Rutgers ruins another 4 star kid | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Rutgers ruins another 4 star kid

If you really think that there wasn't a lot of excitement over the potential of Mungwa and Ford (not so much for Addazio) then you weren't reading posts on this forum.

Like I wrote before, debating about what is the correct adjective to use is pointless.

I still believe my original point that, somehow, I don't think Rutgers recruiting is going to get hit as hard as what is being discussed here. They somehow get great players year after year even though their teams aren't very good.

Dude seriously mungwa was expected to contribute, we got him over Stanford. Dontez Ford was a nobody. We pumped him up bc he was a leadership type kid who was going to major in engineering. Nevertheless I've said a dozen times this fall we miss not having those two playing safey but this is getting way off point.

We're talking one starter and two other guys getting major playing time who quit buttgers mid-season, that is unprecedented, are you saying its not?

Last edited:
Dude seriously mungwa was expected to contribute, we got him over Stanford. Dontez Ford was a nobody. We pumped him up bc he was a leadership type kid who was going to major in engineering. Nevertheless I've said a dozen times this fall we miss not having those two playing safey but this is getting way off point.

We're talking one starter and two other guys getting major playing time who quit buttgers mid-season, that is it's unprecedented, are you saying its not?

Definitely unprecedented (as far as I know).
Still not sure about the impact but, when Rutgers' recruiting class craps the bed, I owe you vielen bieren.

We can debate what adjective is appropriate to use to describe each of those players and, you're absolutely right that Addazio didn't contribute due to injuries, but a lot of people thought he was going to be a really solid TE for Syracuse.View attachment 5381

Besides the weirdness of digging up a post of mine from two years ago, I was never putting Addazio up on a platform that he was supposed to be a huge player - my comment had more to do with the fact that he provided depth.

No way was addazio thought to be a huge player. The thought was good blocking TE, that's it. Provo/Wales type no way.

I actually find it hilarious that Mike Farrell has been pumping up Rutgers the past 3 weeks as a sleeping giant. His latest article has them has them not only competing, but beating out Michigan, Ohio St, and Penn St for NJ, and northeast top talent...that's of course if they have a good showing next year in the B10. I don't know I find that a bit of a stretch, especially with the current stuff going on

Opens up another spot for Hallmon in the secondary i guess.

http://www.dailytargum.com/sports/f...cle_1084f3b4-3611-11e3-bdf5-001a4bcf6878.html

this had me scratching my head at first thinking this was fred hill the former basketball coach at rutgirls

Thomas is fast compared to baseball players like Kivlehan, but Kivlehan’s power shocked even head baseball coach Fred Hill. Power is difficult to project and can develop at any time, which makes Thomas’ success even more unpredictable.

It all depends on why guys are leaving and reneging on their verbals, right? The why is really important.

If it's bad - the will just keep losing recruits. If it's not bad (just random?) - then yeah, they have more space.

I actually find it hilarious that Mike Farrell has been pumping up Rutgers the past 3 weeks as a sleeping giant. His latest article has them has them not only competing, but beating out Michigan, Ohio St, and Penn St for NJ, and northeast top talent...that's of course if they have a good showing next year in the B10. I don't know I find that a bit of a stretch, especially with the current stuff going on

Look at their schedule next year. Brutal. If they can survive it good for them.

The kid leaving to "pursue a career in baseball" could just as well have taken a page from this (a very Brady excuse):

Last edited:
Are you blind, you don't see a difference? 5 scholarship players during the season? One kid was starting, Page and Shuler were playing.

Shuler left because he was only playing on special teams and even that spot was at risk to a true freshman who already has a punt return and kickoff return for TD's. I believe Page has played one half of one game in his entire Rutgers career against Eastern Michigan. Ayers was already burried on the RB depth chart before the arrival of three very good freshman backs next year. Marquis Wright, see Ayers.

The only head scratcher was Thomas. Due to Toler being lost for the season and Glashen taking a couple of games off for personal reasons, Thomas found himself in the mix as a starter.

Shuler left because he was only playing on special teams and even that spot was at risk to a true freshman who already has a punt return and kickoff return for TD's. I believe Page has played one half of one game in his entire Rutgers career against Eastern Michigan. Ayers was already burried on the RB depth chart before the arrival of three very good freshman backs next year. Marquis Wright, see Ayers.

The only head scratcher was Thomas. Due to Toler being lost for the season and Glashen taking a couple of games off for personal reasons, Thomas found himself in the mix as a starter.

Good info. Now what's your take on why this is happening?

Good info. Now what's your take on why this is happening?

With the exception of Thomas, it's playing time. BCS football requires a level of comittment that most of us can't fathom, especially at schools which also require you to particpate in the academic side of things like Syracuse and Rutgers. For some, dropping down a level and getting playing time is preferred to playing for the scout team at the BCS level. In Shuler's case, he is going to test the depth chart at Northwestern after he couldn't break in at Rutgers. He has world class wheels, just needs to develop his hands. The year off will do him good. In Page's case he couldn't get on the field, same with Wright and Ayers.

Thomas, I have no idea. The kid has/had game.

With the exception of Thomas, it's playing time. BCS football requires a level of comittment that most of us can't fathom, especially at schools which also require you to particpate in the academic side of things like Syracuse and Rutgers. For some, dropping down a level and getting playing time is preferred to playing for the scout team at the BCS level. In Shuler's case, he is going to test the depth chart at Northwestern after he couldn't break in at Rutgers. He has world class wheels, just needs to develop his hands. The year off will do him good. In Page's case he couldn't get on the field, same with Wright and Ayers.

Good stuff AK,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1

Leaving at the end of the season for more playing time makes sense, leaving at midseason does not. Where will they get more playing time this season?

Ak is a joke. We have kids who don't play or are regulated to career special teams and they don't quit midseason. Every team can also say the same.

What a bunch of bs spin.

Aryes buried? He's a true frosh who's injured. I'm sure he's worried about kids in hs who might amount to nothing more than Savin bust Huggins. Buried? He's hurt.

Page what is he a soph? When not injured he plays. All reports said over the months that he's been good in practice. Why would be quit?

Shuler got major minutes and maybe he quit because he wants to start but he's not transferring down, he's going to a program that's better than Rutgers, he might be regulated to the same minutes there.

Again all these kids quitting mid season isn't normal. Spin it however you want.

The kid leaving to "pursue a career in baseball" could just as well have taken a page from this (a very Brady excuse):
Doug Simpson, the Big Man on Campus, wouldn't quit mid season.

Leaving at the end of the season for more playing time makes sense, leaving at midseason does not. Where will they get more playing time this season?

If a scholarship is waiting for you, why wait? Why be scout team fodder when you can
Aryes buried? He's a true frosh who's injured. I'm sure he's worried about kids in hs who might amount to nothing more than Savin bust Huggins. Buried? He's hurt.

Page what is he a soph? When not injured he plays. All reports said over the months that he's been good in practice. Why would be quit?

Shuler got major minutes and maybe he quit because he wants to start but he's not transferring down, he's going to a program that's better than Rutgers, he might be regulated to the same minutes there.

Again all these kids quitting mid season isn't normal. Spin it however you want.

Yes, Ayers was buried. He is not injured. That was last year. This year he was an early enrollee and after spring and going into the summer he was behind Huggins, James, Goodwin and Peoples. The ladder two are also Freshman.

Page is in his 3rd year and has played one half of one game in garbage time. Despite whatever reports you may have read, when he was healthy to begin the year he was behind Holmes, Kirksey, Stephenson, Hamilton and a true freshman. He was the 6th DT when healthy. That's not spin, that's reality based on playing time.

Shuler got so much run that he totaled 5 catches in his two years at Rutgers.

Ak is a joke. We have kids who don't play or are regulated to career special teams and they don't quit midseason. Every team can also say the same.

What a bunch of bs spin.

Rumor has it Flood loaded up the juggs machine and has been firing at players from close range while screaming obscenities ... seems to be the SOP at RU.

Definitely unprecedented (as far as I know).
Still not sure about the impact but, when Rutgers' recruiting class craps the bed, I owe you vielen bieren.

Did you pay up for this?