Rutgers Billboard Midtown Tunnel... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Rutgers Billboard Midtown Tunnel...

I used to keep a list on my phone of daily NYC team support spottings, for about a year. This was when it was a hot subject on Frank the Tank. Sadly lost all the data. But I think Michigan was #1.

Surprising didn't see much PSU (pre-scandal). Or Notre Dame. A very large pool of schools, but nobody really stood out. Rutgers I saw about 3 times. And one of those was a car full of guys going to the Army game. SU I saw maybe 10 times.

Granted, numbers were probably skewed by how noticeable your school colors are.

I see someone in a Syracuse hat/jacket/shirt/jersey a few times every week

with the caption "Who says Syr is NY's Team"

as being reported by the RU ri*als board. Im not in and out of queens so I cant confirm.

Half the people driving through the midtown tunnel have no idea what Rutgers is or where it is.

The other half know that it is west of Manhattan and east of Manhattan Beach and that is about it.

And the 10 alums who would can't afford to pay for parking so they take the train and never see it.

When I walk around the city on a Saturday afternoon, I see a ton of fans wearing Michigan gear. I think there is a strong Michigan presence in NYC.

Same here. Honestly, any school/team with a strong "brand name" is going to have a lot of fans in NYC, regardless of geography or the type of school: Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State, USC, Florida, Texas, et al. That's just the way New Yorkers are. We care about big names & bigger reputations. If the Yankees played in Topeka, but still won 27 World Series, there would probably still be a ton of Yankee fans in NYC. I know people that went to the SU/USC game wearing Trojans jerseys and they had never even set foot in the state of California, let alone on the USC campus. People need to remember that millions of New Yorkers come from somewhere else, so they don't really have some sense of geographic loyalty to teams. They came to NYC because it's the biggest & the best, so not surprisingly, those are the kinds of teams they follow: strong brand names with history & national reputations.

2004 Rutgers 24, New Hampshire 35 ...ouch...spanked by the FCS school. Of course, Rutgers has got revenge in the next 10 years by by padding its schedule chock full of FCS teams.

Huh, football did not exist before 2006.

Just ask Rutgers fans.

Just ask Rutgers fans.
Pre-2006 football is the black sheep of the Rutgers family. "Shhhhhh. We don't talk about that."

Pre-2006 football is the black sheep of the Rutgers family. "Shhhhhh. We don't talk about that."

This is the defending 1869 co-national champ you are talking about...show some respect.

Just ask Rutgers fans.

By their logic, Yankee fans should never talk of Ruth, Mantle, DiMaggio, Berra, Stengel or any of these greats because its all ancient history and happened before the official beginning of the new era of sports: 2006, the year which demarcates the new and relevant from the old and irrelevant.

Take those statures and plaques down, Yankees.

That's just the way New Yorkers are. We care about big names & bigger reputations. If the Yankees played in Topeka, but still won 27 World Series, there would probably still be a ton of Yankee fans in NYC.
"Front-runners" - people who have no reason to like a team other than the fact they win. That's what you've just described. I see them everywhere in NYC. I'm not talking about real fans, mind you. I'm talking about people who wear Yankees gear but who can't name anyone on the team other than Jeter. Everyone in NY knows a lot of people like that.

It's not just NYC, btw.

I saw the billboard, it says

Rutgers Athletics*

* It's free to drive into NJ, but you have to pay to get out.

This is the defending 1869 co-national champ you are talking about...show some respect.
Yes, at 1-1. Somehow, it's just very fitting for Rutgers to be "co-national champ" with a .500 record. Not sure why, but that feels about right.

I've seen a Rutgers billboard in the city, but I can't remember if it was when I exited the Midtown tunnel. I will check when I drive through there next time.

And what a waste. Nobody from Queens/Brooklyn/LI are going to give a crap about Rutgers unless they are a diehard/alum. Nobody is trekking from the island over to NJ to watch Rutgers beat Howard or Norfolk St. I very rarely see anybody wearing Rutgers gear in the city. I see a lot of SU, ND, Michigan, UNC, Texas, Florida, Iowa (seriously), etc. Heck, I've seen more St John's lacrosse and soccer sweatshirts than anything Rutgers related.

funny-billboard-toilet-paper.jpg

The billboard for fans of Rutgers who give a crap!

"Front-runners" - people who have no reason to like a team other than the fact they win. That's what you've just described.

Not exactly. What I described is actually liking a team that won (past tense) to a significant enough degree over a long enough period of time to establish a long-standing and generally accepted national brand name. Whether they actually win currently is somewhat irrelevant. Notre Dame hasn't won anything in years, but they're still one of the biggest brand names in college sports, so have a gigantic number of fans in the area.

with the caption "Who says Syr is NY's Team"

as being reported by the RU ri*als board. Im not in and out of queens so I cant confirm.
It is actually far more impressive than I imagined.

Good for RU! Keep chopping little engine that could!

images

When I walk around the city on a Saturday afternoon, I see a ton of fans wearing Michigan gear. I think there is a strong Michigan presence in NYC.

or just a lot of Steiner Brothers fans.

Rutgers played the first college game in 1869. They beat Princeton and then lost to Princeton later that season. FCS scheduling even back then!

Really looking forward to 10/13 because after that I will never think about Rutgers ever again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom