Saturday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Saturday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am temporarily filling in for OE as he recovers from surgery. Get well soon Dan.

News

14677341-mmmain.jpg

Austin Wilson (#5)

Austin Wilson, Strong Armed and Gunning for Backup QB Slot (PS; Mink)

Like almost every other close observer of the Syracuse football team, Austin Wilson has paid attention to the style of quarterback being brought in to run George McDonald's offense.

From A.J. Long in January to Florida's Alin Edouard later this summer, Syracuse has targeted players who can add a dimension with their legs. These are actions that back up the words of head coach Scott Shafer, who has said he prefers a quarterback who can move the chains with his feet if necessary.

Wilson carries the title of strongest arm on the team, and he offered a rebuttal earlier this week to anyone who doubts he stylistically fits into what Syracuse envisions on offense.

"I've had the conversation with (the coaches) about it," Wilson said. "They don't need someone who is going to go out there and be Mike Vick and run the ball like crazy. And I'm not the slowest quarterback and I'm not the fastest quarterback. I can pick up first downs if we need to. I can run the zone read. I feel like I'm just as capable as somebody else is. Somebody might be faster and shifty, but I can still get the job done."...

Former Players

2014 Fantasy Football Keeper Profile: Ryan Nassib (rantsports.com; Berreman)

After missing part of the 2013 regular season finale with what was deemed a high ankle sprain, New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning underwent surgery on his left ankle Thursday and will be unable to run for six weeks. That means he won’t miss any substantial offseason work, and there’s no doubt he’ll be ready to go for the start of the season, but Manning’s streak of 151 consecutive regular season starts now seems vulnerable.

Manning’s durability has kept quarterback from being an urgent need for the Giants, but he is now 33 years old with two years left on his contract and the team may need to start putting together a plan for the future. They selected Ryan Nassib in the fourth round of the 2013 draft, and he should have a clear chance to become Manning’s backup heading into next season even if a veteran free agent is added.

Ryan-Nassib-Jim-OConnor-USAT.jpg

kbull1.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Keith Bulluck: Pantheon of Titans (sbnation; xanpham)

A Troubled Genesis

Like most boys in New York Metropolitan area in the 1980's and 1990's, young Keith Bulluck grew up idolizing New York Giants Linebacker, Lawrence Taylor. But unlike most boys, there was more on the mind of Bulluck. While most children were concerned with the latest movie or video game, or what was for dinner that night, Keith was simply scrounging to survive. Abandoned at birth by his father, Bulluck lived a rocky existence for years in New York's dark underbelly, with little or no direction from parents, and nothing close to stability. Often forced out of the house, Keith bounced around the homes of relatives and friends, mostly sleeping on the floor for lack of beds.

"It wasn't a situation conducive for a young child...But it was just my life, so I didn't know any better."

- Keith Bulluck

At twelve years old, Bulluck's stepfather died, leaving his mother without any way to pay the bills. Keith and his mother were evicted from their NY apartment with no place to go.

Bulluck was taken to the home of Linda Welch, a white woman from the UK, who agreed to look after him for a few weeks while his mother got back on her feet. Those "few weeks" turned into more than six years.

With that, the life of young Keith Bulluck as he knew it changed forever. He had been plucked from the streets of New York and placed directly into an affluent, predominantly white, community under the watchful eye of a woman who was so unlike anything he had ever encountered before.

"I'm sure it affected him more than I realized or apprenticed...He was always so popular and social. I'm sure when he was lying quietly at night, he wondered what was going on with his life and how it was all going to play out."

- Linda Welch

But young Keith knew he had been given a real chance at something special, a chance to make something of his life that transcended where he came from or what he had experienced. He recalls being taken to Mets games, and to amusement parks, and slowly the artificial shield Bulluck had put up to harbor his emotions was broken down.

"You have to play the cards you're dealt. I tried to keep my head level and just persevere. I went to live with Linda Welch, a single woman from England. My foster mother and I came from such different cultures. But she gave me the love, stability, and support I needed to excel in school."

- Keith Bulluck

Bulluck did just that. He grew up with Welch in Clarkestown, New York, where he attended the local school, shining both in the classroom and on the football field. That added focus on both academics and athletics led to something more than the boy himself could ever imagine.

II.

Football

Bulluck's stellar play at Clarkestown earned him quick recognition. He was a three sport athlete who stood out, nowhere more than the gridiron, where he earned a full scholarship to Syracuse University. There he was switched from safety to linebacker, where his talents exploded.

One of the leaders on a squad that featured Donovan McNabb and Dwight Freeney, Bulluck was given the Bill Horr award for Most Valuable Player his senior season. Among other things, this set him up for the impending NFL draft, a world away from where he expected to be only a few short years before. Suddenly he was about to live the life of Lawrence Taylor, with the chance to show his abilities on the national stage.

The Titans selected Keith Bulluck with the 30th overall pick in the first round of the 2000 NFL Draft. Bulluck was inserted into a team with local legends like Steve McNair, Eddie George, Frank Wycheck, and Jevon Kearse. Bulluck's hard-hitting style fit right in. By 2002 Bulluck was starting full-time at outside linebacker, and there he remained for the better part of a decade.​

Other

1973-UFO-–-The-Schenectady-Flying-Saucer-370x342.jpg

1973 UFO; The Schenectady Flying Saucer (syracusenewtimes.com; Costa)

Who knew a simple shopping trip would involve a flying saucer?

It was the later months of 1973, the Christmas shopping season is in full swing. A very pregnant Carol and her sister Louise decided to drive from Amsterdam to Schenectady to do some Christmas shopping. So with Carol’s toddler son in tow, the three of them were off to go holiday shopping at the Mohawk Mall.

As it was late in the year and it was already dark before the two women reached Schenectady. As they approached the city they were astounded to see a large object flying at low altitude coming from the West. The large object seemed to slow, then suddenly dropped at high speed and hovered over the General Electric plant. As it did all the lights in the factory dimmed and went out. Both women noted that this power outage seemed to only be at the General Electric facility, for they could see other city lights on in the distance.

Both women recall that the traffic on the main highway in front of the General Electric building had come to a halt. Carol remembers that people were getting out of their cars and seemed to be awestruck at what they were watching. Both Carol and Louise estimate that they were perhaps 100 yards from the GE facility.

Louise described what they saw: it was a saucer shaped object, perhaps two or three football fields in diameter. As you got a little closer, you could see blue, pink and yellow lights that seem to be alternating in rotation around the bottom of the craft. The top of the object was dull grey. Then both women tell us that almost everyone noticed that the flying saucer was totally silent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom