Rule Changes In College Basketball | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Rule Changes In College Basketball

1. I agree if the women's game can be 30 seconds the men's game can be 30 seconds. The 5 less seconds reward good defenses and will create probably 15 possessions for each team a game.
2. I agree with this one as well moving the 3 point line back will stop teams from jacking 20-30 3pt FGA a game and relying on the 3 ball to stay in games and will force coaches to teach offense. Right a bunch of teams like Florida, VCU, Wichita St, play games where they depend on the 3 ball to compete. If you moved the 3 pt line back they wouldn't jack up all these 3 pt FGAs and if they did it would make the shots harder.
3. I completely disagree the foul limit is correct. NBA 48 minutes 6 fouls= 8 min/per foul, NCAA 40 minutes 5 fouls= 8min/per foul. The 5 foul limit is fine the suggestion that you are missing are the following.
4. NCAA hire the damn officials stop making them independent contractors. It would prevent wh*re referees from doing 4-5 games a WEEK. These officials are horrible because they are working too many damn games. I don't blame them as they are cashing in as much as possible in the free market. However, if the NCAA hired these officials and gave them 100k or something and charge the leagues for their expenses they could make the game better.
5. Stop rewarding flops and calling offensive fouls either its an obvious charge or call a damn block. I wish refs would stop calling these awful offensive fouls. The charge/block call is ruining college basketball.

Shot clock to 30? yes
Moving the three point line? No- have you seen how terrible teams are at shooting the three now?
6 fouls? NOO it will mean teams like PITT will muck up the game more!
I'd like a rule whereby if you are down more than 10 points with under 1 minute to go, there is a running clock if you foul or you get three shots... there is no need to meaninglessly extend games, it will never happen

I would decrease the timeouts a team can call to three per game. Maybe teams will have to stop calling timeout when a player is trapped; otherwise they will be left with no timeouts at the end of the game. I also don't think a team should be able to call timeout after a made basket. It seems to me your possession ends after you score.
Agreed, 5 is too many timeouts, and with the media ones added in, the timeouts really take away the flow of a game.

Strongly disagree. The college game is what it is. It is a blend of amatures with a wide range of skills. I use to watch the NBA but stopped when it became a 48 minute contest to be on a highlight reel. To move the college game in that direction would be a shame.

To each his own, obviously. I don't like watching games where teams just dribble around the perimeter or pass around for 25 or 30 seconds.

I said to someone this weekend that the college game was higher scoring when they had no shot clock and no 3 pointers. That kinda bothers me.

Just adopt FIBA rules and call it a day. There is no reason for the NCAA men's game to have it own set of rules that are different than FIBA, which are different from the NBA, which are different from women's.

How about calling the Kicked Ball violation correctly. It's not a kick when the offensive player throws an errant bounce pass that happens to hit the defender below the knee. The defender actually has to have the intent of striking the ball with his foot or leg, which I would assume in most cases means he has to move his foot or leg into the path of the ball.

Rule 4 - Definitions
Section 45. Kicking the Ball
Art. 1. Kicking the ball is striking it intentionally with any part of the leg or the
foot.
Art. 2. Accidentally striking the ball with the foot or leg shall not be a violation.

Rule 9 - Violations
Section 6. Travel, Kick, Fist, Through Basket from Below
A player shall not travel or run with the ball, intentionally kick it, strike it with
the fist or cause it to pass through the basket and enter the cylinder from below.

JAB's preferred rule changes:
1. Widen the foul lane
2. Move the 3-pt line back

Makes sense, both rules would aid the zone defense.

• 3 time outs for the entire game. it's almost impossible to run out of time outs unless you're Pete Gillen.
  • 3 pt line needs to be rebranded as the 2 pt line... anything inside the line is 3 pts... anything outside is 2 pts. If we are supposed to be rewarding difficulty, the mid-range game is actually the toughest shot for a Div I athlete in this day and age.

I agree that 6 fouls is too many. Players will be over agressive. However, I do like the idea that a charge doesn't count as a personal foul. Definitely move the 3-point line back - It seems like the players shoot from the pro one anyway. I would keep the shot clock where it is. I think college players need all 35 seconds. I've never been a big fan of the one-and-one.

Agree on the 10 seconds to get the ball over half court not resetting with a time out. Don't understand why that is. Give the defense some credit for making it tough to get it over half court.

Also, a change to the rule on the jump stop. Some players take a huge jump forward or up as their jump stop. I don't know how the jump stop became acceptable, but some guys get a huge advantage with it. I hate seeing it at all, but a little hop I can accept, not the huge ones.

can someone tell me why ncaa doesn't use the jump ball instead of the possession arrow?

make the game like LAX you need to attempt to enter the paint to get the reward of the full 35 secs.. you have say 10-15 secs to try an entry pass. that stops the dribble and do nothing. this also forces teams trying to stall late from just standing.. this means teams dont need to flat out foul at the end as teams will have to attempt to do something with the ball or shoot it.

the shot clock needs to be shortened. go back and watch the last few SU games.. SU takes 5-10 secs, other team 30-35 of which the last 5 is the only real offense they attempt

or make it like LAX again with the stalling rule.. show effort or lose the ball

30 seconds would be a good change. It would still allow for different styles.

If a defensive play results in a jump ball, the ball should go to the defence.

Cracking down on charges and flops. There shouldn't be 10+ of those calls in a single game.

change the 3 second call to 8 seconds.

the 3 point shot should be worth only 2.5 points.. make the reward = the effort ! anyone can just chuck it!

traveling should be after 3 steps to make it easier for refs.

flopping (don't get me started) is the plague of basketball and the most egregious and outrageous act in all of the sports world. "Flops" should result in a one-season suspension and 5 years team probation and ineligibility for induction into the HOF (coach and player of record).

lastly, I'd like to see the ability for at least one player on each team be allowed to use motorized transport... maybe a segway or something. They won't be required to use it...just allowed. Could have a sort of test period to see if it catches on. Players get tired...this could help with that issue.

And damn it...bring back the jump ball after every basket. Pissed me off when they did away with that.

Only one change is needed. In games that the Cuse plays - there will be a 5 man committe of Cuse fans who upon a 3 to 2 vote can call for a review of any play or foul. Upon a unanimous 5 person vote the foul or play in question will be reversed automatically sans review.

That should put an end to any griping about officiating on this forum.