Scared for... | Syracusefan.com

Scared for...

mlbball99

2nd String
Don't hate me for bringing this up, but even though we have all of this momentum I think our team is 20x better this year then it will be next year.

I'm scared for all of the losses...

We lose our 3 starting linebackers! (zaire, paris, thomas) and backup linebacker (valdez)--thats 4 linebackers

Our top 2 WR (erv and ish) -- I really am scared about the WR situation next year. We have no WR1

I think the loss of these 6 players is extremely extremely tough to replace. 3 linebackers and our 2 wr. sheesh.

Really hope Dino looks at the Juco route or 5th year grad transfer

We'll have a couple of holes to plug for sure but what Bees said. And there are a lot of backups getting good snaps like Armstrong and Guthrie. The recent picture I saw of Fagan suggest's he's a lot heavier than the listed weight to.

We'll miss Ish's hands but nobody thought we'd replace AT. As much as I love Erv, Nykiem Johnson is like Estime in my mind and we can replace Erv with him, Mo Neal and Lutz.

We need to find another #1 outside WR. Butler is starting to look the part.

LB is the worry..

WR Elite would take the offense to a new level. Pretty good and reliable WR the offense can function even without a running game. I think we will be more explosive and perhaps less consistent next year.

We'll have a couple of holes to plug for sure but what Bees said. And there are a lot of backups getting good snaps like Armstrong and Guthrie. The recent picture I saw of Fagan suggest's he's a lot heavier than the listed weight to.

We'll miss Ish's hands but nobody thought we'd replace AT. As much as I love Erv, Nykiem Johnson is like Estime in my mind and we can replace Erv with him, Mo Neal and Lutz.

We need to find another #1 outside WR. Butler is starting to look the part.

I def thought we’d be able to weather losing AET. This staff is really really good with WR’s.

next year is our BC 1984...gonna win 10 games next year and make a run at the ACC. Dungey Heisman machine will be going over drive.

Don't worry be happy. This is the irrationally exuberant season where we can be equally happy w clemson wins and be ok with a 6 win season.

LB is the worry..

WR Elite would take the offense to a new level. Pretty good and reliable WR the offense can function even without a running game. I think we will be more explosive and perhaps less consistent next year.
On the other
Don't hate me for bringing this up, but even though we have all of this momentum I think our team is 20x better this year then it will be next year.

We lose our 3 starting linebackers! (zaire, paris, thomas) and backup linebacker (valdez)--thats 4 linebackers

Our top 2 WR (erv and ish) -- I really am scared about the WR situation next year. We have no WR1

I think the loss of these 6 players is extremely extremely tough to replace. 3 linebackers and our 2 wr. sheesh.

We return what should be outstanding offensive and defensive lines, One of the best QBs in the country, solid secondary and will have a group of wideouts that understand the system. I think we will be better.

I couldn't disagree more. We should be much better next year.

Dungey in year 3 of this offense
Return 4 starters from a young OL, not to mention getting arguably the best and most experience OG back in Aaron Roberts
All RB's back and adding a bunch more speed
Pierce who is starting to come into his own is back
Sure you lose Ish and Erv, but what did Ish really do last year as the #3 option? This offense will churn out highly productive WR's. I love Butler. He's a young guy who will only get better. I still believe Custis could help supplement the loss as well. And as much as I love Erv, I think Nykeim Johnson could be better when it's all said and done. Erv is more of a freak athlete. N. Johnson is a natural WR. Plus we have a whole load of stud WR's taking a red shirt season. WR is the absolute last position I worry about replacing people.

Defensively if Slayton returns this defense will return 8 starters.
Entire defensive backfield will be back, and better. That includes a healthy Cordy (assumingly)
All of a sudden we have a log jam at DE with Robinson, Coleman, Berry, Jonathan.
Slayton and Samuels, who imo has been most improved player on the team return
LB we lose the heart of the defense, but I also feel this is where we have the most talented under classmen ready to step up. Fagan is going to be a stud. Armstrong will be fine and I can see one of the young guys winning the SAM.

