running | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

running

I have worked in the athletic footwear sector for the last 8 years so if anyone wants any shoe recommendations or has any questions feel free to reach out.

that funny, cause I work in the popcorn preparation sector in target...

i kid...i kid..

Question for the runners here. Anyone ever suffer from Runner's Knee before? Pretty sure that's what I've got. Came on suddenly a couple weeks ago, but has kicked in pretty good now. Running seems to be the only thing that sets it off. Dull ache in the front of my right knee that starts up about 3 miles or so into a run, and stiffens up for a day or two following. Ice and advil seem to reduce the duration of the swelling and discomfort. I'm bummed because I was actually getting into a pretty good rhythm there with running.

Question for the runners here. Anyone ever suffer from Runner's Knee before? Pretty sure that's what I've got. Came on suddenly a couple weeks ago, but has kicked in pretty good now. Running seems to be the only thing that sets it off. Dull ache in the front of my right knee that starts up about 3 miles or so into a run, and stiffens up for a day or two following. Ice and advil seem to reduce the duration of the swelling and discomfort. I'm bummed because I was actually getting into a pretty good rhythm there with running.
I probably have at some point. But more recently (although not really too recent since have not been playing) jumper's knee for me. Volleyball and basketball common sports that lead to it. Both things I was doing frequently. Love when a plan comes together.

I probably have at some point. But more recently (although not really too recent since have not been playing) jumper's knee for me. Volleyball and basketball common sports that lead to it. Both things I was doing frequently. Love when a plan comes together.
Jumping doesn't seem to bother it at all. I've been so lucky over the years with my knees until now. No issues at all. My hips are a completely separate topic that I won't get into now. I can even still lift and do squats (NOT attempting big weights with that right now though).

Wonder if I did something walking or running and slipping in the snow and ice that started it. Looks like rest and ice will be my normal for a bit.

I was diagnosed with a type of Runner's Knee many years ago - Iliotibial Band Syndrome. Your description sounds like what I was experiencing. According to the Runner's Blueprint web site, Runners Knee occurs when cartilage in the kneecap becomes irritated. It can have many causes.

According to the running doctor who I saw, my knee pain was primarily caused by running too much on heavily crowned roads, exacerbated by poorly-cushioned running shoes and a minor leg length discrepancy. That was causing my Iliotibial Band to rub against the kneecap, causing pain mainly at the bottom of the kneecap. YMMV.
The doc said that most people have some sort of leg length discrepancy. In my case, that was mitigated by putting an extra heel pad in the shoe that went on the shorter leg. The doc told me to stop running for a short while, and get some real running shoes. He made makeshift orthotics/arch supports for me to use and gave me some stretches (like these) to do to stretch my Iliotibial Band prior to and right after running. That worked for me, and I was able to do some significant distances after that, including a marathon.

If you have good health insurance, it probably wouldn't hurt to see your local running doctor. Insurance might even cover some orthotics.

I was diagnosed with a type of Runner's Knee many years ago - Iliotibial Band Syndrome. Your description sounds like what I was experiencing. According to the Runner's Blueprint web site, Runners Knee occurs when cartilage in the kneecap becomes irritated. It can have many causes.

According to the running doctor who I saw, my knee pain was primarily caused by running too much on heavily crowned roads, exacerbated by poorly-cushioned running shoes and a minor leg length discrepancy. That was causing my Iliotibial Band to rub against the kneecap, causing pain mainly at the bottom of the kneecap. YMMV.
The doc said that most people have some sort of leg length discrepancy. In my case, that was mitigated by putting an extra heel pad in the shoe that went on the shorter leg. The doc told me to stop running for a short while, and get some real running shoes. He made makeshift orthotics/arch supports for me to use and gave me some stretches (like these) to do to stretch my Iliotibial Band prior to and right after running. That worked for me, and I was able to do some significant distances after that, including a marathon.

If you have good health insurance, it probably wouldn't hurt to see your local running doctor. Insurance might even cover some orthotics.
Awesome stuff. Thanks! I knew I could count on this site.

yep, same thing here 10 years ago. Went with custom orthotics in the running shoes and have saved me for past 10 years. I was running a ton of trails abs long distance abs I think the uneven terrain lead to the IB syndrome. I am 46 and have ton of miles on the knees along with 2 meniscus tears in same knee. Can’t pack on miles like I use too but the orthotics have saved me and extended me running for some time. They are an absolute game changer. That and some good stretching habit which before I was 40 were non existent.

So... I slipped on a recent run and hurt my knee. It was more like the "ahhh crap what happened to my knee". Not painful enough to gut it out for the remainder of the run though. So that happened a couple weeks ago.

Fast forward and all felt good recently, so yesterday a go for a quick 10 miler, and i had a mild occasional pain on the outside of my knee. Just enough to be annoying. Then on my cool down, my knee locked up, and today i have lateral knee pain. Went to an Ortho and only thing the doc saw was mild narrowing of lateral medial joint. He thought it might be an IT band issue. Anyone have experience with that? I'd rather not do PT in times of COVID...

Would really suck to stop running.

I had IT Band Syndrome, as noted above. I have also torn my meniscus, and it sounds to me like that might be your problem. As you age, your cartilage gets more brittle, and it can tear or pieces may flake off more readily than when you were younger, especially when you twist your knee like I did. If a flake of cartilage floats around and into certain parts of the joint, it can cause pain and occasional lock-ups. That's what my knee surgeon told me. I'm not a doctor and have no background in orthopedics or anything medical, so I hesitate to disagree with your doc. But he/she might be very medically conservative, thinking that a wait-and-see approach might be prudent; if the pain goes away, no surgery will be needed. But if your doc didn't do any MRIs or X-rays yet, and the pain persists, meniscus surgery may be in your future. The good news is that meniscus surgery can be relatively non-invasive, and doesn't necessarily require a long recovery period, as Bourama Sidibe's recent injury and recovery shows.

I got X rays and only thing present was mild narrowing of medial lateral joint. Everything else presented as normal. No pain when he did physical exam, but the pain really only presents itself when pressure is applied. He said it's probably IT band issues, but if pain is still present in a few weeks an MRI would be ordered. Maybe I'll get a second opinion.

I got X rays and only thing present was mild narrowing of medial lateral joint. Everything else presented as normal. No pain when he did physical exam, but the pain really only presents itself when pressure is applied. He said it's probably IT band issues, but if pain is still present in a few weeks an MRI would be ordered. Maybe I'll get a second opinion.
Any updates? Have you eased off of running? I'm taking January off and seeing if I can get back into it in February. Been cross country skiing, snowshoeing, and hiking in the woods without any real pain at all so far. Nearly slipped one time on an icy patch walking the dog and immediately felt it in my knee, but took a couple advils and no more pain since.

CuseFaninVT gone cold turkey since it happened. Super bummer cuz like you, I was getting into a groove. I've been walking, but anymore than an hour or so I start feeling it, not like super painful, but enough feedback to know I'd be sorry if I pushed things. Also if I am not on a flat surface it gets aggravated. I haven't gone to PT, am self stretching doing lunges/squats with no pain. I tried running in place (and got to about 300 reps before it got painful). Don't have any inflammation apparent either. I might have to insist on an MRI. Super bummed as my cardio is going to hell...

I had IT Band Syndrome, as noted above. I have also torn my meniscus, and it sounds to me like that might be your problem. As you age, your cartilage gets more brittle, and it can tear or pieces may flake off more readily than when you were younger, especially when you twist your knee like I did. If a flake of cartilage floats around and into certain parts of the joint, it can cause pain and occasional lock-ups. That's what my knee surgeon told me. I'm not a doctor and have no background in orthopedics or anything medical, so I hesitate to disagree with your doc. But he/she might be very medically conservative, thinking that a wait-and-see approach might be prudent; if the pain goes away, no surgery will be needed. But if your doc didn't do any MRIs or X-rays yet, and the pain persists, meniscus surgery may be in your future. The good news is that meniscus surgery can be relatively non-invasive, and doesn't necessarily require a long recovery period, as Bourama Sidibe's recent injury and recovery shows.

I had IT band issues (I think)about 8 years ago. Never went to a doctor but everything I read lead me to believe that’s what it was. I was having pain on the outside of my knee area, and it would start up after running maybe half a mile. At the time I’d been doing almost all of my running on a track, and it may have been creating some muscle imbalances.

I stopped running for awhile. I started doing a boot camp workout class and foam rolling, and after a few weeks it didn’t really bother me anymore. After about a month I was fine, and I’ve never had issues again. I’ve never run exclusively on flat surfaces like that since.

Got my second opinion this morning. Bad sprain, tendonitis in combination with IT Band syndrome and runner's knee. He said it was the holy trinity of running injuries. (lucky me). This guy was a lot more thorough with the diagnosis, had me look at charts, do exercises etc. Said good news/bad news... good news you don't need surgery... bad new you don't need surgery cause it would be a quick fix. Said I could run but it will be super painful as my IT band is so tight that it is causes my knee cap to pull to the left while I flex the joint. Cold weather is only exacerbating it (as the body naturally tightens with colder temps). Oh well, guess I should buy a treadmill for the winter next year, lol.

Last edited:
I used to run a lot. Not a super-runner but I've done six marathons. A couple years ago, tendonitis derailed my running and I still haven't gotten back to pre-injury.
Has anybody ever found that knee braces help? If so, any suggestions?

Got my second opinion this morning. Bad sprain, tendonitis in combination with IT Band syndrome and runner's knee. He said it was the holy trinity of running injuries. (lucky me). This guy was a lot more thorough with the diagnosis, had me look at charts, do exercises etc. Said good news/bad news... good news you don't need surgery... bad new you don't need surgery cause it would be a quick fix. Said I could run but it will be super painful as my IT band is so tight that it is causes my knee cap to pull to the left while I flex the joint. Cold weather is only exacerbating it (as the body naturally tightens with colder temps). Oh well, guess I should buy a treadmill for the winter next year, lol.
I'm dealing with this right now too, or at least some form of it. I can run with only a modest amount of discomfort, no problem...but when I flex my leg at rest my knee feels like it's on fire, especially down the side by the IT band. Not an enjoyable experience.

I used to run a lot. Not a super-runner but I've done six marathons. A couple years ago, tendonitis derailed my running and I still haven't gotten back to pre-injury.
Has anybody ever found that knee braces help? If so, any suggestions?
My new doc said knee braces help with structural rigidity, and tendonitis won't be helped by a knee brace.

For any trail runners who run through the winter, these are great.
Edit: I see CuseFaninVT already linked to these:
Edit #2: the product to which CuseFaninVT linked is different. I can’t speak for those.

Yaktrax suck. For years I’ve drilled screws into the bottoms of my trailrunners, which works well, but they can fall-out and I think they weaken the treads. The MICROspikes are extremely durable and aggressive enough for dangerous ice. They definitely cannot be used on roads though. I believe the same company, Kahtoola, offers a product for road running, but I cannot vouch for those.

Last edited:
Time to bump this thread and ask advice again. Did fairly well running all spring, summer and fall. Have tailed off a bit due to basketball opening back up this winter. Which led to my most recent injury. Was playing hoops and went to make a cut and felt a sharp pain just below the joint for my big toe on the right foot. Have continued feeling it most of the time. Can still play hoops, or run, or go for an icy hike with my spikes yesterday. Did some research this morning and looks like it could either be turf toe (doubt it) or Sesamoiditis. Anyone ever have this one as well?

Those stretches you all gave me last year have really helped keep the runners knee at bay. Thanks again.

Longtime runner here. There are a lot of ways to answer this question but a couple immediate observations:

- For cold weather, a lot of it comes down to personal preference, especially for leg coverings. I generally stick with a running windpant with running shorts underneath. Running windpants are good because usually they are cut thinner than standard exercise pants, warm-ups, etc. Some folks wear tights as their stand alone layer- not my preference. The key thing on a running windpant- you don't need a super high end brand (Nike, Brooks, etc) to get a functional piece of clothing. Especially if you're not running many miles. Don't be afraid to check a store like Target. If it gets really cold (>15 degrees) then I layer a tight underneath.

- Vests are good for temps ranging from say 25-40 degrees when combined with a short/long sleeve combo. Aim for something that wicks- no cotton. Same goes for the shirts. Again, you don't need to run out and grab outrageously expensive clothing- not to beat the financial drum over and over but some novice runners I know get spooked by price tags. Trust me, some of the most comfortable stuff I have was off the clearance rack.

- One area that works for cotton? Gloves and hats. Again, personal preference.

- One area you should spend a little more money? Socks. Especially if you're running through snow and sludge. A good pair of socks is your friend.

Hope this helps. If you have specific questions on types of gear or anything happy to help. Remember that there is no one answer- personal preference plays a big role.

Excellent advice. One thing to add, in my long-ago experience, is that having a little breathing room between layers keeps you warmer. Traps more air, which picks up heat from your body, and acts to insulate you. Tights don't leave that space to trap the air that is essential to keeping you warm.

Not a runner, but I spend a lot of time outdoors in the cold. My favorite material I’ve discovered is Merino wool. This isn’t that old school itchy stuff either. I cannot believe How warm, thin, COMFORTABLE and moisture wicking it is. It even has natural odor absorbing properties. Another of my favorite things about it is, when it gets hot out or you get hot, it feels almost cool. It’s really a magic material. You’ll pay a premium for it, but of all the things I buy this stuff is worth every penny. I fish at 5-10 degrees in wind constantly and I wear top, bottoms, and socks. Only technology or material for clothing in my lifetime that has come close to amazing me this much, has been Gortex.

Good info. I see a lot of stuff made of Merino wool, including shoes. I've got a couple overcoats made from it. Thanks.

I broke down and bought a treadmill with Ifit last year to offset the weather issues. Best decision ever and trying to upgrade to the machines with a 40 pct incline. It takes up a large part of our guest bedroom but saves on the icy wipeouts and having to layer up. Also can stick with my distance goals for every week without interruption too.

If you want to maximize your workout in the least amount of time, you should consider this. I have one that I bought recently. Back when I worked in NYC, I had a club that had these, and you could get an amazing, sweaty full-body workout in 20 minutes.

If you want to maximize your workout in the least amount of time, you should consider this. I have one that I bought recently. Back when I worked in NYC, I had a club that had these, and you could get an amazing, sweaty full-body workout in 20 minutes.

Good stuff- I want to get something like this too once I can get my detached garage built and convert our garage to a workout/storage room. I like the treadmill to stay with training long distances still hoping I can get back into marathon plus distances.

I should also add - it's zero impact. My knees (and my weight) can't take running anymore. But with this thing, you can make small motions to keep your cardio going, and you can take longer steps to stress your breathing and put you into oxygen debt, for a better workout. I start with big slow strides to stretch and warm-up, and then do shorter strides, maybe even just a few inches, to keep the cardio going. Your knees and ankles will thank you, especially if you're a fat guy like me who used to be an athlete long ago.

Good stuff- I want to get something like this too once I can get my detached garage built and convert our garage to a workout/storage room. I like the treadmill to stay with training long distances still hoping I can get back into marathon plus distances.

We also have a Bowflex treadmill. It has the pistons to go up and down, but they failed repeatedly, so we just locked the angle at about 3 percent incline. The nice thing about it is that it's a bit shorter than other treadmills, so it fits in a living room or family room better. Very small footprint.

And then my wife and daughter love the recumbent bike that we have in another bedroom. Between the treadmill and the bike, my wife does an hour almost every day. She sets a great example that my daughter and I have to catch on to. We've got free weights, yoga mats and all sorts of things.

And honestly, we have time. I work from home most of the time, and have a couple offices downtown. And I feel like I've kind of figured out my new reality, it has reached equilibrium, and I can start focus on getting healthy again instead of just working (or going out to restaurants ...) all the time.

Wish me luck.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom