. It also helps the developmental players on the court (Kadary and Edwards) to play with the best players manning the other spots. If we were 10-1 and playing great going into last night I think we may have seen more of Braswell, who has struggled a bit after two strong games. Newton, Anselem, and Sidibe were unavailable last night. Not sure there isn;t a medical issue with Ajak too. So available bench was exceptionally short.
Completely understand your reasoning here, but knowing how much we will need from other forwards, really think there were ample opportunities for Braswell to get in earlier last night. Unless JB has actual plans moving forward with Buddy at the forward position.

Yeah, he looks fairly smooth with the ball at times, as a result I really wasn't expecting his handle to be so problematic. I keep running through theories, and haven't got there yet. He does seem to try to get overly creative in spots where it seem unnecessary, and possibly because of that ends up just dribbling off his leg or foot.

Completely understand your reasoning here, but knowing how much we will need from other forwards, really think there were ample opportunities for Braswell to get in earlier last night. Unless JB has actual plans moving forward with Buddy at the forward position.

Hate you :(

I've got no problem with Jim going back to the starters at the beginning of the second half. Many coaches do the same. Most probably.

I thought he stuck with the lineup longer than he needed, but we got the W.
Actually wasn't it Dolezaj collecting his 2nd foul early on top of the 11-2 score that forced JB to make the move? He needed to replace the center plus he elected to get Kadary into the game. And just like that the offense jelled and started to flow.

After listening to JB's presser last night and observing some real strange lineup moves over the last couple of games I agree with your comment regarding a short bench. Most which are related to the recent 14 day quarantine, unknown number of players actually testing positive, and the impact of COVID hitting the infected players differently. Some may have recovered quickly, others may have had moderate cases and some could be hit hard. With all the HIPAA regulations we can not know any of this. When hearing both Joe and Buddy had COVID I wondered why were they playing so many minutes? Possibly we had no once else? Maybe Kadary was also impacted. Is that why he gets winded quickly? We suspect it hit Frank, Woody and possibly Ajak harder. Trying to sort through all of this makes me end up with more questions than answers. Just rambling...apologies!

After listening to JB's presser last night and observing some real strange lineup moves over the last couple of games I agree with your comment regarding a short bench. Most which are related to the recent 14 day quarantine, unknown number of players actually testing positive, and the impact of COVID hitting the infected players differently. Some may have recovered quickly, others may have had moderate cases and some could be hit hard. With all the HIPAA regulations we can not know any of this. When hearing both Joe and Buddy had COVID I wondered why were they playing so many minutes? Possibly we had no once else? Maybe Kadary was also impacted. Is that why he gets winded quickly? We suspect it hit Frank, Woody and possibly Ajak harder. Trying to sort through all of this makes me end up with more questions than answers. Just rambling...apologies!
I mean I'd like to believe that Covid explains the bench minutes and rotation, but recent history suggests JB subs as a last resort.

I mean I'd like to believe that Covid explains the bench minutes and rotation, but recent history suggests JB subs as a last resort.
Of course recent history also suggests there has been no one on the bench that could help very much.

If you start playing the other guys against a Miami you may lose the built up bonus spacing points that you cash in against pressure defense.

It's called advanced metrics.

Also, after the UNC and Pitt debacle, one of the big unanswered questions I had was, what do we do when AG is off, or we just generally need help at SF, etc...

Well, now I know the answer regarding what we can do with Buddy when JG and Kadary are hot and we still need to get him extended run in a blowout against a really bad defensive team - like ranked 300th against the three kinda bad. So, it's a win.
Buddy was the leading scorer and shot 50% from the floor and from three, he‘s the guy you want to crap on?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom