Class of 2017 - Ryan Archer (NY:Jamesville-Dewitt) Attack to Hobart | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 Ryan Archer (NY:Jamesville-Dewitt) Attack to Hobart

As far as I know the UA team is picked from among the nation's regional UA teams. I believe one has to make a regional team, they compete for a few days and then the top players are picked off these teams.

He might be ranking his kids from these teams.

http://www.underarmourlacrosse.com/

http://www.underarmourlacrosse.com/underclass-tournament/

https://events.r2it.com/lacrosse/underarmour17/Tryouts

2016 Under Armour All-America Lacrosse | Roster

(Upstate tryouts are next weekend in Geneva)

The 2017 Under Armour AA's were picked months ago:

2017 Under Armour All-America Lacrosse Games

The regional tryouts are for underclassmen graduating from 2018-2021.

FWIW, Archer was NOT listed as a Top 100 recruit either by Xanders or by IL on their last rankings in the Fall.

Was Lanchbury on an UA region team last summer? The UAAA game has been going longer than the underclass games. How did they pick games before the underclass games? Just look at the list of UAAA players this year and Xanders top 100.

Was Lanchbury on an UA region team last summer? The UAAA game has been going longer than the underclass games. How did they pick games before the underclass games? Just look at the list of UAAA players this year and Xanders top 100.

No. He was not listed on the New England Underclass team last year.

Maybe he didn't even try out.

I don't even remember Wisnauskas playing for Baltimore's UA underclass team. I know he played in the UAAA game.

BTW...

It's $200 to register for the tryout this year.

And you're responsible for all travel expenses.

BTW...

It's $200 to register for the tryout this year.

And you're responsible for all travel expenses.

And the walk up fee is like $210 or $220. Would love to know how many kids try out. I know at least one kid who might be good enough to make the team but doesn't tryout for the fee and travel.

Did Nick Mellen play in the under class games? I doubt it and he played in the UAAA game.

I really don't think it has anything to do with the playing on the regional teams.

Did Nick Mellen play in the under class games? I doubt it and he played in the UAAA game.

I really don't think it has anything to do with the playing on the regional teams.
First, Mellen played on Upstate Underclass team in 2013 and 2014. Second, it absolutely has $omething to do with the regional teams. Pretty sure the website says that kids that tryout for regional teams have inside track at being picked for UA AA game. That said, if you are above and beyond AA, you will get picked. If it is a close call, they will take the kid who's parents have been forking over $200 for you to tryout for a rigged team. 75% of the spots are taken before the tryouts take place. If you are on twitter, check out @laxvigilante for more info on the dollars and process. Corrigan Sports Enterprise is raking in the cash on the UA lacrosse gig.

Last edited:
And the walk up fee is like $210 or $220. Would love to know how many kids try out. I know at least one kid who might be good enough to make the team but doesn't tryout for the fee and travel.
I would say a safe estimate is 200 kids per region, probably a low number. So let's do some math. $200 per kid x 200 kids x 16 teams = $640k (minus facility rental, hospitality for coaches and pinnies).

I would say a safe estimate is 200 kids per region, probably a low number. So let's do some math. $200 per kid x 200 kids x 16 teams = $640k (minus facility rental, hospitality for coaches and pinnies).

Crazy money being made. Had I known then what I know now :)

I envision it like an old Empire tryout with a million kids. But costs must keep the numbers lower.

I wonder how many younger 8th and 9th grade goalies show up for the underclass team. I would guess based on the percentages goalie might be the best chance to make a team, unless the two they keep are already penciled in. Can’t imagine more than 10/15 goalies show up though. Get your stick on a couple of shots and who knows.

Many of these kids start travel in 4th or 5th grade and the cost of these programs is considerable... in some cases exorbitant. Tack on the cost of the showcases and all the hotels, meals, etc that goes along with every weekend away and it adds up. I know several families that have told their kids enough is enough. We're not paying any more. And a few of them can afford it but have had enough because it's also a huge time investment for the entire family. Younger siblings often have to be dragged along, and some of them resent it.

It's absolutely insane and I do believe that at least 50% or more are selected before they even get there. Talked to a friend of mine who went to see the Southern Region tryouts this past weekend. There were over 350 Kids at the tryouts . He said that he talked to several parents who intimated that their kid was already on the team they just had to show up. Partly because the most of the evaluators were high school coaches from the south (Obviously pushing their kids).

Crazy money being made. Had I known then what I know now :)

I envision it like an old Empire tryout with a million kids. But costs must keep the numbers lower.

I wonder how many younger 8th and 9th grade goalies show up for the underclass team. I would guess based on the percentages goalie might be the best chance to make a team, unless the two they keep are already penciled in. Can’t imagine more than 10/15 goalies show up though. Get your stick on a couple of shots and who knows.
My recollection from last years Upstate underclass tryout was that there was somewhere in the neighborhood of 175-200 for both teams.
The Upstate team is pulling from a pretty big region (Albany, Northcountry, Buffalo, Roch, Syracuse) and even some Hudson Valley. The evaluators are from the local HS's. Section II had 1 evaluator that I knew of. That group likely was at a disadvantage but there were a decent number of Sect II players that made it. Heavily dominated by Sweetlax kids and probably rightly so.

BTW, the event was very poorly run. Great competition and play but organization was bad. No balls on the end lines, no supervision at all on the sidelines, it was a bit of a *&%^ show.

Many of these kids start travel in 4th or 5th grade and the cost of these programs is considerable... in some cases exorbitant. Tack on the cost of the showcases and all the hotels, meals, etc that goes along with every weekend away and it adds up. I know several families that have told their kids enough is enough. We're not paying any more. And a few of them can afford it but have had enough because it's also a huge time investment for the entire family. Younger siblings often have to be dragged along, and some of them resent it.

I hear ya, because we do it, and I have another kid joining the madness next year. I personally love it because I eat breath and sleep lacrosse (wish they had club teams when I was a kid) but I don't force my kid(s) to do it. Playing club (or anything) is up to them.

This year my 13 year old chose to leave his local club team and all his friends to go play for a better program, but where he doesn't know anybody. I thought that was a pretty big decision of him so I told him if that's what you want to do and you make the team I’ll fund it and drive the hour one way to practice. The day I have to start dragging my kids to practice though it ends, or if he tells me he doesn’t want to do it, that’s fine to.

Last edited:
Amen. So expensive. Just playing for 1 club was ok but as they get older and the showcases start and prospect days and second club teams it can get carried away real quick. Need to be selective and disciplined enough to say no.

At least in the Capital District the club play is fairly reasonable - you head to Boston, LI or elsewhere in NE and it could be double or even triple the cost.

Meet the 2017 All-CNY boys lacrosse team

archerjpg-fa63c74a232d1918.jpg

Co-Player of the Year: Ryan Archer
Jamesville-DeWitt

Senior

Attack

2017 stats:
71 goals, 76 assists for 147 points.

What's next: Hobart to play lacrosse.

Best moment of the season: Beating Victor

Who inspires you? Post-game snacks for sure.

What's your most treasured piece of sports equipment? My shoe laces.

Describe your pregame routine: Eating Pringles

Who's your favorite person to follow on Instagram? My biggest fan, Terrence Echols

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom