Rutgers Transfers | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Rutgers Transfers

You are changing the narrative. Cuse current status doesnt change our opinions on rutgers. We know we are bad this year and there are reasons why. Injuries, opt outs, poor development through the years etc... What if you took away rutgers best players on both sides of the ball?

How so? They were a laughing stock & not competitive so they hit the transfer portal hard bringing in 17 transfers? Us not so much? You don't think that has anything to do with where each team is at?

How so? They were a laughing stock & not competitive so they hit the transfer portal hard bringing in 17 transfers? Us not so much? You don't think that has anything to do with where each team is at?

They still stink.

Im not sure why you think our lack of enthusiasm for rutgers has anything to do with how we feel about Cuse this year. Do I wish we brought in more transfers? Yes. I stated that already and I know other fans feel the same but lets not act like greg is doing something unheard of. Its a pretty common approach to push out the bad players and bring in transfers during a rebuild.

Sure this could likely go into the uber thread but I was hoping to get more eyes on it.

Looking at 2 four 7 recruiting I saw some crazy transfer numbers.

For 2019 and 2020, Rutgers brought in 17 transfers.
  • 15 of the transfers came from P5 schools
  • 4 of the transfers were P5 QBs
  • Only 6 received immediate eligibility including only 2 of 11 from 2020. This means they have 9 eligible starting next year.

During that same timeframe Syracuse brought in 3 transfers only 1 of which came from a P5. As much disdain as I have for Schiano it would appear he diagnosed the weaknesses on the team and went hard in the portal to get those bodies into the program. I really think this is what Syracuse needs to do badly and not just grabbing FCS grads.
This is more of the state of the Rutgers’ program than the state of Syracuse. Rutgers have been getting other teams’ third and fourth string players who were being run off to make room on their rosters and free up scholarships.

Look at where Syracuse’s recent D-I transfers came from. Big contributors at Oklahoma and Florida, under-utilized contributors at Big Ten schools and a stud DE at the FCS level.

Im not sure why you think our lack of enthusiasm for rutgers has anything to do with how we feel about Cuse this year. Do I wish we brought in more transfers? Yes. I stated that already and I know other fans feel the same but lets not act like greg is doing something unheard of. Its a pretty common approach to push out the bad players and bring in transfers during a rebuild.
This was really the point of my post. It is common practice that even Rutgers is doing it and bringing in almost exclusively P5 talent. With all the depth issues due to disqualifications, injuries, etc. why have we not been going after transfers. We added one this year to help with the line (our biggest weakness) and he isn't eligible yet. We obviously need more than 1 if we had to stick a full back at guard. Depending on their class they are a short term fix but we need bodies and bringing in freshmen that needs 2+ years in the program before they are able to compete isn't fixing the depth.

What got me looking at the Rutgers recruits was because I checked their depth chart and didn't see Sitkowski on it. Which surprised me given he was a well regarded recruit. He clearly wasn't getting it done so they went out and got FOUR quarterback transfers to compete.

I said they are more competitive. This was expected from Greg. I knew he was going to grab a bunch of disgruntled Jersey kids that were going to want to come home and get on the field more. They returned a veteran defensive group so I am not surprised they are more competive.

I am surprised that their O is functional. They were us last year and this year they found a passing game out of nowhere. It is up there with their best passing Os of all time (which isn't saying much).

I am surprised that their O is functional. They were us last year and this year they found a passing game out of nowhere. It is up there with their best passing Os of all time (which isn't saying much).
The OC is smart enough to not put them in bad situations. The line is not good but is decent in pass pro. They throw a lot of quick game. Its mostly Rpo bubbles and slants ( safe throws). He throws quick fades to the Melton kid. That's pretty much their pass game. I give them credit for getting the most out of what they got.

This was really the point of my post. It is common practice that even Rutgers is doing it and bringing in almost exclusively P5 talent. With all the depth issues due to disqualifications, injuries, etc. why have we not been going after transfers. We added one this year to help with the line (our biggest weakness) and he isn't eligible yet. We obviously need more than 1 if we had to stick a full back at guard. Depending on their class they are a short term fix but we need bodies and bringing in freshmen that needs 2+ years in the program before they are able to compete isn't fixing the depth.

What got me looking at the Rutgers recruits was because I checked their depth chart and didn't see Sitkowski on it. Which surprised me given he was a well regarded recruit. He clearly wasn't getting it done so they went out and got FOUR quarterback transfers to compete.
rutgers are in a different position we are in. We needed a few transfers for certian postions ( OT, WR, DT) but rutgers is in a rebuild. They got rid of several players that allowed them to brings in a bunch of transfers. We are not in positon to do that. What we failed in is development of the players we recruited.

Last edited:
rutgers are in a different position we are in. We needed a few transfers for certian postions ( OT, WR, DT) but rutgers is in a rebuild. They got rid of several players that allowed them to brings in a bunch of transfer. We are not in positon to do that. What we fail in is development of the players we recruited.

With the disciplinary concerns, injuries, and early departures I think we may be in the midst of a rebuild. If nothing else, we should be. Babers reset the defense and it appears we have a lot of positive stuff going on with that side of the ball. The offense needs to be reset and rebuilt.

Also, some injuries limit your potential. A knee or shoulder injury can be hard to overcome at the FBS level. Limited mobility, inability to lift as much, etc. I think the majority of our OL have suffered long term injuries, IIRC.

So you think we are in better shape in year 5 of Dino after losing 30-0 to a 2-6 L'ville team with our starting QB throwing 5/12 for 40 yards? We had 45 passing yards for the entire game
The 45 passing yards is a new low for SU in an ACC game, previous mark 66 in 2014. The 6 completions also set a new record low. Previous mark was 8 in an ACC game.

With the disciplinary concerns, injuries, and early departures I think we may be in the midst of a rebuild. If nothing else, we should be. Babers reset the defense and it appears we have a lot of positive stuff going on with that side of the ball. The offense needs to be reset and rebuilt.

Also, some injuries limit your potential. A knee or shoulder injury can be hard to overcome at the FBS level. Limited mobility, inability to lift as much, etc. I think the majority of our OL have suffered long term injuries, IIRC.
I agree. We are frustrated with the current state of the team. No one predicted we would be this bad. 5-7 season made us all skeptical but there wasnt eye popping evidence of failure to develop and produce quality depth unitl this year. With the things you mention, we should now be more agressive in the transfer market. I agree with the offense needing a tune up.

I could never revel in another team being poor, when my team is soo woefully pathetic. I don't know how some of you do it?
I am very critcial of my teams. (Im also a big Pats also) Why can't I be criitical of my teams and other teams also? I watch football relentlessly and have general discussions and chalk talk all the time. Why stop talking about other teams because Cuse is having a bad season? Thats no different from me mentioning how great UCF and Wash st was doing in 2018.

Last edited:
I agree. We are frustrated with the current state of the team. No one predicted we would be this bad. 5-7 season made us all skeptical but there wasnt eye popping evidence of failure to develop and produce quality depth unitl this year. With the things you mention, we should now be more agressive in the transfer market. I agree with the offense needing a tune up.
A team in the situation and inherent disadvantages that Syracuse is in should goto a different model for recruiting and building a program. Recruit regional guys from NY and NE who would have the understanding they are at SU for 5 years for an education and most likely will be depth players , tho they could get starting positions if they developed enough. Then open up the starting spots for 1-2 year transfers who are stuck behind big talent at the factory schools with some others from G5 and FCS. These players should all be guys who have some legitimate shot at the league if they are given a chance to show their abilities. This is available right now with the new transfer policy.

Michigan dominated the game offensively once they switched QBs.

Rutgers made a lot of dumb decisions in game on offense in the second half.

Schiano has made them a non laughing stock though. Which is a huge improvement for them.
RU was up 17-0 until Harbaugh got his head out of his arse and went with a BCS level QB. After that, Michigan dominated Rutgers and things were normal. At least as normal as things can be with Harbaugh trying to coach.

Ash was an exceptionally incompetent coach. Anyone would be an upgrade over him. That said, Schiano has them playing better.

He is fortunate to be coaching in the worst P5 football league and has benefited greatly by playing such a weak schedule. Bottom line, Rutgers is going to lose to Purdue, Penn State and Maryland (none of them good teams) and they are going to finish 1-7. Not an amazing turnaround but I am glad long suffering Rutgers fans are enjoying this landmark 1-7 season.

A team in the situation and inherent disadvantages that Syracuse is in should goto a different model for recruiting and building a program. Recruit regional guys from NY and NE who would have the understanding they are at SU for 5 years for an education and most likely will be depth players , tho they could get starting positions if they developed enough. Then open up the starting spots for 1-2 year transfers who are stuck behind big talent at the factory schools with some others from G5 and FCS. These players should all be guys who have some legitimate shot at the league if they are given a chance to show their abilities. This is available right now with the new transfer policy.
hmmm. I like those thoughts. I would add that we still have to tap into FL and DMV too.

hmmm. I like those thoughts. I would add that we still have to tap into FL and DMV too.
I'm sure there are a lot Fl and DMV guys trapped on depth charts who would transfer to get immediate playing time in the ACC. It needs to be made explicit that this is the model that the program will be using going forward. College football is going to a semipro level, might as well embrace it and jump ahead of the competition.

I'm sure there are a lot Fl and DMV guys trapped on depth charts who would transfer to get immediate playing time in the ACC. It needs to be made explicit that this is the model that the program will be using going forward. College football is going to a semipro level, might as well embrace it and jump ahead of the competition.
No Im saying you still need to recruit players from those states and develop them too.

moral victories lol. Transfers are short term band aids and these games are still loses. What happens when the transfers are gone.
if the transfers pay off and rutgers starts winning a few their recruiting wlii get better. schiano can recruit as can his staff. its new world out there phat, check with boeheim, he knows something about transfers

No Im saying you still need to recruit players from those states and develop them too.
Sure, if they're the kind of guys that understand their role and are fine with that and getting a masters degree from Syracuse. Which is why I said regional guys who would have lower expectations. If you could have a core of 5th year seniors who would be competing with NFL prospects, you would have a strong team. I also think Babers would be an excellent coach in this format because the players would be more mature people who are known quantities and would be self motivated. He would just create a positive environment and have assistant coaches who can teach.

if the transfers pay off and rutgers starts winning a few their recruiting wlii get better. schiano can recruit as can his staff. its new world out there phat, check with boeheim, he knows something about transfers
Geg will recruit NJ well no matter what. Will he get a few more top 10 NJ kids if they start winning a bit? yes. Will it matter in the whole scheme of things? No. Greg over coaches his teams. He is a control freak. Because of that, he will never win a division or conference title. If we ever have another pandemic (hope not) and penn st Mich and Mich st is this bad again, maybe he will win the division.

Last edited:
Sure, if they're the kind of guys that understand their role and are fine with that and getting a masters degree from Syracuse. Which is why I said regional guys who would have lower expectations. If you could have a core of 5th year seniors who would be competing with NFL prospects, you would have a strong team. I also think Babers would be an excellent coach in this format because the players would be more mature people who are known quantities and would be self motivated. He would just create a positive environment and have assistant coaches who can teach.
There is no guarantees in any way you do it. Thats why it has to be a mix. Part of the formula has to be relying on relationships built and finding gems that are over looked in those talent rich states. Sean Tucker is a recent and prime example of this.

RU was up 17-0 until Harbaugh got his head out of his arse and went with a BCS level QB. After that, Michigan dominated Rutgers and things were normal. At least as normal as things can be with Harbaugh trying to coach.

Ash was an exceptionally incompetent coach. Anyone would be an upgrade over him. That said, Schiano has them playing better.

He is fortunate to be coaching in the worst P5 football league and has benefited greatly by playing such a weak schedule. Bottom line, Rutgers is going to lose to Purdue, Penn State and Maryland (none of them good teams) and they are going to finish 1-7. Not an amazing turnaround but I am glad long suffering Rutgers fans are enjoying this landmark 1-7 season.
Michigan offensively dominated Rutgers.
Rutgers offense wasn’t dominated.
Michigan won which is good but they have major problems the rest of this season.

Rutgers is competitive enough to beat one more team.

There is no guarantees in any way you do it. Thats why it has to be a mix. Part of the formula has to be relying on relationships built and finding gems that are over looked in those talent rich states. Sean Tucker is a recent and prime example of this.
I think when we start seeing the kind of talent in the transfer portal, it's going to change a lot of coaches strategy's. Tucker is great, no doubt. Like to see him in the wildcat, especially since we don't have a QB. They've changed the rules, take what their giving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom