Rumor: Notre Dame driving force to make SU stay until 2014 | Syracusefan.com

Rumor: Notre Dame driving force to make SU stay until 2014

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
I'm starting the rumor, did your BP just go up a notch or two? It wouldn't surprise me though if they are supporting that stance.

It is my contention that the Big East has to see when they can get the conference (without SU & Pitt) back up to the number required to maintain their BCS bid. Say the BE gets two other teams from conferences that will let then join immediately, then there would be no more need to hold both of us captives.

Personally I don't think that will happen in 2012 but I could see us getting out by 2013.

Brent Axe was getting all bent out of shape over what he called a childish stance by the BE commisioner. I just think he is doing his job.

ND standing by Big East through tumult

I'm starting the rumor, did your BP just go up a notch or two? It wouldn't surprise me though if they are supporting that stance.

It is my contention that the Big East has to see when they can get the conference (without SU & Pitt) back up to the number required to maintain their BCS bid. Say the BE gets two other teams from conferences that will let then join immediately, then there would be no more need to hold both of us captives.

Personally I don't think that will happen in 2012 but I could see us getting out by 2013.

Brent Axe was getting all out of shape over what he called a childish stance by the BE commisioner. I just think he is doing his job.

ND standing by Big East through tumult

Agree. If the BE gets a couple of the programs it is after to maintain it's BCS status, this 27 month business will go out the window and things will start to move fast, whether it's 2012 or 2013. Depends on how quickly the new schools can come over to the BE and start playing. At that point, it will be in no one's best interest to keep SU and Pitt chained to the conference. Also agree that Marinatto is handling the situation the only way he can since maintaining it's BCS status is the primary objective for the BE right now.

That's the big thing IMO, if 2 teams do agree to join (whenever that happens) those 2 teams may not be able to join until 2013. If that's the case we are definitely not going anywhere.

...believe the worst...if Mizzou goes or stays and dependent on either #10 or #10,#11,#12 to potentially fill the Big 12...the one or more teams come from the BE unless BYU is the 10th and Big 12 stops...if not, the BE looses 1-3 teams...and no one will want to join...so either BE football either disbands or stays put with minimum teams...under which 'Cuse and Pitt don't go anywhere until 27 months are counted...ugh!

If 3 more intend to leave, those left behind will insist on 27 months so that they can get every last possible cent out of the current situation.

I agree with all this, OE.

I also would think ND is pissed at SU since JB was complaining about them voting down the football contract. I think all the football schools were upset about that and it needed to be said.

But OE I would suggest if you want to start a rumor correctly, you should do it how the rest of the media has been. Delete the word "rumor" and replace with the word "sources".

Doesn't this look much more official:

Sources: Notre Dame driving force to make SU stay until 2014

I agree with all this, OE.

I also would think ND is pissed at SU since JB was complaining about them voting down the football contract. I think all the football schools were upset about that and it needed to be said.

But OE I would suggest if you want to start a rumor correctly, you should do it how the rest of the media has been. Delete the word "rumor" and replace with the word "sources".

Doesn't this look much more official:

Sources: Notre Dame driving force to make SU stay until 2014
I debated that with myself, sources, rumor, sources, rumor and at 12:25 AM for whatever the reason I typed Rumor & hit create thread.
Either one would have been clarified in the subject body.

ND cares about nd and that's it. The big east is so weak they need notre dame to step and make the tough decisions because it's obvious the current leaders have no clue how to run a conference. This benefits nd because the longer things are delayed, the longer they can hold off making a decision to join a conference or remain independent. If the ACC is ever stupid enough to let the irish make the calls and be in the olympic sports then the ACC will be heading towards the joke the big east has been and is.

End of the day I'll be stunned if it's 27 months. The last thing the Big East needs is either us or Pitt to start winning stuff, most likely Big East tournaments and whatever lousy bowl bids the conference has.

The hoops are still top notch and they don't need their middle pack schools pushed onto the March Bubble because of either Pitt or us.

Right now this is a bunch of old school inbreds in Providence being bitter. At some point cooler heads will prevail.

Since Syracuse wanted the last offer by ESPN and it was voted down, could that in any way help speed this process up for us in any way? Hey, I want to find any possible loophole to get out of this conference.

Since Syracuse wanted the last offer by ESPN and it was voted down, could that in any way help speed this process up for us in any way? Hey, I want to find any possible loophole to get out of this conference.

I imagine there are alot of angles SU admins can take on this one to get out sooner but their hands are tied until the league gets replacements and it's known when the earliest replacements start. That's when SU & Pitt can go hard at Marianno and the rest of the schools. I am sure this could include a lawsuit. Isn't Pitt's AD a lawyer?

If 3 more intend to leave, those left behind will insist on 27 months so that they can get every last possible cent out of the current situation.

That might be the case for FB. I can see the left behinds wanting to milk out those 2012 and 2013 seasons before heading to the Alliance. However it makes zero sense to hold the BBall team. The BBall contract ends after the 2011-12 season. No TV network is going to pay a premium on 10 year contract for 2 years of BBall from the teams leaving. It would be dumb of them. So if there isn't money to be made, keeping the teams would be for spite only.

I imagine there are alot of angles SU admins can take on this one to get out sooner but their hands are tied until the league gets replacements and it's known when the earliest replacements start. That's when SU & Pitt can go hard at Marianno and the rest of the schools. I am sure this could include a lawsuit. Isn't Pitt's AD a lawyer?

Lawsuit? We were duped into approving the by laws. We are stuck.

There might be an out clause depending on the big east not doing a damn thing to improve football and they wait until we leave before they do anything.

Oh right ... because no one has ever gotten out of a contract in America before ... that makes me wonder why lawyers are even needed :rolleyes:

"......but their hands are tied until the league gets replacements and it's known when the earliest replacements start." And therein lies the key because that will trigger everything else. So all we can do is pull for the BE to get the replacements signed up and get them playing asap. And additionally, whoever the replacements are, they will have to be BCS quality because that's the primary objective for the conference right now. If those 2 things happen, we'll be out of here in a reasonably short period of time. If the replacement thing drags on, for whatever the reasons, we'll be stuck here longer than we want to be, until everything gets sorted out.

One nice thing about the long wait is that SU's QB will be in his second year of starting unless Loeb starts the year before.

I'd like to see us tell the basketball schools that we'll never play them again if they want to hold us to the 27 months.

A. I bit when I read the title. I was getting ready for an anti-ND vindictive rant.

B. I hope the football side of the BE is dissolved by the BB schools. Let the ACC scoop up UCONN & whomever.

A. I bit when I read the title. I was getting ready for an anti-ND vindictive rant.

B. I hope the football side of the BE is dissolved by the BB schools. Let the ACC scoop up UCONN & whomever.

No way, UConn to the MAC. Imagine a budding UMass-UConn rivalry.

I'd like to see us tell the basketball schools that we'll never play them again if they want to hold us to the 27 months.

Threats aren't necessary, and one doesn't want to burn any bridges.

I do, however, like the idea of SU playing one big neutral game a year in NYC, Philly, or D.C. (rotating among the venues). These games do not have to come against St John's, Villanova, or Georgetown. Games, against Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, Michigan State, etc would do nicely. Whether schools like St John's, Villanova, or Georgetown want to be considered should be largely up to them...if you get my drift.

Threats aren't necessary, and one doesn't want to burn any bridges.

I do, however, like the idea of SU playing one big neutral game a year in NYC, Philly, or D.C. (rotating among the venues). These games do not have to come against St John's, Villanova, or Georgetown. Games, against Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, Michigan State, etc would do nicely. Whether schools like St John's, Villanova, or Georgetown want to be considered should be largely up to them...if you get my drift.

Burning bridges with the basketball side? Fine by me. Upside of leaving early and getting an extra $7M-$10M per year > Villanova's feelings.

ND has always stood 100% behind the Big East...

080918-122724-349007.jpg

Hopefully, we'll be the driving force that gets ND into the ACC in 2014, as well.