Class of 2019 - S Taj Dodson (GA) Committed to Kentucky | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 S Taj Dodson (GA) Committed to Kentucky

Between injuries, red shirts, and playing in against a bunch of teams that run up tempo offense I see now reason not to keep brining in a ton of talent in the secondary.
We where running thin at the end of this year and had Butler in the secondary vs BC
Like WRs you will see a ton of CB/S on this roster going forward

I I don’t see how you keep Trill, Cisco and Melifonwu off the field. There’s 3/4 of our secondary for the next 2, 3 years. I know Babers rotates them a lot but still.
All it take is a couple of injuries and you are reaching for who is next on the pecking order.

Between injuries, red shirts, and playing in against a bunch of teams that run up tempo offense I see now reason not to keep brining in a ton of talent in the secondary.
We where running thin at the end of this year and had Butler in the secondary vs BC
Like WRs you will see a ton of CB/S on this roster going forward

WR. RB, CB, S, LB, even TE, a lot of these roles can be interchanged.

We've seen guys transferred from RB to LB who had fantastic careers and then even played on Sundays, same for RB to S.

Get the athletes and a lot of them.

WR. RB, CB, S, LB, even TE, a lot of these roles can be interchanged.

We've seen guys transferred from RB to LB who had fantastic careers and then even played on Sundays, same for RB to S.

Get the athletes and a lot of them.
Tebucky Jones comes to mind.

Remember also that any defense now has essentially 5 DBs. Everyone runs a heavy dose of nickel, you have to with spread concepts becoming so prevalent. I also think we're seeing them go after more man defender prototypes in this class. In theory, this will add diversity to the scheme, more blitz and pressure out of those packages if they can pull it off.

Agreed, but I think there is no doubt that there isn't room for all these kids in the secondary.

off the top of my head we have for 2019:
Adrian Cole
Allen Stritz
Chris Fredrick
Scoop Bradshaw
Devon Clarke
Eric Coley
Andre Cisco
Neil Nunn
Iffy Melifonwu
Garrett Williams
Trill Williams
Dorian Hewett
DODSON?????
We should add Greenwood to this list as well

Agreed, but I think there is no doubt that there isn't room for all these kids in the secondary.

off the top of my head we have for 2019:
Adrian Cole
Allen Stritz
Chris Fredrick
Scoop Bradshaw
Devon Clarke
Eric Coley
Andre Cisco
Neil Nunn
Iffy Melifonwu
Garrett Williams
Trill Williams
Dorian Hewett
DODSON?????

EDIT: I forgot Aman Greenwood and Cam Jonas.

and Carl Jones - who'll be a senior this year.

I think the baseline numbers are 12/13 secondary players. 3 Strong safeties, 3 Free Safeties, 6 cornerbacks. Plus you have to account for a kid or 2 who can play nickle. It was Cordy, then Stritz then who, Trill while Bradshaw went to CB? IDK exactly. Point is kids get shuffled around and we survived b/c we had the depth.

Assuming there's no attrition the secondary numbers would be bloated next season but the following season would be back down to 12/13 with graduations. This also assumes that Dodson signs and that he and/or Nunn are slotted for defense.

You always want to recruit better players. The cream rises to the top and the upgrade in talent creates better competition and raises the bar for everyone. This is called improving the underbelly of the team which is Dino's goal.

I see Nunn as a nickle/cb/saf, I see Dodson as a safety. Cole/Williams/Greenwood are corners. Coley I'm not sure, maybe gets moved to OLB. Clarke I worry about his injury. Jonas I wonder if the knee is healed. Jones might bail. Stritz just had a head injury. Bradshaw, Fredrick, Foster graduate next year. Hewitt who knows, maybe surprises. I don't worry about these things anymore just bring in the best players you possibly can,. You can't not recruit a player like Dodson because the position numbers say we can't.

Last edited:
Way I see it, high level programs bring in high potential recruits at every position on the field in every class, and then let the players sort it out.

I'm not worried about being too talented.

Yep. No such thing as too talented. It's a good problem that offering immediate playing time is not the only carrot for recruits anymore. And Dino is a talented enough coach/recruiter to navigate the transition.

Way I see it, high level programs bring in high potential recruits at every position on the field in every class, and then let the players sort it out.

I'm not worried about being too talented.

It's awesome that within a few years, we've gone from adding maybe one talent to positions of need but with depth problems still behind them. To talking about whether talented players will see the field because we have too many good players.

Has the Dodson visit been confirmed anywhere else ? I can't find anything.

It's crazy that we are in a position now to even question too much depth/talent at any position.

I think the only position I'd say we have a dearth of depth right now is DT/DL -- and even then, we should be OK for next year before it drops off a cliff.

Pretty incredible turnaround with the roster.

It's crazy that we are in a position now to even question too much depth/talent at any position.

I think the only position I'd say we have a dearth of depth right now is DT/DL -- and even then, we should be OK for next year before it drops off a cliff.

Pretty incredible turnaround with the roster.
Yeah, there's no DL depth issue in 2019.

2020 though...

2020 though...
I think the issue is we need to get at least one more DT this cycle so they can redshirt and grow into the position in 2020. We have Rondi. But maybe the coaches are already looking at someone on the current roster that they plan to grow into a DT

2020 though...
I think the issue is we need to get at least one more DT this cycle so they can redshirt and grow into the position in 2020. We have Rondi. But maybe the coaches are already looking at someone on the current roster that they plan to grow into a DT
I think we get 1 more of each this cycle and 2 of each again in 2020, we'll be back on schedule. Crucial though that one of each this cycle can develop quickly enough to be a solid contributor in 2020. Isaac definitely fits that bill, imo. DT's are a bit tougher to call but I think if Okechukwu ends up moving inside we'll be ok.

I'll be shocked if we don't get a grad transfer or Juco DT/DE sometime in the next few months.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom