Saturday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Saturday Articles

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
web38.jpg

Syracuse University football to play host to Stony Brook this season

What Worked? The best part of the class ... tight ends. The Orange lost a good one in Nick Provo, but the tight end position doesn’t figure to be under construction for very long. Syracuse picked up three quality players at the position, which could eventually force one of them to a different spot on the field. Ron Thompson and Ashton Broyld are four-star gems, while three-star Joshua Parris of Georgia is hardly a slouch. Although raw and a veteran of just two seasons of organized football, Thompson has the size and athleticism to become a matchup nightmare before too long
R-2012

An Orange Tint to the Super Bowl

Ashton Broyld's page

Recruiting

Marcus McGill "chose" the Bulls over Syracuse

Video

Dyshawn Davis Syracuse Football HighLights 2011

Former Players & Staff

10520234-large.jpg

Shirley Szombathy, wife of long-time SU assistant and administrator Joe Szombathy, has died

Bob Yates is passionate Pat's fan

Sport is certainly in Gronkowski’s genes – his grandfather, Ignatius, was a member of the U.S. Olympic cycling team in Paris, and dad Gordon played for the Syracuse University football team for three years as an offensive guard.
RO

This SU teammate/roommate prayed every night with Coughlin

Off the field Tom Coughlin the nicest person you'd want to know

Tom Coughlin

Set the Syracuse University single-season receiving record in 1967 while playing in the backfield with Pro Football Hall of Famers Larry Csonka and Floyd Little.
YS

"When the Giants were 7-7 (in December), everyone was counting out Tom Coughlin," says Hall of Fame running back Larry Csonka, who shared the Syracuse backfield in the 1960s with the halfback from Waterloo, N.Y. "The reason they are here is one man: Tom Coughlin."

Csonka should know. He vividly recalls meeting Coughlin in 1964 when they were struggling freshmen during a brutal, blistering-hot training camp under legendary tough-guy coach Ben Schwartzwalder.

"I am sitting in a meeting, just trying to exist, and Tom is next to me," Csonka says. "In the middle of the heat, blisters, shaved heads, jock itch and just being lower than dirt, Tom is energetically taking notes. Every day, every meeting. I thought, 'What is he doing, and why is he doing it?' Back then, football was all repetition. But Tom was more thorough than that - to the nth degree."

Csonka favourably compares Coughlin to Don Shula, his Hall of Fame coach with the Miami Dolphins, explaining, "There's a light-hearted side to them, but until they know you have sacrificed and are worthy of being part of the family, they are screaming meanies and possessed disciplinarians."
USAT

As the Super Bowl approaches, recalling Coughlin's 'second family'

Poliquin: Floyd Little wants Tom Coughlin to win the Super Bowl . . . and then stroll off to Canton

Tony F a top performer for the Cowboys

Donovan McNabb and the inglorious end of the QB draft class of 1999

Freeney & McNabb take part in Super Bowl Gospel Celebration

ACC News

Dear Pitt and Syracuse, We are officially ready for you

Pitt still hoping for 2012 ACC debut

UNC-NCSU rivalry reduced

ACC unveils scheduling plans for 14 teams

Pitt will play in ACC's Coastal

Tudor: ACC doesn't care about fans (again)

Virginia AD Craig Littlepage approves of ACC's new football ...

Syracuse to Join Boston College in ACC Atlantic

ACC Adopts The Scheduling Format The SEC Is Scared Of

Around The Big East

Big East coaches offer glimpse into the mind of new Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano

Around The Nation

That didn't take long
Urban Meyers recruiting tactics anger fellow Big 10 coaches

Games of the week

Blogs

Syracuse, Pitt Floating In Breeze, Unable To Vote In ACC Or Big East

Chandler Jones: First-Round Pick?

Ryan Nassib's PIF (positive impacr factor)

Prop bets over under at 1.5 on Tyree replay

Syracuse Football Coach 'Glad' Greg Schiano Is Gone

Did The ACC Get New Divisions, Schedule Format Right? And The Big ...

Another Syracuse connection to the Super Bowl

Matt Patricia, a former RPI offensive lineman and graduate assistant, now coaches the New England Patriots safeties.

Matt Patricia, a former RPI offensive lineman and graduate assistant, now coaches the New England Patriots safeties. During our bye week I headed to RPI for (retired) coach Joe King. They had a little get-together for him. So I check out RPI all the time. I love RPI, and obviously I'm from Syracuse and miss New York a lot.
FS

2012 NFL Mock Draft, Todd McShay 2.0: Chandler Jones Of Syracuse ...

Syracuse In ACC: Orange Join Atlantic Division, Pitt To Coastal

2012 NFL Mock Draft: Patriots Select Chandler Jones And Brandon ...

University News

2012 Forty Under 40: Lee M. Rosenthal

SU grad readies for Super Bowl

Miscellaneous

Some people I know and last year's Super Bowl seating debacle outcome

Please read article about PIF. It is definitely open for interpretation, but notice that Nassib finished 5th while defense finished 8th in the conference. Ryan Nassib is not the greatest QB but is more than serviceable. Hackett and Nassib take a beating while the defense has gotten a pass. Defense has to take a huge step forward to have a winning season.

Shirley thanks for all the program books and for everything you and Joe did for a young Orange(men) fan. I'll always be grateful.