Sagarin predictions for Maui | Syracusefan.com

Sagarin predictions for Maui

690West

Moneyline Master
Here are the possible opening lines for our games in Maui next week. The following spreads are for a neutral court. 3 in a row with these tight numbers is going to be a great accomplishment.

Syracuse -4 over Minnesota

Syracuse -5.5 over California

Syracuse -8 over Arkansas

Gonzaga -1/pickem over Syracuse

http://mauiinvitational.com/documents/2013/11/7/2013.MIT.Bracket.pdf

Last edited:
I think the St Francis game was not as bad as people are thinking. St Francis played a very good game. Any team from NYC is going to have some players. I think the St Francis win is not so much the Orange playing bad but St Francis playing an awesome game. It was a good test for the Orange. Twice now (the Carleton win) this team has been in a tight game and has pulled through. I think the Orange closing out the St Francis game with a 10-0 run and CJ and Grant going 4 for 4 from the line was a very good sign.

There's no question the defense needs work. There's no question the offense needs to play better and with more consistency.

Another thing I like is Silent G and Cooney both seem to be getting more confidence handling the ball each game. I think by March the backcourt issue will not be an issue.

That said, I think the Maui tournament is going to be tough. But I think the Orange have a very good chance of winning. The teams they are facing are bigger and slower. The Orange should match up well. Hopefully, CJ will get back on track. Hopefully, TC will another hot night of shooting. I think Ennis can be a very good offensive threat. I like this team. But there is no question they are a work in progress.

Here are the possible opening lines for our games in Maui next week. The following spreads are for a neutral court. 3 in a row with these tight numbers is going to be a great accomplishment.

Am I alone in never understanding all the love for Gonzaga every year? Got to no.1 at the end of the year based on beating a bunch of Big 12 schools early in the year, and then taking 3 months off. They are never tough, never play any D...I was surprised they even came back to make it a game vs Wichita State.

Orange kool aid brigade here! I think we win this tourney fairly easy.

Is it me or do we never lose to teams located in the Pacific time zone? I think that game at UCLA with Baron Davis in 1999 is the last time it happened.

Off the top of my head, we've beaten Cal more than two or three times, SDSU twice, Stanford in MSG, couple of Long Beach State's, Washington a few times, Arizona State in the NCAA, Gonzaga in the tourney, most of them by very comfortable margins...so yeah, if it comes down to us against Cal and Gonzaga, I like our chances. Baylor is the spiciest team in this field for me.

Orange kool aid brigade here! I think we win this tourney fairly easy.

You just can't bring yourself to constructively crticize your beloved Orange. Amazing. I think Minnesota is the toughest game here. Opening game. Fragile egos maybe. A coach who knows (or should) know how to beat us. A very good guard who could go off. Just glad they don't have that beast Mbakwe anymore.

You just can't bring yourself to constructively crticize your beloved Orange. Amazing. .
I can I just choose not to do it on here. We have plenty of constructive criticism on here. So, what good things have you seen with the team so far? Anyway here are my negatives. Cooney needs be more aggressive shooting and going to the hole. Ennis has been too passive he needs to start creating. Grant needs to start making his foul shots , drawing fouls is only part of the play he needs to finish it. Coleman needs more time at center. We need active hands in the zone, force turnovers, and get fast break points.

Last edited:
I think the St Francis game was not as bad as people are thinking. St Francis played a very good game. Any team from NYC is going to have some players.

just using your "any team from NYC is going to have some players" argument:

Unless NYC all of a sudden has talent like the 80's, I dont really see the correlation...

Fordham 2013/2014: 89-74
St Johns 2012/2013: 77-58
Fordham 2011/2012: 78-53
Manhattan 2011/2012: 92-56
@st johns 2011/2012: 95-70
@st johns 2010/2011: 76-59
St johns BET 2010/2011: 79-73
Columbia 2009/2010: 85-60
St Francis NY 2009/2010: 75-51
St Johns 2009/2010: 85-66
@St Johns 2008/2009 87-58

just using your "any team from NYC is going to have some players" argument:

Unless NYC all of a sudden has talent like the 80's, I dont really see the correlation...

Fordham 2013/2014: 89-74
St Johns 2012/2013: 77-58
Fordham 2011/2012: 78-53
Manhattan 2011/2012: 92-56
@st johns 2011/2012: 95-70
@st johns 2010/2011: 76-59
St johns BET 2010/2011: 79-73
Columbia 2009/2010: 85-60
St Francis NY 2009/2010: 75-51
St Johns 2009/2010: 85-66
@St Johns 2008/2009 87-58

Are you saying New York City does not have a renown basketball culture? Regardless, my comment was St Francis played a very good game against the Orange on Monday night. That team came to play. They played hard. And their coach did a good job preparing them to bust our 2-3 zone. You are only ever as good as your competition. I thought St Francis played very well in my humble opinion.

NBA players from NYC: http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/birthplaces.cgi?country=US&state=NY

cusetown, the UK 40-0 shirt for your avatar is priceless!!
After their second loss I will be making these t shirts.
image.jpg

I can I just choose not to do it on here. We have plenty of constructive criticism on here. So, what good things have you seen with the team so far? Anyway here are my negatives. Cooney needs be more aggressive shooting and going to the hole. Ennis has been too passive he needs to start creating. Grant needs to start making his foul shots if he wants to draw fouls. Coleman needs more time at center. We need active hands in the zone, force turnovers, and get fast break points.

Good calls. A couple of positives is that I do think they play hard. Boeheim also said they are a hard working group. Some of their offensive deficiencies might be viewed as not coming 'ready to play' but I disagree with this. Some flawed parts obviously and nothing we didn't know.

Another positive is that, with the exception of Fair, there isn't much ball stopping. Something which plagues SU teams occasionally. Guys are trying to move the ball. Now, what they are trying to run I have no idea often, but, they are being unselfish. Ennis does need to assert himself more.

Good calls. A couple of positives is that I do think they play hard. Boeheim also said they are a hard working group. Some of their offensive deficiencies might be viewed as not coming 'ready to play' but I disagree with this. Some flawed parts obviously and nothing we didn't know.

Another positive is that, with the exception of Fair, there isn't much ball stopping. Something which plagues SU teams occasionally. Guys are trying to move the ball. Now, what they are trying to run I have no idea often, but, they are being unselfish. Ennis does need to assert himself more.
Good post!

They need a shirt from last year's tough, tough bow out in the NIT.

It will go a little something like this:

0-1 *
* That team was stacked!
Couldn't even win against our pal Bob Morris.