Same old, same old | Syracusefan.com

Same old, same old

SBU72

All Conference
An observation. Every year fans complain about how bad JB's offense is, how he over plays his best players, doesn't develop young players, he over berates certain players. And all of it seems true. However, as pointed out, SU has made more final 4's than any other team in the past 5 years (mostly NCAA punishment years). Scoring is down but the team has averaged a 23.6 - 11.6 record. The zone troubles many but seems to manage a good shooting percentages on defense despite claims of letting guys go off against SU. Players have not been running from the program except to go pro. And his coaching staff is made up of former players so he isn't hated. Likewise he has many, many supporters in other former players, even ones he seem to be tough on. Recruiting is down, but finally with restrictions gone, the future looks bright. So it is same old, same old. Same old JB and same old complaints.

And lastly, fans were fooled by the 11-2 start. The team though short handed was making due with hustle. Some recognized that MD and Chewy were not strong enough to compete on the boards in the ACC. And that has come about. If they get stronger on the boards, some of the problems will be mitigated. And the big 3 need to try and look to pass almost as much as they look to score.

However, as pointed out, SU has made more final 4's than any other team in the past 5 years (mostly NCAA punishment years).

Who was the more powerful basketball program between 2009-2013? Syracuse or Butler?

Syracuse: 3 seed, 1 seed, 3 seed, 1 seed, 4 seed and 1 FF in that stretch.
Butler: 9 seed, 5 seed, 8 seed, NIT, 6 seed and 2 FF in that stretch.

Is the answer Butler because they made more Final Four runs than us?

Who was the more powerful basketball program between 2009-2013? Syracuse or Butler?

This just makes me sad. AO and Fab :(

I was just pointing out what someone else posted. So to continue that, some here say the objective of any season is the final four. Nothing else matters. So in that sense in the span you quoted, Butler had the better program. Do I agree, not really, but that is what could be made of that. A statistian friend of mine might say, all statistics lie, it just depends how you use them.

How many points and rebounds will the most F4s in last 5 years get us tonight??

That’s my only concern...
you sound like someone who lives for today. That is what JB is accused of when he plays the top guys 40 minutes and the end of the bench 0 minutes. He wants his best in there as much as possible today to give them the best chance to win, the heck with the game this weekend, or next week or next month.

An observation. Every year fans complain about how bad JB's offense is, how he over plays his best players, doesn't develop young players, he over berates certain players. And all of it seems true. However, as pointed out, SU has made more final 4's than any other team in the past 5 years (mostly NCAA punishment years). Scoring is down but the team has averaged a 23.6 - 11.6 record. The zone troubles many but seems to manage a good shooting percentages on defense despite claims of letting guys go off against SU. Players have not been running from the program except to go pro. And his coaching staff is made up of former players so he isn't hated. Likewise he has many, many supporters in other former players, even ones he seem to be tough on. Recruiting is down, but finally with restrictions gone, the future looks bright. So it is same old, same old. Same old JB and same old complaints.

And lastly, fans were fooled by the 11-2 start. The team though short handed was making due with hustle. Some recognized that MD and Chewy were not strong enough to compete on the boards in the ACC. And that has come about. If they get stronger on the boards, some of the problems will be mitigated. And the big 3 need to try and look to pass almost as much as they look to score.

I don't think fans who saw an 11-2 start and raised expectations were fooled. I personally didn't think we suddenly became a final four contender. Fans just wanted to see a better product on the court then last year and for the most part we have gotten it.
Also, to say Wake and ND (without it's top scorers) are appreciably better then Maryland (+6 rebounding), UCONN (+11 rebounding), Gtown (+7 rebounding) and even Kansas (+6 rebounding) is wrong. We played a better game on the road against Kansas then ND and in no way does ND have a better current team. All four of those teams have power 5 rebounding and we didn't have the type of problems we had vs ND. I don't buy into the MD, Chewy being pushed around in conference play because over the first 14 games it didn't happen. I don't see how they were dominating the boards and the rebound margin and within two games we all of a sudden are to skinny. We have to wait and see if this is a trend or just a two game slump.

I don't think fans who saw an 11-2 start and raised expectations were fooled. I personally didn't think we suddenly became a final four contender. Fans just wanted to see a better product on the court then last year and for the most part we have gotten it.
Also, to say Wake and ND (without it's top scorers) are appreciably better then Maryland (+6 rebounding), UCONN (+11 rebounding), Gtown (+7 rebounding) and even Kansas (+6 rebounding) is wrong. We played a better game on the road against Kansas then ND and in no way does ND have a better current team. All four of those teams have power 5 rebounding and we didn't have the type of problems we had vs ND. I don't buy into the MD, Chewy being pushed around in conference play because over the first 14 games it didn't happen. I don't see how they were dominating the boards and the rebound margin and within two games we all of a sudden are to skinny. We have to wait and see if this is a trend or just a two game slump.
Disagree. There was a lot of bluster from the denialist contingent. They seemed to think the #87 preseason ranking was unjustified, and that we were better than we were, which proved jb's naysayers wrong. Meanwhile, people who were trying to keep things in perspective couldn't say anything without them moaning about Debbie Downers.

Disagree. There was a lot of bluster from the denialist contingent. They seemed to think the #87 preseason ranking was unjustified, and that we were better than we were, which proved jb's naysayers wrong. Meanwhile, people who were trying to keep things in perspective couldn't say anything without them moaning about Debbie Downers.[/

Up until a week ago we were playing very well. We had a solid non conference with a few nice wins. We shut down a buzz Williams team who in the past has had Syracuse number. We lost a close game to wake and then decided to play two of the absolute worst games I have seen in a while since. Like I said anybody expecting a top 5 seed was in denial but to think we are as bad as the last two games overall is going overboard. Battle is slumping a bit and we cannot have that. He needs to figure it out somehow and we will hopefully put up
More respectable efforts.

My point was more a wait and see on the rebounding. Which we out rebounded them by ten. Not that it mattered.

How funny. My first thought after reading the post was about Butler's run as well. UConn had a nice little stretch there too over 5 years I would imagine...

My answer is SU, but I'm pretty sure Butler fans were very satisfied with that 5 - year run .

I was just pointing out what someone else posted. So to continue that, some here say the objective of any season is the final four. Nothing else matters. So in that sense in the span you quoted, Butler had the better program. Do I agree, not really, but that is what could be made of that. A statistian friend of mine might say, all statistics lie, it just depends how you use them.

B.s. you play for titles, not final fours. Who cares, it's a one game difference between the elite 8 and a 2 game difference than a sweet sixteen and you get nothing to show for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom