running | Syracusefan.com

running

Marty McFly

Resident Lurker
I am trying to get back into shape and want to start getting into jogging/running and wanted to get folks' opinion on best layering options for cold weather (<40 degree) gear. I am not one who generally wears tights, which appears to be the rage from everything I see online. Any help would be appreciated.

I can contribute nothing but looking forward to this thread as I truly am curious.

Also interested in this! I’ve never once jogged outside in the winter, but am looking for different ways to exercise this winter with pickup hoops not being an option.

I am trying to get back into shape and want to start getting into jogging/running and wanted to get folks' opinion on best layering options for cold weather (<40 degree) gear. I am not one who generally wears tights, which appears to be the rage from everything I see online. Any help would be appreciated.
Longtime runner here. There are a lot of ways to answer this question but a couple immediate observations:

- For cold weather, a lot of it comes down to personal preference, especially for leg coverings. I generally stick with a running windpant with running shorts underneath. Running windpants are good because usually they are cut thinner than standard exercise pants, warm-ups, etc. Some folks wear tights as their stand alone layer- not my preference. The key thing on a running windpant- you don't need a super high end brand (Nike, Brooks, etc) to get a functional piece of clothing. Especially if you're not running many miles. Don't be afraid to check a store like Target. If it gets really cold (>15 degrees) then I layer a tight underneath.

- Vests are good for temps ranging from say 25-40 degrees when combined with a short/long sleeve combo. Aim for something that wicks- no cotton. Same goes for the shirts. Again, you don't need to run out and grab outrageously expensive clothing- not to beat the financial drum over and over but some novice runners I know get spooked by price tags. Trust me, some of the most comfortable stuff I have was off the clearance rack.

- One area that works for cotton? Gloves and hats. Again, personal preference.

- One area you should spend a little more money? Socks. Especially if you're running through snow and sludge. A good pair of socks is your friend.

Hope this helps. If you have specific questions on types of gear or anything happy to help. Remember that there is no one answer- personal preference plays a big role.

Not a runner, but I spend a lot of time outdoors in the cold. My favorite material I’ve discovered is Merino wool. This isn’t that old school itchy stuff either. I cannot believe How warm, thin, COMFORTABLE and moisture wicking it is. It even has natural odor absorbing properties. Another of my favorite things about it is, when it gets hot out or you get hot, it feels almost cool. It’s really a magic material. You’ll pay a premium for it, but of all the things I buy this stuff is worth every penny. I fish at 5-10 degrees in wind constantly and I wear top, bottoms, and socks. Only technology or material for clothing in my lifetime that has come close to amazing me this much, has been Gortex.

ask Lamar he seems to know how to handle running in cold weather

Keep the feet, ears and hands warm first and foremost. Always remember you should be somewhat cold when you start running because if you aren't you have way too much stuff on and you will be taking layers off once you get warmed up and that sucks. I like to be flat out cold when I start, I hate having too much gear on

Agreed on the merino wool, it's pricey but it's great in the cold, really wicks moisture and doesn't get cold when wet like cotton type fabrics, nothing worst then being wet and starting to get cold from the excessive moisture trapped in.

Smart wool makes great shirts that have hoods, zippers etc. I will run on a 18-20 degree day with two of those on and a best or windbreaker. The stuff is expensive but it really does make a difference.

As far as running I would start walking, then some running some walking until you get fit enough to run a couple miles without stopping, see too many people start running too fast, too far and wind up just getting hurt.

I never use to run indoors but after about 25 years I do have quite a few treadmill days in the winter. I just can't do it on some of the real cold days anymore. My wife would rather be shot than run on a treadmill.

I'm a former runner/jogger with a marathon and some long distance races in my past. I mostly do longish walks these days. I agree 100% on the Merino wool and Smartwool recommendations. Also, insulated running pants > tights.

I'm a former runner/jogger with a marathon and some long distance races in my past. I mostly do longish walks these days. I agree 100% on the Merino wool and Smartwool recommendations. Also, insulated running pants > tights.
any suggestions on specific insulated running pants you like? Is it worth getting a balaclava or neck warmer?

any suggestions on specific insulated running pants you like? Is it worth getting a balaclava or neck warmer?
I have a couple of old pairs of running pants from Nike and New Balance, but the models are out-of-date now. Dick’s and Fleet Feet around Syracuse sell that kind of stuff. Something with pockets would be best to carry keys, snot rags, phone or MP3 player, etc. Reflective trim is good, too, with all the distracted drivers out there.

Some kind of winter hat + thin neck warmer or gaiter is helpful if it’s < 40. The balaclavas that I’ve seen are fairly heavy, so I wouldn’t want to use them unless the wind chill was pretty low. I haven’t tried any of the high tech balaclavas, though.

Not a runner, but I spend a lot of time outdoors in the cold. My favorite material I’ve discovered is Merino wool. This isn’t that old school itchy stuff either. I cannot believe How warm, thin, COMFORTABLE and moisture wicking it is. It even has natural odor absorbing properties. Another of my favorite things about it is, when it gets hot out or you get hot, it feels almost cool. It’s really a magic material. You’ll pay a premium for it, but of all the things I buy this stuff is worth every penny. I fish at 5-10 degrees in wind constantly and I wear top, bottoms, and socks. Only technology or material for clothing in my lifetime that has come close to amazing me this much, has been Gortex.

I bought some Merino Wool socks last winter because I was tired of my feet being numb for the next few hours when I came back in from snow blowing the driveway.

Amazing stuff. My feet haven’t gotten cold since.

Those that have run in the winter, do you just run in your regular running sneakers? Seems like you could get wet feet pretty easily and quickly in regular running sneakers?

Those that have run in the winter, do you just run in your regular running sneakers? Seems like you could get wet feet pretty easily and quickly in regular running sneakers?
Nike Shield series was made just for running in wet conditions. Waterproof running shoes. Or should I say water resistant, although I don’t remember my feet getting wet in them and I stomp around snow and water all the time. They’re my everyday pair for work. The bonus is they still have the React sole.

I wear my regular shoes. My wife is a big fan of using yak traks in the snow. I’ve never gone that route.

some really good recommendations already. One thought on an earlier recommendation about vests. One of the drawbacks to a vest as a layer is that it’s not tie able if you warm up and need to shed a layer.

I have two pair of running pants. One is very thin and is good to maybe 40 degrees. I also use that same pair with hot chillys long underwear for temps below 20. In between, I wear slight insulated pants. Typically with longer compression short underwear beneath. I like to wear a normal wickaway shirt as my first top layer, and then a long sleeve wicking shirt. I have three different weights I can wear depending on the temp. I wear a windbreaker light jacket over. Helps with the wind and if it starts raining/snowing during the run.

I also like to start off running cold. If you’re warm right away, you’ll quickly be over heated. I wear a blended material hat that’s not very heavy, but enough to keep my ears warm. I have a light pair of ASICS gloves. In colder temps, I pull my fingers out and make a fist in the palm area to keep the heat.

I normally wear regular running socks, usually Balega cushioned ones, unless it’s very cold. I’ll wear long socks, typically merino wool, that I wear for cross country skiing.

Conrad13 is also a long time runner who should chime in here.

Oh, I also use a light neck gaiter lately. Easy to pull up or down depending on how warm you are or how close other folks are to you. When it drops below 20, I’ll wear my balaclava

Both of mine are Nike, but that’s just chance. I buy depending on price. Got both on sale.

well tried my first cold weather run yesterday... regular running shoes (only ate it twice, granted it was on black ice where I lost traction),regular sweat pants, and couple wicking shirts (sort sleeve, layered with long sleeve), and a summer wind/rain jacket. I was freezing starting out, and was really skeptical about staying warm, but my torso was surprisingly fine, my legs got a little sweaty and when the wind kicked up I was pretty cold. Went to Kohls and Target but didn't see any insulated wind pants. Seems dryfit joggers might be an investment I need to consider.

Hat, and mittens along with wool socks were pretty clutch. Nice and toasty. Also thanks to covid and wearing a mask, my face was nice and warm too... snot is a major issue though, lol.

well tried my first cold weather run yesterday... regular running shoes (only ate it twice, granted it was on black ice where I lost traction),regular sweat pants, and couple wicking shirts (sort sleeve, layered with long sleeve), and a summer wind/rain jacket. I was freezing starting out, and was really skeptical about staying warm, but my torso was surprisingly fine, my legs got a little sweaty and when the wind kicked up I was pretty cold. Went to Kohls and Target but didn't see any insulated wind pants. Seems dryfit joggers might be an investment I need to consider.

Hat, and mittens along with wool socks were pretty clutch. Nice and toasty. Also thanks to covid and wearing a mask, my face was nice and warm too... snot is a major issue though, lol.
Bought my wife these for icy runs. Short steps going around corners/making turns is the key.

Bought my wife these for icy runs. Short steps going around corners/making turns is the key.

Do the Kahtoolas cause any foot pain? How are they on dry pavement?

Do the Kahtoolas cause any foot pain? How are they on dry pavement?
Don't know yet. I'll let you know after she gives them a test run. She's been using Yak Traks that I got free from the Alaska Army National Guard a dozen years ago or so. Don't think she likes using them on dry pavement.

Doesn't look like I can edit my post above. I thought about it afterwards and I'd be more likely to use a fleece neck warmer as opposed to a balaclava. If it's balaclava cold, I'm not running in it.

I broke down and bought a treadmill with Ifit last year to offset the weather issues. Best decision ever and trying to upgrade to the machines with a 40 pct incline. It takes up a large part of our guest bedroom but saves on the icy wipeouts and having to layer up. Also can stick with my distance goals for every week without interruption too.

I broke down and bought a treadmill with Ifit last year to offset the weather issues. Best decision ever and trying to upgrade to the machines with a 40 pct incline. It takes up a large part of our guest bedroom but saves on the icy wipeouts and having to layer up. Also can stick with my distance goals for every week without interruption too.

I just hate running on treadmills and I actually am liking getting outdoors. Perhaps I’ll change my tune after busting my butt on the ice the first time.

Ran outside today and liked it! Ordered some nanospikes, but don’t have them yet. Wore a long sleeve Under Armour “Cold Gear” shirt with a light hoodie over it, just some regular sweat pants and regular socks, and had a ski mask on my head. And light gloves. Temp’s were mid 30s. Felt good.

I just hate running on treadmills and I actually am liking getting outdoors. Perhaps I’ll change my tune after busting my butt on the ice the first time.

Ran outside today and liked it! Ordered some nanospikes, but don’t have them yet. Wore a long sleeve Under Armour “Cold Gear” shirt with a light hoodie over it, just some regular sweat pants and regular socks, and had a ski mask on my head. And light gloves. Temp’s were mid 30s. Felt good.

Yeah I am usually a die hard any weather runner but it's been nice getting a break from the cold this year. Plus with Ifit you can run all over the world which helps offset the boring part of being on a treadmill.

I also live in the country so I'm out plowing, splitting wood or working outside any day off I get so there is never an issue of failing to get lots of fresh air lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom