running | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

running

... And then my wife and daughter love the recumbent bike that we have in another bedroom. Between the treadmill and the bike, my wife does an hour almost every day. ...
I second the suggestion for recumbent bikes. I have an older model of a cheapo Schwinn recumbent exercycle that I set up in my basement in front of a TV. The TV minimizes the boredom of long rides, and the recumbent seat is much easier on the butt than a more upright style of exercycle with a traditional bike seat. I speak from experience on the seat comfort issue. :(

71mT0aLhAzL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

We also have a Bowflex treadmill. It has the pistons to go up and down, but they failed repeatedly, so we just locked the angle at about 3 percent incline. The nice thing about it is that it's a bit shorter than other treadmills, so it fits in a living room or family room better. Very small footprint.

And then my wife and daughter love the recumbent bike that we have in another bedroom. Between the treadmill and the bike, my wife does an hour almost every day. She sets a great example that my daughter and I have to catch on to. We've got free weights, yoga mats and all sorts of things.

And honestly, we have time. I work from home most of the time, but have a couple offices downtown. And I feel like I've kind of figured out my new reality, it has reached equilibrium, and I can start focus on getting healthy again instead of just working (or going out to restaurants ...) all the time.

Wish me luck.

Do yall have a TV etc where you work out? Having a distraction to attend to really helps. On my current treadmill i also at times used a tablet set up with old SU games or just watch replays I missed or wanted to analyze and it really helps motivation to get to work. I often look at as I'm gonna go watch [ ...] and the workout is complementary.

Do yall have a TV etc where you work out? Having a distraction to attend to really helps. On my current treadmill i also at times used a tablet set up with old SU games or just watch replays I missed or wanted to analyze and it really helps motivation to get to work. I often look at as I'm gonna go watch [ ...] and the workout is complementary.

Distraction is a great thing. It does make the time go faster, although sometimes you just like to be in your head when you work out. Or at least I feel that way sometimes.

What I've found interesting lately is that if someone else is sitting in the room, and you're reading an article together on the internet, it goes even faster than watching a TV show, or listening to an album. (Having the other person is necessary to scroll down the article while you are working out ...)

Albums, actually, take the longest. Kind of ironic. I love music so much, but it doesn't pass the time as well as other distractions.

Distraction is a great thing. It does make the time go faster, although sometimes you just like to be in your head when you work out. Or at least I feel that way sometimes.

What I've found interesting lately is that if someone else is sitting in the room, and you're reading an article together on the internet, it goes even faster than watching a TV show, or listening to an album. (Having the other person is necessary to scroll down the article while you are working out ...)

Albums, actually, take the longest. Kind of ironic. I love music so much, but it doesn't pass the time as well as other distractions.

No doubt on music. These days I have to get a running partner when I'm doing outside trails or a good distraction inside. Only time i use music is like speedwork.

… What I've found interesting lately is that if someone else is sitting in the room, and you're reading an article together on the internet, it goes even faster than watching a TV show, or listening to an album. (Having the other person is necessary to scroll down the article while you are working out ...) …
Another approach to the reading-scrolling problem works with iPads and iPhones. If you put two fingers together and swipe down from the top edge of the tablet or phone, the device will read the all of the text on the web site or e-mail that is open. I haven’t done it while on the Exercycle, but it works great when driving.

No doubt on music. These days I have to get a running partner when I'm doing outside trails or a good distraction inside. Only time i use music is like speedwork.
I take the dog when I'm home and that helps me extend my distance although she doesn't always help my speed. I hate running on treadmills and can only do 3-4 miles max before I lose my mind. I run with the wife once in a while while home and she helps extend the runs since she likes to go 5-6 miles while I'm a 4-5 mile guy.

I take the dog when I'm home and that helps me extend my distance although she doesn't always help my speed. I hate running on treadmills and can only do 3-4 miles max before I lose my mind. I run with the wife once in a while while home and she helps extend the runs since she likes to go 5-6 miles while I'm a 4-5 mile guy.

I used to be that way on treadmills. A few too many close calls on being roadkill when the weather sucks ultimately is what converted me. That said I need a good scenery/trainer or TV distraction still.

I used to be that way on treadmills. A few too many close calls on being roadkill when the weather sucks ultimately is what converted me. That said I need a good scenery/trainer or TV distraction still.
Yeah, totally get it. That’s the beauty of living in a place that has miles and miles of paved pedestrian pathways that get plowed in the winter. I hate running on the actual roads, except the neighborhoods that surround me.

It would be very different if I lived out in the woods

Yeah, totally get it. That’s the beauty of living in a place that has miles and miles of paved pedestrian pathways that get plowed in the winter. I hate running on the actual roads, except the neighborhoods that surround me.

It would be very different if I lived out in the woods

I used to like using the HS track as well but a lot of the schools here will chase you off.

I used to like using the HS track as well but a lot of the schools here will chase you off.
Funny, because running in circles is almost as bad for me as the treadmill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom