Running Back | Syracusefan.com

Running Back

Faegan

All Conference
Assuming everyone is healthy, we should have quality depth for the next few years. Everyone on the list below will be here this coming season and the one following:

Jerome
PTG
AAM
Rene
Devante
George

PLUS: Broyld

Does everyone stay or will some be moved?

Assuming everyone is healthy, we should have quality depth for the next few years. Everyone on the list below will be here this coming season and the one following:

Jerome
PTG
AAM
Rene
Devante
George

PLUS: Broyld

Does everyone stay or will some be moved?
I think everyone stays - depending on what Devante shows when he gets to school - if he's a very good RB prospect then he stays.

Rene is a RB in name only - he's really a special teamer.

Jerome and PTG are upper classmen - no point in moving them anywhere as they're likely coming into their prime and will be important pieces of the offense.

Where else would AAM even play? FB I guess being the other option.

Devante and George will be true frosh with the option to RS and see if they're true BCS level RBs before making any meaningful decision on them. If they're legit, they stay - if not, they get moved, but they're still in HS so no point in speculating until they're enrolled and get their shot.

Keep an eye on Devante moving to LB. Kid is a hell of an athlete and plays both sides of the ball really well.

Just looking at highlights (and I know that can be dangerous), I like George Morris a lot.

Keep an eye on Devante moving to LB. Kid is a hell of an athlete and plays both sides of the ball really well.

One in the know on this board stated that MacFarlane would make a great Safety FWIW.

LB...really? He's listed at 6'1" and 195lbs and is about as ripped as a HS senior can be. I'm not sure he has the body type to put on the necessary weight to play LB. I think he would make a great safety.

LB...really? He's listed at 6'1" and 195lbs and is about as ripped as a HS senior can be. I'm not sure he has the body type to put on the necessary weight to play LB. I think he would make a great safety.

I think a bunch of schools projected him as a safety/db but we're bringing him in as an athlete - and the kid sure is a heck of an athlete.

In case anyone forgot:

rec_morris1x_600.jpg

The law of averages would mean that you can remove at least one name from the list due to academic trouble, one name for injury and another name for someone who just doesn't pan out. Throw in some jurisprudence and we are down to 2 viable candidates.

Trebuchet = my tongue-in-cheek font.

One in the know on this board stated that MacFarlane would make a great Safety FWIW.

Imagine him in press coverage as a CB. He would pops receivers off their routes and be able to catch up to them if he got beat. He has D written all over him.

Imagine him in press coverage as a CB. He would pops receivers off their routes and be able to catch up to them if he got beat. He has D written all over him.

Depends on his acceleration and who quick his hip turn is after the initial jam. I'm sure he could find a home in the secondary somewhere if RB isn't in the cards though.

It's kind of funny trying to project kids that we havent even seen in college yet.

I think long term you will see AAM Morris carry the rock for Syracuse with Devonte being that change of pace back who also gets thrown out in the slot. PTG, Morris, Devonte provide the second gear that we have been missing for sometime. Flash is someone that you want to create space for. I dont see him as a between the tackles kind of guy so look for counters, delays, quick pitch swing passes anything to get him one on one with a backer or cb. It is nice that we are adding some playmakers on the O side now if we can just find an OL we may actually have something.

Depends on his acceleration and who quick his hip turn is after the initial jam. I'm sure he could find a home in the secondary somewhere if RB isn't in the cards though.

It's kind of funny trying to project kids that we havent even seen in college yet.

As far as his acceleration goes, it looks good on film. Hip quickness is hard to tell at this point.

Can't wait to see how all of this shakes out.

Smith will start, and get the most carries a game. Gulley will split time with Smith, will also get many carries. AAM will get a few carries a game, especially in short yardage situations. Broyld will be moved around a lot. Rene is a special teamer. McFarlane and Morris will redshirt. I hope McFarlane stays on offense, and they use him as a slot receiver. We've moved our explosive players, like Reddish, to the defensive side. It's time to keep some on the offensive side.

In case anyone forgot:

rec_morris1x_600.jpg

Am I wrong or did I read a long time ago that Morris HS coach thought he would play on Sunday's and was better than he was getting credit for. I believe it was when we first started hearing about our interest in him. I am very excited to see him Orange!

Id be shocked if Devonte isnt moved to LB, look for him to redshirt and be ready to contribute next year. With the decomits this past year killing our incoming LB class I dont see how the staff keeps him at RB.

Devonte definitely has the frame to carry 220, and probably carry it without losing much, if any quickness. While he may be "ripped", it's more of a result of lower body fat than just muscle mass. A lot of these NYS are no where finished products as far as strength and conditioning is concerned. If he does not end up at RB, I would fully expect him to compete at LB after a redshirt year.

Unlike Broyld, this would not be a move to shore up depth per say at linebacker -- McFarlane knows he has been recruited as an athlete with an equal chance he ends up on D. That statement is not indicative of Broyld per say, it was meant to highlight McFarlane's ability as a defensive player. Devonte could also end up as a hybrid SS/LB type, ala a Taylor Mays at USC (and I'm not saying he is Taylor Mays by any stretch) -- whaty I am saying is that he size/skill set could afford us to throw a few different defensive looks without having to substitute personnel.

The great thing about Shafer is he understands our recruiting limitations thus far, and that very few programs can recruit 6'3" 235 linebackers than can run. Shafer is on record as saying we'd rather go 6'1" 220 and be able to run and stop the spread offense than bulk up and struggle with a spread (ala the Jerry Mackey days). That's why I believe he may be looked at at LB before secondary.

As a team, we had almost 400 carries last year. Nassib accounted for 65 of those, so lets say 20 of those were sacks. So there are 380 available carries.

I think Jerome gets close to 200 of these, Gulley will get 100, but another 50 or so receiving. Add in about 15 WR end arounds and you're at 315. I think depending on what shape AAM gets into post-injury and how George Morris comes in depends on who gets the rest of the snaps. I also think Rene will be used as a dump off 3rd down RB and get his fair share of catches.

It's so nice to finally have enough weapons coming into a season that we have depth debates starting now about not having enough reps to go around. I think Broyld will take away slot reps from backs and wide outs and we might actually be okay if some one goes down. I agree with the above posters who said Devante should move to LB. I think Morris is going to be so special he gets reps as soon as he steps on campus. Just look at his ability to put his foot in the ground and cut without losing speed. That type of running style in zone blocking equals huge success IMO

As a team, we had almost 400 carries last year. Nassib accounted for 65 of those, so lets say 20 of those were sacks. So there are 380 available carries.

I think Jerome gets close to 200 of these, Gulley will get 100, but another 50 or so receiving. Add in about 15 WR end arounds and you're at 315. I think depending on what shape AAM gets into post-injury and how George Morris comes in depends on who gets the rest of the snaps. I also think Rene will be used as a dump off 3rd down RB and get his fair share of catches.
Hey Bnoro i wish i knew that you were at the spring game as i would have like to have met you and introduced you to my father and our gang. As you know i live in CO and saw AAM play in HS. Let me say that if he dedicates himself he has a chance to be special. The kid has really good vision and is so quick on his feet. I hope he comes back in great shape as he in my opinion has more upside than Smith who is going to be good as well.

Hey Bnoro i wish i knew that you were at the spring game as i would have like to have met you and introduced you to my father and our gang. As you know i live in CO and saw AAM play in HS. Let me say that if he dedicates himself he has a chance to be special. The kid has really good vision and is so quick on his feet. I hope he comes back in great shape as he in my opinion has more upside than Smith who is going to be good as well.
My only worry with AAM is that him being out all spring isn't helping his conditioning problem. If he was healthy I feel he could have committed himself but now it will take twice the effort from him. I hope he can rally and be a big player for us.

Id be shocked if Devonte isnt moved to LB, look for him to redshirt and be ready to contribute next year. With the decomits this past year killing our incoming LB class I dont see how the staff keeps him at RB.
Decommits? Who decomitted beside Brantley?