Even the HOF is going to be back and better than ever.

The future is bright

With Dungey and the OL basically all back, and Dino, I think we’ll be fine on offense. Pierce and Neal should be able to be Bigtime playmakers, and this offense should be able to find a couple WRs to at least be decent. LB is my biggest concern.

Here's something to think about. What if Dungey continues to kill it the rest of the season, is there a chance he's gone after this season then...

We all spent the summer worrying about the D line and that was before we lost Clark. Not so much anymore. Dino will make it work.

Schedule looks to be easier too. We go from @LSU, CCSU, CMU, MTSU, @Miami to @Western Michigan, Wagner, UConn, @ND, UNC

At one time I might’ve worried about year-to-year turnover. But the first thing Dino talks about in solidifying this rebuild is our lack of depth.
He realizes that what’s needed is to reload, not rebuild. I believe the one position where we’re closest to that reality is WR. We’re loaded there and it’s gonna get better next year. Oh, and Fagan will be a beast and the next Z Franklin.
Either way, someone will emerge, and maybe one of the stud FR speed burners will come in and claim a spot. Not worried in the least.

We may have better athletes across the board at WR next year.. But one thing we wont know is will they be as consistent catching the ball. Ish and Erv have been great at just catching the ball this year in tight spaces. There may be more guys running in space but who knows if they will catch everything.. Custis looks like ISH but he has dropped way more passes in far fewer throws..

IMG_9579.GIF

Here's something to think about. What if Dungey continues to kill it the rest of the season, is there a chance he's gone after this season then...

Absolutely. If he grades out as a first rounder (i have no idea if this is remotely possible), I'd probably tell him, if i was dino, to leave. The NFL is a meat grinder business. May as well get the guaranteed money before u get killed in college.

What all positive posts said. But this first, I will enjoy this season. Win or lose, these kids have already improved much in the team's ability play with anyone. I believe we win at least three more games, with possibility of another win or two. After our bowl game, I will start to be concerned with next year.

Overall, we have a lot back in 2018 if Slayton stays. Always will have to replace a handful of the best players in college football and Dino knows how to tap grads and jucos.
But consider that Franklin is a 4 year starter, Bennett at least 3 years of starting and Thomas 2 plus. None of Dino's backers have done much so far and the experience factor drops off considerably.
People are vastly under-rating Phillips, who also did more early than any of Dino's recruits at WR, and Ishmael also played and had impact early. Butler likely will get better - he will have to.
Not saying we take a step back as a team, but there will be work to do at these spots.

Schedule in 2018 is pretty much on par with this season except swapping NC at home for @Miami. Our likely wins with Pitt (done), Wake and BC become away games.

There's always attrition. It's one of the things I like about college football. Players are around long enough to get to know them, but there's enough annual change that it stays interesting.

The WR thing entered my mind too, but, ultimately it's about trusting the staff to recruit replacements. It's nice that some young guys are getting their feet wet this year while Ish and Philips carry the load. Pierce has been contributing, Custis will have a chance to contribute more and there is more talent coming in. As the oline improves and we get more consistency from the run game it should soften the blow of losing two experienced WRs and open up space for whoever takes their place.

LB may take a temporary step back but we have guys with good measureables learning this year. With an improved dline and secondary there should be less pressure on them.

Right now I'm hoping the Clemson game can be the start of some nice momentum for the rest of this year.

I am in the opposite corner. I think we will be better. We are only losing like 8 players (guestimate, didn't count) from the two deep, yes the whole LBing starters are gone, but I believe the ones to step in will step in without losing a beat. As Bees stated, we are getting back almost everyone from both sides of the line. The players will have one more year under their belt in learning the system. We have some fast athletic guys who can catch waiting in the wings to take over for Ish and Erv. We are also getting more speed at RB as well. Not only will be okay but I think we can compete for the ACC title. Only time will tell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom