Saturday's Scrimmage | Syracusefan.com

Saturday's Scrimmage

orangeintheacc

Walk On
For those who couldn't make the scrimmage let me give my two cents of what I saw at the dome on Saturday.

OFFENSE
Last year the offense almost never got in the huddle, they'd hurry to the line call a play and go. Under McDonald, the offense still hurries to the line, but they usually do a fake snap to see how the defense reacts, then they reset and look to the sideline for the play call. If that style continues they will not be running plays as fast as last year.
QB's
Hunt was with the first team most of the day and at times he looked pretty good. He is a good runner and throws a nice tight spiral. His decision making could use some work as he threw into coverage several times and was late on throws often. Loeb and Kinder looked pretty good too, but to be honest none of the three got me too excited.
RB's
Clearly the strongest unit on the team. Smith runs downhill with power and looks extremely strong, especially in the legs. McFarlane and Morris are legit backs that have quick bursts...give them a hole and they will get through it. Add in PTG and AAM and the depth is awesome.
REC's
A very athletic looking group, tall and fast. Funderburke made a great catch for a TD and Kobena had a TD on a nice catch and run. Wales and Parris also stood out. The downside was I didn't see a lot of good catches or receivers getting separation from the defenders .
OL
Starters were left to right Hickey, Robinson, Macky, Trudo and Foy. Knapp is the back up for both Hickey and Foy, Palmer the top guard backup and Emerich backs up Macky. The run blocking looked good while the pass blocking was a little shaky at times, although the defense was blitzing most of the time. One thing that stood out is that the OL will be very physical this year! There was a lot of pushing and shoving between the OL and the D.

DEFENSE
DL
The Dline had a good day with Bromley, Robinson and Welsh standing out the most. This group isn't as deep as you would think especially at the DE position. Losing MPB and Walls really hurt. Raymon is going to have to step up - I didn't notice him at the scrimmage.
LB's
Starting group looks strong and fast with Spruill in the middle making a lot of plays. The starters I believe will be MS, lynch and Davis with The Juco kids providing very solid depth. Bullough really turned these guys loose as they were flying all over the field.
DB's
To me, this is by far the strongest unit in the defense. Anderson, Lyn, Desir, Reddish, Wilkes, Morgan (probably forgetting someone) all have plenty of experience and ability. Their tight coverage made it tough on the QB's and receivers all day. This group is fast and tough and I think will come up with a lot of big plays this fall.

Overall I thought the offense looked pretty good at this point of the year. The running game looked solid while the passing game showed some signs it could also be good. Too many turnovers however.

The defense is very fast and does a good job of getting a lot of guys to the ball. Wayne Williams will help with the tackles and the DE's will be fine if Raymon helps out. The way Bullough likes to attack lots of Dline depth is needed.

For those who couldn't make the scrimmage let me give my two cents of what I saw at the dome on Saturday.

OFFENSE
Last year the offense almost never got in the huddle, they'd hurry to the line call a play and go. Under McDonald, the offense still hurries to the line, but they usually do a fake snap to see how the defense reacts, then they reset and look to the sideline for the play call. If that style continues they will not be running plays as fast as last year.
QB's
Hunt was with the first team most of the day and at times he looked pretty good. He is a good runner and throws a nice tight spiral. His decision making could use some work as he threw into coverage several times and was late on throws often. Loeb and Kinder looked pretty good too, but to be honest none of the three got me too excited.
RB's
Clearly the strongest unit on the team. Smith runs downhill with power and looks extremely strong, especially in the legs. McFarlane and Morris are legit backs that have quick bursts...give them a hole and they will get through it. Add in PTG and AAM and the depth is awesome.
REC's
A very athletic looking group, tall and fast. Funderburke made a great catch for a TD and Kobena had a TD on a nice catch and run. Wales and Parris also stood out. The downside was I didn't see a lot of good catches or receivers getting separation from the defenders .
OL
Starters were left to right Hickey, Robinson, Macky, Trudo and Foy. Knapp is the back up for both Hickey and Foy, Palmer the top guard backup and Emerich backs up Macky. The run blocking looked good while the pass blocking was a little shaky at times, although the defense was blitzing most of the time. One thing that stood out is that the OL will be very physical this year! There was a lot of pushing and shoving between the OL and the D.

DEFENSE
DL
The Dline had a good day with Bromley, Robinson and Welsh standing out the most. This group isn't as deep as you would think especially at the DE position. Losing MPB and Walls really hurt. Raymon is going to have to step up - I didn't notice him at the scrimmage.
LB's
Starting group looks strong and fast with Spruill in the middle making a lot of plays. The starters I believe will be MS, lynch and Davis with The Juco kids providing very solid depth. Bullough really turned these guys loose as they were flying all over the field.
DB's
To me, this is by far the strongest unit in the defense. Anderson, Lyn, Desir, Reddish, Wilkes, Morgan (probably forgetting someone) all have plenty of experience and ability. Their tight coverage made it tough on the QB's and receivers all day. This group is fast and tough and I think will come up with a lot of big plays this fall.

Overall I thought the offense looked pretty good at this point of the year. The running game looked solid while the passing game showed some signs it could also be good. Too many turnovers however.

The defense is very fast and does a good job of getting a lot of guys to the ball. Wayne Williams will help with the tackles and the DE's will be fine if Raymon helps out. The way Bullough likes to attack lots of Dline depth is needed.
Isn't D Davis out while recovering from shoulder surgery?

I haven't seen anyone mention Eric Crume. Is he participating in spring practice?

Why does everyone think Raymon will help at D-End he is over 300 pounds, and I thought I remember HCSS saying he is in the rotation at DT

Isn't D Davis out while recovering from shoulder surgery?

I haven't seen anyone mention Eric Crume. Is he participating in spring practice?

Davis is out I think. The gent he mistook for Dy Davis apperently was Vigille. The guy looks the part so if he is fast enough to be mistaken for Davis that is fantastic news.

Why does everyone think Raymon will help at D-End he is over 300 pounds, and I thought I remember HCSS saying he is in the rotation at DT

Because he's listed as DE on the roster.

Davis is out I think. The gent he mistook for Dy Davis apperently was Vigille. The guy looks the part so if he is fast enough to be mistaken for Davis that is fantastic news.
Yes, I think Davis is out and that was probably Vigille at the scrimmage...I wasn't clear, but I was trying to say that I assumed Davis would be in the starting lineup this fall. Crume is also out for the spring - when he comes back the DT's wil be fine, it's the DE depth that concerns me. Not sure if Raymon can play there, but after Welsh and Micah there is a noticeable drop off.

Yes, I think Davis is out and that was probably Vigille at the scrimmage...I wasn't clear, but I was trying to say that I assumed Davis would be in the starting lineup this fall. Crume is also out for the spring - when he comes back the DT's wil be fine, it's the DE depth that concerns me. Not sure if Raymon can play there, but after Welsh and Micah there is a noticeable drop off.

Notice anything out of #51 at DE?

Great report thank you!! still looks like QB,OL and DL are big ?????????'s!!

Blew out his knee earlier in Spring practice. ACL, I think.

Ahhh that sucks. I keep waiting to see this guy on the field. A DE that returned punts for TD's in HS should be fun to watch.

Ahhh that sucks. I keep waiting to see this guy on the field. A DE that returned punts for TD's in HS should be fun to watch.
I feel bad for the kid. He seemed poised to step-up and have an impact.

Hopefully Trejo shows up ready to go...we'll need him in the DE rotation.

I'm very interested in the reports on Raymon. Watching HCSS presser, said he had Raymon working with the 2nd unit still and that he has work to do. I guess he's got a great body type for the D-line but still working on his skills?

Can you trust a report that leads with the scrimmage being on Saturday?

But, seriously, thanks for the observations.

OFFENSE
QB's
RB's
REC's
OL

DEFENSE
DL
LB's
DB's

they might have different tempo's. That can throw teams off completely. If they see a opponents defense tired, they may go fast tempo, if they see a team that is blitzing alot they may call the play from the line. I saw AC get good seperation from one of the starting corners, forget who it was against. It was a 40 yard strike down the field.

i hate the look to sideline for play call - aggh drives me nuts when other teams do it
seroiusly, never liked it. Creates too much chaos and discontinuity on the field. Not a fan.

seroiusly, never liked it. Creates too much chaos and discontinuity on the field. Not a fan.

Exactly, last year was a fun to watch, great flow, and Nassib did a great job with command on the field. The whole 11 heads turning to the sidelines, yuck.

Exactly, last year was a fun to watch, great flow, and Nassib did a great job with command on the field. The whole 11 heads turning to the sidelines, yuck.

Begs the question, is this what we want to run, or is it because of the available personnel at QB we HAVE to run it.

Begs the question, is this what we want to run, or is it because of the available personnel at QB we HAVE to run it.

I think it's as much for the coaches, provides them an additional element of control, audibles from the sideline. Nassib had a ton of responsibility, but I have a feeling even if Ryan was the new staffs QB, this is what they would want to do. It's a college vs NFL approach.

Thanks for the report.

I am disturbed at the apparent lack of whiz-bang. Whatever will we do without a whiz-bang linebacker or running back?

Isn't this exactly what the Oregon Ducks do every play, the only difference is that they use giant flash cards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom