Saturday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Saturday Articles

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
2011football-003finaljpg-4befc6af2ac65d3e.jpg

Rhode Island football team hopes to avoid early 'knockout punch' against Syracuse

Former Arundel Football Teammates Face Off Saturday

SU And Rhode Island Square Off Saturday

Rhode Island offense all runs through its senior quarterback Steve Probst

Syracuse University won't breathe easy about FCS opponent Rhode Island

Syracuse stays on its toes

Syracuse football links: Where will the Orange end up when college realignment is finished?

Doug Marrone won't give out injury information if other Big East coaches don't

The Axepress Lane: SU-Rhode Island Mini-Preview and NFL Picks

Rhode Island Site

Live SU football updates and fan Q&A: Rhode Island at Syracuse

Loads of experience, but some questions about this year's Rams

Question of the Day: Rams Begin Season in Syracuse

Future Orangemen

Alvin-Cornelius.jpg

An early leap and Tottenville's Alvin Cornelius keeps soaring

The city's most dangerous combination pairs Barnes and wideout Alvin Cornelius , who had 29 receptions for 662 yards and 15 TDs last season.

Cornelius, the state's No. 8 prospect, according to Super Prep magazine, made the biggest noise of the offseason when he verbally committed to Syracuse in June. The Orange were the first program to offer a scholarship to Cornelius, who was impressed with the coaching staff, especially wide receivers coach Rob Moore, who played with the Jets and Cardinals in the NFL.

"It's a great choice. Their staff (at Syracuse) showed him to most sincere and deepest interest," Munson said.
Read more

Syracuse-bound wide receiver Alvin Cornelius said in the week of practice leading up to the game, he was on top of Edwards, making sure the youngster was ready for his chance. Edwards didn’t say much – his play did the talking.

“I’d be on my blocks and I’d turn around and he was throwing people off of him,” the senior recalled with a smile. “I was like, ‘Yes, he came ready to play.’”
Read more

Talk about deceiving statistics Tottenville's Alvin Cornelius had one catch for 11 yards and no receiving touchdowns.
Read bout his all-around game from last night

image.JPG

Photo credit: George A. Faella
Hills West QB Devante McFarlane #2 breaks through the Smithtown West line for a gain of 8 yards. (Sept. 9, 2011)

Half Hollow Hills West needed to ride a Colt to victory, and quarterback Devante McFarlane was only too happy to oblige.

The Syracuse-bound McFarlane proved to be a Wild West show all by himself, rushing 17 times for 277 and four touchdowns and throwing for another, in a 34-14 Hills West win at Smithtown West.
Newsday

Recruiting

Are we recruiting Ricketts anymore?

He only has 3 MM offers so far

Former Players

100810gregory_t593.jpg

Steve Gregory recalls his thoughts on 9/11

Donnie McPherson continues role as analyst with SNY, here is there Big East lineup

David Legree passed for 268 yards, completing 27 passes in 39 attempts with two TDs

Legree connected with Reginald Hicks for an 18-yard TD, giving the Pirates a 7-0 lead
Hampton would cap off a five-play, 92-yard drive as Legree found Hicks streaking down the sideline for a 29-yard TD, giving the Pirates a 17-7 lead with 3:32 to go in the second.
WCTV

God really does work in mysterious ways. After all, how else can you explain David Tyree's catch in Super Bowl XLII against the Patriots? If that wasn't divine intervention, I don't know what is.
A letter to my father, 10 years later

Burress knocks former coach, QB

Anthony Perkins Highlight Reel

Syracuse Mention

4977620.jpg

It will be Chase Rettig's first chance to win a game in a tough environment as the Syracuse faithful didn't really come out in full force for the BC game last season.
BCI

Opening Statement:
We, of course, lost a really tough one up at Syracuse this past week. I thought that our kids played really, really hard. I think Syracuse is a good football team, and we just made too many mistakes to win on the road in the opener.

You could tell that there was a little bit of a letdown in our guys when Tanner came out. And I think it probably encouraged the Syracuse team a little bit because he was having a pretty good day against them.

I think Syracuse is a pretty good football team, and opening on the road is always a problem. That's where all your mistakes are exaggerated, when you're on the road in the opener against a good football team.

You guys have a pretty tough out-of-conference schedule. I'm hoping you could tell me a little bit about how you weigh different things like getting the team ready for the conference and looking maybe for some easier wins versus what you're doing.

Well, I think what's been our way to play non-conference games is we basically go home and home with other teams. Some of the teams that we've gone home and home with are Ole Miss and Nebraska and Stanford, Notre Dame and Syracuse and Connecticut, really good teams that we've gone home and home with, and I think we're not in the position where we can actually go out and buy wins, and I think some programs are a little bit more positioned to do that.

What were the things that you liked most about what he did against Syracuse?

Well, he's much more settled. He has a better understanding of the offense certainly, and he showed that against Syracuse. I think he made some quality throws. He missed some easy throws. I think -- it was funny, he had two or three throws that I thought were pretty much threading the needle, really difficult throws that he got in there, and then he had two or three throws that were the kind of throws that you and I could have completed that he missed.

I think he still at times hurries his throws a little bit and doesn't set his feet. But the improvement from last year to this year has been pretty good, and I would anticipate as the season goes on he'll continue that improvement
NCS

Some Wake look backs at SU

Around The Big East

89TyA.AuSt.79.jpg

Hilton's 201 receiving yards lift FIU by Louisville

Connecticut Huskies travel to Nashville to Take On Vanderbilt ...

Big East mailblog

Cincy takes on the Vols in an OOC game

Pittsburgh vs. Maine Preview

Little Lindsey Lamar comes up big for USF Bulls

Big East football previews: Cincinnati faces test from SEC's Tennessee

Around The Nation

i

Arizona St. stuns No. 21 Missouri in overtime

Busy BCS Week

Up to 24 Fresno St. players tied to welfare fraud

Uniforms: Notre Dame and Michigan to Sport Old School Gear

Weekend Watch List: Huge stakes for Irish, Dawgs

Stall in Realignment Process Gives Big 12 Hope

3 suspended Ohio St. players won't play Toledo

Pac-12 commissioner says he's anti-expansion

Sources: ACC debating raising buyout to leave

QB Harris apologizes for role in Miami scandal

Baylor gives back tickets to game at Texas A&M

South Carolina WR Byrd suspended four games

Ex-Iowa S Greenwood in hospital after collapse

Games to Watch on Saturday

For players at West Point, post-9/11 instantly became way of life

High School At The Dome

Mass State Champs rally to down MacPherson & mates

Video of game

Other High School

Skaneateles gets another impressive road win at Bishop Ludden

Blogs

4977626.jpg

Conference Expansion: Syracuse Headed To 47 Different Conferences ...

Syracuse Conference Shuffle: Big East Scenarios for the Orange

Syracuse vs. Rhode Island: Orange Host FCS Opponent In Week 2

Syracuse vs. Rhode Island: Where Are We Watching?

Delone Carter, Indianapolis Colts

Now that the news has come down that Peyton Manning won't be on the field for quite some time, Delone Carter has gone from a trendy sleeper running back to a near sure thing.

The Colts will use Joseph Addai, Donald Brown and Delone Carter this season, but Carter will be the one getting the goal-line carries. Carter may not pile up yardage for you, but he will be a guy that brings the cheap touchdown or two from time to time.

Carter's ceiling is probably similar to BenJarvus Green-Ellis' in New England. Green-Ellis began as little more than a red-zone running back, and now he is the primary running back on that team.
BR

Syracuse Orange (1-0) vs. Rhode Island Rams (0-0) GameThread

Syracuse vs. Rhode Island: Scouting The Rams

McFarlane had some game..

He's one of the skilled position players I'm really excited about. Just seems like he has a high motor, great athletic ability and can play anywhere. Curious to see where he ends up, receiver, rb, on D? Hope he comes in at RB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom