RPI | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

RPI

Boston College is a ZERO game. It will have no positive impact on our resume. It could only hurt us if we lose. I would rather just avoid that game and not get tired from it.

It would hurt our rpi, and who needs to agada of dealing with that game?

We're going to have to agree to disagree that 18-15 with an RPI ~80 gives us a 85-90% chance of being in... It is interesting/flawed that who we lose to in the second round does have some RPI impact.

There is actually another scenario I hadn't thought of. We don't have a first round bye locked up yet (currently we are #9 the last single bye slot). If we go 9-9 and GT bumps us out of the bye slot (or a 3-way 9-9 scenario that we lost tiebreaker) we could fall to the first round of ACC tournament...

Strangely... this would mean we get a 3rd game with 9-20 Boston College which might add a win (well hopefully) but might also drop our RPI despite the win for playing the #210 team. It could also mean us winning the next two rounds gets us to 20 wins at 20-15. Winning just in the second round gets us to 19-15 but against two lower ranked teams and probably still ~80 RPI.

I really dislike the double bye system. This year a 9-9 team may have to win 5 games in 5 days which is pretty impossible(I think UConn is only one ever to do it). 6 teams are in that spot and really have no chance despite some very talented teams. It's all just to protect the blue bloods from getting tired out before the NCAA tournament.

We'd have to make it to the ACC championship game to have a snowball's chance in hell of getting into the NCAAT at 9-9 in the regular season. If we get the 10 seed, the season is basically over.

edited to make sense haha

Last edited by a moderator:
Luckily for us - our rankings in other metrics (BPI, Sagrin, KenPom) prove that our RPI number is an outlier. We are seen much more favorably in the other 3 so much that you could almost throw out the RPI. I agree with jncuse however, an RPI of 99 is just too bad to include (not that we'd have a chance at that point). Anything under 80 is fair game IMO

We'd have to run the table in the ACCT to have a snowball's chance in hell of getting into the NCAAT at 9-9 in the regular season. If we get the 10 seed, the season is over.
If we ran the table in the ACCT, we'd be guaranteed to be in the NCAAT. ;)

We'd have to run the table in the ACCT to have a snowball's chance in hell of getting into the NCAAT at 9-9 in the regular season. If we get the 10 seed, the season is over.

This is a fairly common view that conference tourney games are worth much less than regular season... that I don't totally agree with. In this #10 seed scenario if we lost in the finals we would be 21-15 with at least two more top notch wins and almost certain to be in with a better ranking in every metric than going 10-8 with zero or 1 tourney win and 18 or 19 wins overall. It's unlikely but I do not think we would have to win ACC final if we lose to GT. Maybe not even the semis (going 20-15).

I do agree that with double byes the odds of any team winning 5 games in 5 days is like 0.5% likely playing in finals against a team on their third game. It's a dumb format.

This is a fairly common view that conference tourney games are worth much less than regular season... that I don't totally agree with. In this #10 seed scenario if we lost in the finals we would be 21-15 with at least two more top notch wins and almost certain to be in with a better ranking in every metric than going 10-8 with zero or 1 tourney win and 18 or 19 wins overall. It's unlikely but I do not think we would have to win ACC final if we lose to GT. Maybe not even the semis (going 20-15).

Yeah, I didn't word that post well. Making the ACC Championship game would do the trick. I agree we wouldn't have to win it.

Why did playing at UL have no impact on our RPI? I thought we were 78 before that game?

Why did playing at UL have no impact on our RPI? I thought we were 78 before that game?

Because its an awful and simplistic metric. RPI can actually get better after a loss and can get worse after a win.

beside rpi we're not getting any votes in the ap or coaches polls. if those polls were stretched out to say top 50 where do we land ? mid 40 's ?

Luckily for us - our rankings in other metrics (BPI, Sagrin, KenPom) prove that our RPI number is an outlier. We are seen much more favorably in the other 3 so much that you could almost throw out the RPI. I agree with jncuse however, an RPI of 99 is just too bad to include (not that we'd have a chance at that point). Anything under 80 is fair game IMO

This is interesting, especially since the committee is paying more attention to that other stuff this year than in year's past (although it won't be totally implemented til' next year). Our RPI may not even matter nearly as much as we all think right now. Currently, we are:

Syracuse 17-13
RPI: 75
BPI: 32
Sagarin: 39
Pomeroy: 51
Strength of Record: 53
Strength of Schedule: 22
Vs. Top 50: 6-7 (We're ~18th in number of top 50 wins)

Yeah, I didn't word that post well. Making the ACC Championship game would do the trick. I agree we wouldn't have to win it.
No 15 loss team has ever made the tourney. I wouldn't like our chances of being the first.

my point above is that the field is 68. and there will be a lot of automatic bids awarded. if we're ranked mid 40's (say 44 just cuz) then the competition math becomes {68-44-automatic bids = remaining slots} . could be a battle between say 10 teams after the conference titles.

my point above is that the field is 68. and there will be a lot of automatic bids awarded. if we're ranked mid 40's (say 44 just cuz) then the competition math becomes {68-44-automatic bids = remaining slots} . could be a battle between say 10 teams after the conference titles.
32 automatic bids are awarded. So, that means 36 at-large bids.

yes but a majority of the automatics are already ranked top 40. it's the outliers that stir up the soup.

yes but a majority of the automatics are already ranked top 40. it's the outliers that stir up the soup.
Yeah, I know. You said 'there will be a lot of automatic bids awarded'. I was just quantifying 'a lot'.

We'd have to make it to the ACC championship game to have a snowball's chance in hell of getting into the NCAAT at 9-9 in the regular season. If we get the 10 seed, the season is basically over.

edited to make sense haha

We don't need that much. 2 neutral court wins if we lose Sunday should be OK (especially if one is not BC). No point assessing in much detail until we actually lose.

This is a fairly common view that conference tourney games are worth much less than regular season... that I don't totally agree with.

I have not heard this view before. And I agree with you that the view is wrong. In fact it could be reasonably argued that conference tourney games are more important. The reason is that they are all neutral games, and a neutral court victory is worth much more than a home victory. (Yes a road victory is worth even more but we know how uncommon they are in the ACC) 2 top 50 neutral court victories totally changes your resume.

Last edited:
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute vs Syracuse University - Colleges Comparison
  • Syracuse is a Significantly Larger School: (21,492 vs. 6,835 Total Students)
  • RPI is Much More Difficult to Get In: (37.5% vs. 53.2% Acceptance Rate)
  • Syracuse Offers Considerably Cheaper Tuition: ($41,886 vs. $47,908 Tuition)
  • RPI Provides Much Better Freshmen Financial Aid: (92% vs. 73% of Eligible Freshmen Receive Aid)
  • RPI Students Graduate More in 6 Years: (84% vs. 82% Graduation Rate)
  • RPI Students Earn Considerably More Salary Post-Graduation: ($61,000 vs. $47,900 Median Salary)
  • RPI Has Slightly Smaller Class Sizes: (15:1 vs. 16:1 Student-Teacher Ratio)
  • RPI Has Slightly Hotter Summer Weather: (71°F vs. 70°F)
  • RPI Has Slightly Colder Winter Weather: (26°F vs. 27°F)

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute vs Syracuse University - Colleges Comparison
  • Syracuse is a Significantly Larger School: (21,492 vs. 6,835 Total Students)
  • RPI is Much More Difficult to Get In: (37.5% vs. 53.2% Acceptance Rate)
  • Syracuse Offers Considerably Cheaper Tuition: ($41,886 vs. $47,908 Tuition)
  • RPI Provides Much Better Freshmen Financial Aid: (92% vs. 73% of Eligible Freshmen Receive Aid)
  • RPI Students Graduate More in 6 Years: (84% vs. 82% Graduation Rate)
  • RPI Students Earn Considerably More Salary Post-Graduation: ($61,000 vs. $47,900 Median Salary)
  • RPI Has Slightly Smaller Class Sizes: (15:1 vs. 16:1 Student-Teacher Ratio)
  • RPI Has Slightly Hotter Summer Weather: (71°F vs. 70°F)
  • RPI Has Slightly Colder Winter Weather: (26°F vs. 27°F)

How is RPI's hoops team? :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom