Roy Danforth | Syracusefan.com

Roy Danforth

AlaskaSU

Build a dorm, burn the locker rm. upgrade the dome
Is there more to the story? It was always said that he left because he had ties to the south as that is where he played his college ball. Tulane is a private school, that is not larger than Syracuse, and as such probably did not have that much more money than the Cuse to pay for a coach. The Cuse program was on an upswing and Tulane was nothing special. In another thread I just learned that he retired to Mass. This makes no sense. Anyone have any inside info about why he left?

th

When he left posting was not invented and the fans saw the games filtered through a thick haze of dust from real dirt. There was one computer on campus and it had its own building, more like a bunker, Steele Hall?, populated by the first generation of pasty skinned nerds residing in the windowless basement. If you wanted to do a multiple regression or whatever, you waited in line to sit down at a kiosk and enter raw data on a big stack of punch cards. You would get your answer in a couple of days. Why would he leave such a paradise?

Is there more to the story? It was always said that he left because he had ties to the south as that is where he played his college ball. Tulane is a private school, that is not larger than Syracuse, and as such probably did not have that much more money than the Cuse to pay for a coach. The Cuse program was on an upswing and Tulane was nothing special. In another thread I just learned that he retired to Mass. This makes no sense. Anyone have any inside info about why he left?
Roy's crystal ball failed to tell him anything about the Big East, Carrier Dome or ESPN.

There was a succession plan in place for Boeheim to take over. Danforth tried to get more time but the chancellor said no. So he went and coached Tulane.
Really? Is that why the ultimatum of Coaching Rochester was given?

When he left posting was not invented and the fans saw the games filtered through a thick haze of dust from real dirt. There was one computer on campus and it had its own building, more like a bunker, Steele Hall?, populated by the first generation of pasty skinned nerds residing in the windowless basement. If you wanted to do a multiple regression or whatever, you waited in line to sit down at a kiosk and enter raw data on a big stack of punch cards. You would get your answer in a couple of days. Why would he leave such a paradise?

I worked Friday nights @ Steele Hall in 74 & 75. Had to kick kids out at 1AM.
There were maybe 20 terminals around campus, that was it. System went down every few hours

Despite the smart ass answer I gave in my first post, I am really interested in knowing the story as well. Tulane was not that great by 1975 and had left the SEC 9 years earlier after it had decided to de-emphasize sports.

They were on of the founding members of the SEC (1933 standings below)

upload_2017-2-21_14-17-43.png

Something doesn't seem to fit with the rest -- what the hell is a Sewanee? Was it the SEC's version of Rutgers? I guess they did go 14-105 in their time in the SEC, so the record is definitely a match. They also had a message board poster called Sewanee Sam who was their version of Rutgers Al.

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-21_14-15-14.png
    upload_2017-2-21_14-15-14.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 15
Danforth an Orange man at heart

A few things:

He had a connection to Southern Mississippi (which is close to NOLA. Tulane joined the Metro in 1975 as a charter member...Tulane was in a better spot as opposed to Indy Syracuse trying to play in the monstrosity called the ECAC.

From Wikipedia: The Metro Conference was founded in 1975 with institutions that were located in urban metropolitan areas. The charter members were the University of Cincinnati, Georgia Institute of Technology, the University of Louisville, Memphis State University (now the University of Memphis), Saint Louis University and Tulane University. Florida State University joined in 1976.

I can't imagine they paid Roy Danforth much more than $40-50k back in 1975-6. His son Mike, was on the Cuse team but was never going to play much.

Mike Danforth

I just think Roy felt the ceiling was higher in the Metro with Tulane. Never heard anything that he was unhappy at Syracuse

Danforth an Orange man at heart

A few things:

He had a connection to Southern Mississippi (which is close to NOLA. Tulane joined the Metro in 1975 as a charter member...Tulane was in a better spot as opposed to Indy Syracuse trying to play in the monstrosity called the ECAC.

From Wikipedia: The Metro Conference was founded in 1975 with institutions that were located in urban metropolitan areas. The charter members were the University of Cincinnati, Georgia Institute of Technology, the University of Louisville, Memphis State University (now the University of Memphis), Saint Louis University and Tulane University. Florida State University joined in 1976.

I can't imagine they paid Roy Danforth much more than $40-50k back in 1975-6. His son Mike, was on the Cuse team but was never going to play much.

Mike Danforth

I just think Roy felt the ceiling was higher in the Metro with Tulane. Never heard anything that he was unhappy at Syracuse

Danforth was Tulane's AD much longer than he stayed a coach. He only coached 5 years at Tulane.

Had to laugh when I found this. Tulane fans talking about Danforth being a candidate in 2004 for the SU AD's job. Does anyone remember this at all? I sure don't.

Ye Olde Green Wave Forum • View topic - Tulane AD: Finalist for Cuse AD

Despite the smart ass answer I gave in my first post, I am really interested in knowing the story as well. Tulane was not that great by 1975 and had left the SEC 9 years earlier after it had decided to de-emphasize sports.

They were on of the founding members of the SEC (1933 standings below)

View attachment 90028

Something doesn't seem to fit with the rest -- what the hell is a Sewanee? Was it the SEC's version of Rutgers? I guess they did go 14-105 in their time in the SEC, so the record is definitely a match. They also had a message board poster called Sewanee Sam who was their version of Rutgers Al.

Sewanee is the College of the South, it's on a hilltop somewhere in TN I think. No one actually graduates from there, they have to leave and go sober up someplace else.

Roy isn't even that much older than Boeheim. I didn't even know Tulane had a message board.

Sewanee is the College of the South, it's on a hilltop somewhere in TN I think. No one actually graduates from there, they have to leave and go sober up someplace else.
Actually it's The University of the South, to be nit-picky, and it is in Sewanee, Tennessee. We used to play them in football Way, Way Back Before There Was A Day.

Actually it's The University of the South, to be nit-picky, and it is in Sewanee, Tennessee. We used to play them in football Way, Way Back Before There Was A Day.

Never heard of it. Must be like The University of the United States. Really small school...

how-well-do-you-remember-coming-to-america-2-834-1445709695-4_dblbig.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom