Roy Williams Retiring / UNC hires Hubert Davis | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Roy Williams Retiring / UNC hires Hubert Davis

If you want continuity, the pick is Hop.

18 months ago I would’ve relayed to you that there was a 0% chance of him coming back.

But, with all things in life, they change. And I’d bet that’s very much a reality now. If it’s not, and the pick is still continuity... Flip a coin between Red & GMac right?

OR

You blow the thing up. National search, no more zone.

Last edited:
2 time PAC 12 coach of the year Mike Hopkins?
Great post though!
I really think Hop has a chance to turn it around at Washington. If he strings together a few good seasons in a row, he could still end up at Cuse. He’s the perfect fit for SU and is a dynamic personality and fantastic recruiter. He’s still trying to figure out the West Coast recruiting scene and needs better assistants. It’s too bad he didn’t get the USC job because he would have killed it there with all the talent in LA, especially with a guy like Jason Hart on the bench. For those people talking about how Wes Miller should have gotten the Carolina job, he had 5 straight losing seasons at UNC Greensboro before he got things on track. Coaches can turn things around or get back on track. It takes time. It took Mick Cronin 5 seasons before he finally made the NCAA tourney at Cincinnati when he was first hired. He then made it 9 straight seasons.

Last edited:

18 months ago I would’ve relayed to you that there was a 0% chance of him coming back.

But, with all things in life, they change. And I’d bet that’s very much a reality now.

OR

Yeah Hop will happen...

I really think Hop has a chance to turn it around at Washington. If he strings together a few good seasons in a row, he could still end up at Cuse. He’s the perfect fit for SU and is a dynamic personality and fantastic recruiter. He’s still trying to figure out the West Coast recruiting scene and needs bette assistants. It’s too bad he didn’t get the USC job because he would have killed it there with all the talent in LA, especially with a guy like Jason Hart on the bench. For those people talking about how Wes Miller should have gotten the Carolina job, he had 5 straight losing seasons at UNC Greensboro before he got things on track. Coaches can turn things around or get back on track. It takes time. It took Mick Cronin 5 seasons before he finally made the NCAA tourney at Cincinnati when he was first hired. He then made it 9 straight seasons.
he's had a a lot of talent at Washington, though. That team with Isiaah Stewart was pretty loaded...didn't do much. I am just not seeing it there...he doesn't seem to have a good read on game strategy and maximizing talent at his disposal. Good recruiter though.

Hop would be a great assistant coach for the program, imo.

he's had a a lot of talent at Washington, though. That team with Isiaah Stewart was pretty loaded...didn't do much. I am just not seeing it there...he doesn't seem to have a good read on game strategy and maximizing talent at his disposal. Good recruiter though.

Being a great game coach takes time...took JB a loooong time

They had no PG that season and McDaniels wasn’t good yet. He’s a great athlete w/ high upside but wasn’t ready to be a key contributor to a D1 CBB team.

Idk, I think the University of North Carolina basketball could do much better. I hope he turns out to be a great coach but if I am not mistaken has he had a head coaching job before? I may be thinking of someone else but If not good luck too because the ACC needs North Carolina to be where their supposed to be.

Nope this is Hubert Davis's 1st gig so the jury is out but I wish him luck just not against Syracuse lol

But, with all things in life, they change. And I’d bet that’s very much a reality now. If it’s not, and the pick is still continuity... Flip a coin between Red & GMac right?

OR

I don’t feel like the zone is Syracuse. Rather the zone is Boeheim. When eventually SU has to hire a new coach, I would want him to put his own stamp on the team and the program.

So, a max of $2.075M (with all bonuses) for coaching UNC?

I get it that he's a stretch, but that's weak.

I believe he was also given the option between taking an additional $1M or the university providing him with no academic standards whatsoever, completely fake academic departments to enroll his players into, and total immunity to NCAA punishment. I think he made a pretty solid choice.

With the way recruiting has fallen here, I think it’d be a wash.

Nope this is Hubert Davis's 1st gig so the jury is out but I wish him luck just not against Syracuse lol

He'll be coach Gut part II

Jeff Lebo perhaps.
See, I’m smart. Not like everybody says, like dumb.
C2A9DBFB-8EF3-44C0-AC95-26F2638E4A20.jpeg

Hubert Davis has apparently shartcanned Roy’s longtime right-hand man Steve Robinson.

I noticed that he wasn't on the staff. Quite surprising to me.

Hubert Davis was a long-time NBA player, so perhaps chasing the biggest salary wasn't a big deal to him -- landing the UNC gig WAS the big deal, and maybe him being OK with a lower price tag elevated him relative to other candidates he was competing against for the job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom