Class of 2021 - S James Williams (FL) Decommitted from Miami | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 S James Williams (FL) Decommitted from Miami

What's wrong with what he said? It's Twitter. The way I type online isn't how I speak at work. At least this kid wants to go to school and knows that he may never make it to the NFL. That in itself is commendable. He doesn't want to be put in Communication and Rhetorical Studies like the other athletes at SU.
Just pointing out things that I find funny. It wasn't a personal attack, or a statement in any way. I find irony humorous, I get that some don't.

The depressing thing about that announcement to me is not that he chose Miami. I don't lose sleep over where 18-year-old kids want to attend college. Their decisions are their own. Sure, I would like some talented players to play for SU, but in the long run, he's just another kid. The part that stands out to me is where he says, "...to get to where I have to be and feed my family." I know that every kid wants to play professionally. I get it. I'm not that naive. But even signing on for a scholarship to play football at Miami is a LONG way from fulfilling that goal. The odds are still very much against him ever feeding his family by playing football. Now if he said I want to become an engineer so I can better myself and my family's future, I would cheer for this kid no matter where he opted to attend. (Except PSU, of course.)

It's depressing that a scholarship is so far removed from any association with a real future. Instead, it is linked to a false future, one that for most kids will lead to disappointment, and perhaps resentment.

Good luck to this kid. I hope he eventually comes to realize that his gifts and talents are are a path to a fulfilling future, and it doesn't have to include football. (Stepping off of the soapbox now.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom