Rumor Alert: Now Miami is being discussed with FSU to B12 | Syracusefan.com

Rumor Alert: Now Miami is being discussed with FSU to B12

Lol this will never happen. Both schools want to have at least some control, and they will lose all control to Texas if they went to the Big 12

While I still remain skeptical of FSU to the Big 12, if the Seminoles do decide to go, I firmly believe Miami will follow them.

Cheers,
Neil

While I still remain skeptical of FSU to the Big 12, if the Seminoles do decide to go, I firmly believe Miami will follow them.

Cheers,
Neil

Neil,

Love to hear your thoughts on the last couple days and the contracts.

Neil,

Love to hear your thoughts on the last couple days and the contracts.

I try never to say "never" but in all honesty I didn't think there was much behind the Big 12 rumors involving FSU.

Clemson was more likely, I thought, but immaterial to the discussion since the Big 12 wouldn't take them without FSU moving. But in hindsight, I do believe that in much the same manner that the Big Ten used Missouri as a stalking horse, perhaps the Big 12 used Clemson to do most the backroom manuevering to at least pique some FSU interest amongst major donors.

There was an awful lot of smoke, mostly from the WVU boards, but also a lot on the Clemson boards. Warchant, however, remained steadfast in their denial that there was anything to this. There wasn't much from the usual Texas sources either. So, the only thing in my mind that would make this even a remote possibility was a bad ESPN deal. Bad, obviously being subjected. The ACC contract is indeed good from an SU/Pitt perspective, but to an FSU, it's bad - plain and simple.

Now, all of a sudden, Warchant is seemingly on the bandwagon. Denials by presidents and ADs don't mean much to me, since we've seen these denials before.

Like I said above, I still think the chances of FSU actually going to the Big 12 is small, but it could happen. And if it does, they aren't going alone.

Some think this is all a ploy to get ESPN to negotiate a higher deal. But I'm not convinced it's that, no less that it would have a chance of succeeding if it were.

Still, even if nothing happens this year, I don't think these rumors are going to die down soon. A&M failed in their first attempt to get into the SEC, but a year later, they succeeded.

Cheers,
Neil

At this point would anybody really be surprised if multiple teams jumped to form an eastern division with WVU?

What in the hell is going on here?
next it will be miami,clemson and fsu to big 12, maryland,unc and va to big 10,vandy to acc,va tech to sec,harvey mudd to the pac 12,suny stoneybrook big east,etc etc .all privates will form their own conference enforcing academic requirements and subsequently will fall off the face of the earth. pbs will pay 115 billion over 15 yrs for the rights to the ivy league---which will surprisingly draw 65% of the northeast tv market---rutgers will finally win the big east and no one but them will give sh.. . billy edlin will resurface and get his degree--for which we all will be happy---nd --everyone will be sick of them---the possibilities here are truly endless----st.johns and fordham will become nyc teams

Well, the WVU board is now reporting that the Baylor board is reporting that PITT is making inquiries about joining the Big 12.

It appears that the Big 12 is now perceived as Nirvana by an unprecedented number of universities located east of the Alleghenies (as well as those located on the Allegheny River). The opportunity to schedule a trip to Morgantown every other year and regular trips to Ames, Iowa, Lubbock, Texas and Stillwater, Oklahoma appear to have far more sex appeal to college presidents, ADs, trustees and boosters than the effete northeasterner will ever begin to understand.

The incredibly odd thing is that if FSU and Miami could get it together on the field, they would not be worrying about 3rd tier rights. Where they are right now given their level of recruiting is hard to fathom. Florida State is always in the top 10, sometimes number 1, and they just have not been able to reclaim the high level of success that leaps to mind when you think "Florida State Football." Miami I can understand to some degree given the off the field problems they've had.

the bevo with flast and miami would make some sense i guess, but i cant see why thats favorable over the ACC.

a million dollars or 2 aint what it used to be.

And now it's officially jumped the shark if it hasn't already. A private school with a smaller fanbase in the same footprint as the other school that's being rumored? Made sense for the ACC, makes zero sense for the Big 12.

Yeah...

next it will be miami,clemson and fsu to big 12, maryland,unc and va to big 10,vandy to acc,va tech to sec,harvey mudd to the pac 12,suny stoneybrook big east,etc etc .all privates will form their own conference enforcing academic requirements and subsequently will fall off the face of the earth. pbs will pay 115 billion over 15 yrs for the rights to the ivy league---which will surprisingly draw 65% of the northeast tv market---rutgers will finally win the big east and no one but them will give sh.. . billy edlin will resurface and get his degree--for which we all will be happy---nd --everyone will be sick of them---the possibilities here are truly endless----st.johns and fordham will become nyc teams

You laugh...but think about this.
IF the B1G and $EC were to expand (and that's a big if), they'd be looking for schools that are of a similar caliber to their current membership. As we all know, there isn't exactly a large pool of institutions available to make the jump right now.

But IF the B12 were able to poach some ACC squads (and that's an even bigger if), how difficult would it be for the B1G and $EC to lure away some other choice ACC schools?

I don't believe any of this is even remotely possible, but who would have thought anything that we see today would have been possible 5 years ago?

I try never to say "never" but in all honesty I didn't think there was much behind the Big 12 rumors involving FSU.

Clemson was more likely, I thought, but immaterial to the discussion since the Big 12 wouldn't take them without FSU moving. But in hindsight, I do believe that in much the same manner that the Big Ten used Missouri as a stalking horse, perhaps the Big 12 used Clemson to do most the backroom manuevering to at least pique some FSU interest amongst major donors.

There was an awful lot of smoke, mostly from the WVU boards, but also a lot on the Clemson boards. Warchant, however, remained steadfast in their denial that there was anything to this. There wasn't much from the usual Texas sources either. So, the only thing in my mind that would make this even a remote possibility was a bad ESPN deal. Bad, obviously being subjected. The ACC contract is indeed good from an SU/Pitt perspective, but to an FSU, it's bad - plain and simple.

Now, all of a sudden, Warchant is seemingly on the bandwagon. Denials by presidents and ADs don't mean much to me, since we've seen these denials before.

Like I said above, I still think the chances of FSU actually going to the Big 12 is small, but it could happen. And if it does, they aren't going alone.

Some think this is all a ploy to get ESPN to negotiate a higher deal. But I'm not convinced it's that, no less that it would have a chance of succeeding if it were.

Still, even if nothing happens this year, I don't think these rumors are going to die down soon. A&M failed in their first attempt to get into the SEC, but a year later, they succeeded.

Cheers,
Neil

It must kill, I mean KILL FSU that aTm and Mizzou are fine dining in the SEC right now while their plan for a windfall involves them joining a league of 9 schools in the midwest/southwest, and 1 school in the mountains of nowhereville, USA. And they have to drag Miami with them just to make it work.

Somewhere in Florida, Bobby Bowden weeps. Probably Jimmy Johnson too.

I understand the money side. I understand the idea that some folks might feel slighted by NC mafia. What I don't understand is that if you are FSU or Miami, it has to be more valuable to have a sustained presence on the Atlantic seaboard, where most of their alumni are based, than Kansas, Iowa, Texas, Oklahoma, etc. I have no data to back up my assumption, but I have to think that outside of Florida, most of FSU's students come from within, and alumni are based within, the ACC footprint.

Is this as simple as a reaction to the 4 Conference Champions to the playoffs scenario?
The B1G, SEC, and PAC-12 are set every year and have their turf staked out, leaving Big 12 vs. ACC for the last spot. Unfortunately, the Big 12 is looking to firmly establish a BIG FOUR and can take advantage of unhappy ACC schools to do it.

The bright side is it looks like they might end up going to 16 to kill off the ACC. At which point the SEC may respond and grab this wave of ACC defectors to increase their ranks (with other schools going to the other three conferences). Then, hopefully, SU can join the next batch of fill-ins for the Big 12 East Division or possibly the B1G.

The bright side is it looks like they might end up going to 16 to kill off the ACC. At which point the SEC may respond and grab this wave of ACC defectors to increase their ranks (with other schools going to the other three conferences). Then, hopefully, SU can join the next batch of fill-ins for the Big 12 East Division or possibly the B1G.

I don't think there is a bright side. If the ACC falls apart over the contract/FSU fiasco the best we could be looking at is staying with the left over schools in some sort of merged BE/ACC.

That said I don't see the ACC falling apart.

Could FSU and Miami be trying to leverage the $EC into bringing them in as 15 and 16, rather than seeing them go elsewhere and having to settle for lesser brands when they do go to 16?

I cannot see a cultural fit between schools such as Syracuse, Wake, Duke, Boston College, UVA, UNC, Maryland, Pitt and VT and the Big 12. Or Rutgers and UCONN and the Big 12 for that matter. Part of it is academic. Most Big 12 schools can barely graduate 1 out of every 3 entering freshmen. Part is geography. Part is differing perceptions on the role of intercollegiate athletics; eastern students just don't care that much about their alma mater winning a MNC in football. Ultimately, I think Florida State and Miami/Clemson will realize they have no business in the Big 12 but with WVU fans and Big 12 Boosters fanning the flames it will be an unsettled period for the foreseeable future.

Could FSU and Miami be trying to leverage the $EC into bringing them in as 15 and 16, rather than seeing them go elsewhere and having to settle for lesser brands when they do go to 16?

The SEC passed on FSU and Miami and added Missouri. That should probably be a sign for FSU on how forcing the SEC's hand would work out.

Even if they went to the Big 12, all the SEC would have to do is pick up the phone. FSU and Miami would join before they hung up the phone.