Scheduling | Syracusefan.com

Scheduling

bszbsz

Walk On
I honestly believe that our weak early season and out of conference schedule really inflated us in the rankings and our confidence, as a result it did not toughen us up for the hard stretch which we are currently in. JB really doesn't help our players get their heads on right by doing this, and it may just be a way to get more wins under his belt. Also, I would love to turn on espn and see our boys playing the the Duke, UNCs or either of the Michigan teams early on.

If you look at any of the other high profile teams they all play tough out of conference schedules that not only help with early season exposure but also allow them to get some quality wins under their belt which ultimately help with seeding come dance time.

As of right now we have only beaten one team that is currently ranked, that is not what anyone wants to hear on february 25th and is no way to make a run in march.

I honestly believe that our weak early season and out of conference schedule really inflated us in the rankings and our confidence, as a result it did not toughen us up for the hard stretch which we are currently in. JB really doesn't help our players get their heads on right by doing this, and it may just be a way to get more wins under his belt. Also, I would love to turn on espn and see our boys playing the the Duke, UNCs or either of the Michigan teams early on.

If you look at any of the other high profile teams they all play tough out of conference schedules that not only help with early season exposure but also allow them to get some quality wins under their belt which ultimately help with seeding come dance time.

As of right now we have only beaten one team that is currently ranked, that is not what anyone wants to hear on february 25th and is no way to make a run in march.

You make is sound like teams are lining up to play us. Its not as easy as just saying hey lets play. The only complaint I had was our draw in the SEC/BE challenge. I would have liked us to play Florida again as opposed to Arkansas.

We are not some middle of the pack team, high major teams would love to play us and if you think otherwise you are being delusional. All I am saying is that there should be no reason that our toughest out of conference game is one vs San Diego State on a floor that cant be kept dry. JB and DG should have a bit more of the Izzo "anybody, anywhere" when scheduling our early season games.

We are not some middle of the pack team, high major teams would love to play us and if you think otherwise you are being delusional. All I am saying is that there should be no reason that our toughest out of conference game is one vs San Diego State on a floor that cant be kept dry. JB and DG should have a bit more of the Izzo "anybody, anywhere" when scheduling our early season games.

High major teams would love to come into the dome to play us? Really? Name me one coach that would say "sure I would love to go into Syracuse and play them?" I think you are the one that is being delusional.

We never go on the road in non conference so why would we all of s sudden start now? The only team to beat Arkansas at home this year was us so that is a pretty good road win.

BTW Izzo only had one tough non conference road game this year and that was at Miami for the ACC/Bi1G challenge so lets not get carried away.

Why can't we play on a neutral court like these interconference games, duke doesn't play louisville at cameron indoor and it seems to work out well for them. And we start now because I want to go to more then 1 elite 8 in 10 years, and this seems to be a common theme among teams that go deep into the tournament every year.

Also Izzo went to germany to play UConn then flew to atlanta to play Kansas. They also played Texas, who although may not be the best team in the country is a high profile name.

Why can't we play on a neutral court like these interconference games, duke doesn't play louisville at cameron indoor and it seems to work out well for them. And we start now because I want to go to more then 1 elite 8 in 10 years, and this seems to be a common theme among teams that go deep into the tournament every year.

Also Izzo went to germany to play UConn then flew to atlanta to play Kansas. They also played Texas, who although may not be the best team in the country is a high profile name.

Dude Texas is one of the worst BCS teams this season so the high profile team name thing holds no water here. Our win over Detroit is more impressive. Our game against SDST was on paper at the time a tougher game than MSU/Uconn.

Duke played in a pre-conference tourney this year so that is why they had some marquee names on the schedule which is why they played Louisville (also they both had to keep winning to play each other so technically they didnt schedule Louisville). We play in Maui next season so we will get some better teams on the schedule (I know Gonzaga will be there).

Duke lost in the first round last year to a 15 seed in case you forgot so it happens to other teams as well.

Who would ever want to play Detroit over texas? We play Texas that is a 7 or 9 oclock game on ESPN we play Detroit we get bumped for uconn women on SNY. Also Duke played ohio state and Kentucky as well.

All I am saying is that year after year we schedule early season cupcakes and I believe that if we played a better early season and out of conference schedule we would see results come march and potentially early april. Because to me it seems that other high profile teams do it year in and year out and they see more continued success later in the season.

And if you look at next year's maui invitational the other teams are Arkansas (again), the zags, who can be either really good or not very good and Minnesota, no high major teams that make deep runs year in and year out. Why can't we play in a tournament that has a UNC, Duke, Ohio State or Arizona? Because they seem to be playing each other and not playing us.

Who would ever want to play Detroit over texas? We play Texas that is a 7 or 9 oclock game on ESPN we play Detroit we get bumped for uconn women on SNY. Also Duke played ohio state and Kentucky as well.

All I am saying is that year after year we schedule early season cupcakes and I believe that if we played a better early season and out of conference schedule we would see results come march and potentially early april. Because to me it seems that other high profile teams do it year in and year out and they see more continued success later in the season.

And if you look at next year's maui invitational the other teams are Arkansas (again), the zags, who can be either really good or not very good and Minnesota, no high major teams that make deep runs year in and year out. Why can't we play in a tournament that has a UNC, Duke, Ohio State or Arizona? Because they seem to be playing each other and not playing us.

I would rather play Detroit than Texas this year. Anyone else? I see a lot of hands in the air. Your argument is that we need to play "better teams" and Detroit is better than Texas.

You do also realize that we went 30-1 last year and probably would have made the FF had Fab not been ineligible. Also you do realize that we go to the FF if Arinze doesnt tear up a quad. Sometimes shitty luck happens and we have had our share unfortunately. It has nothing to do with not being challenged in the pre conference.

Duke played OSU in the ACC/B1G challenge so again that was treated like our Arkansas matchup.

You also make it sound like we are the ones that are turning down chances to play big profile teams. Maybe other schools are turning down chances to play us?

You also make it sound like we are the ones that are turning down chances to play big profile teams. Maybe other schools are turning down chances to play us?

Well I definitely think it's a conscious decision not to play many road games OOC. I would assume most of the time get a home game against an elite team you'd need to give them a game at their place

Well I definitely think it's a conscious decision not to play many road games OOC. I would assume most of the time get a home game against an elite team you'd need to give them a game at their place

We are never playing Duke in a home and home (well now we will be). Teams like Carolina, OSU would never commit to a home and home with us. Last year we did win at NC State. Why would we go out and play at Gonzaga or Arizona? Makes no sense. We dont need to play these games nor would they come out here to play us.

In all fairness, if Kabongo was eligible from day 1, things could have been different.

I obviously prefer a stronger schedule. I'd like to reach the elite 8, look around at the remaining teams, and know we can beat them b/c, well, we already did earlier in the season.

We are never playing Duke in a home and home (well now we will be). Teams like Carolina, OSU would never commit to a home and home with us. Last year we did win at NC State. Why would we go out and play at Gonzaga or Arizona? Makes no sense. We dont need to play these games nor would they come out here to play us.

Is it that hard to believe UNC or Ohio State or Michigan State would play us in a home and home? MSU did a decade ago.
Whatever, I understand what our schedule is, but you seem to be acting like our hands are tied. They aren't; if we wanted to play a tougher schedule we could. Other teams do. We don't; that's fine, but it's a conscious decision.

Why wouldn't Gonzaga come out here to play us? They've played at Illinois, Xavier, Oklahoma State, Notre Dame, Wake Forest, Michigan State, etc over the last few years.

Is it that hard to believe UNC or Ohio State or Michigan State would play us in a home and home? MSU did a decade ago.
Whatever, I understand what our schedule is, but you seem to be acting like our hands are tied. They aren't; if we wanted to play a tougher schedule we could. Other teams do. We don't; that's fine, but it's a conscious decision.

Why wouldn't Gonzaga come out here to play us? They've played at Illinois, Xavier, Oklahoma State, Notre Dame, Wake Forest, Michigan State, etc over the last few years.

They wouldnt because Few and JB are friends and wont schedule each other. Same reason why we didnt play Duke in a home and home.

I am not saying that our hands are tied. Not at all. I just think that other teams have the mentality that they would rather play non conference games at home as opposed to play a home and home against a difficult non conference team. With these pre conference tournaments and these conference challenges very few top level teams are scheduling true road games pre conference. that was really my point.

I guess what i'm saying is we went what, 4 years without playing a true road game OOC? I understand there are more tournaments than ever before and that means fewer road games, but I don't think it is a coincidence that we went that long without playing a road game. Every other team played some road games over that period.

As for the main point though, I agree that I don't think the lack of road games is really hurting our team. It's nice to play them for the fans, and the committee looks favorably on it, but it isn't the end of the world. And hey, now with leaving the BE we should get at least 1 road game against old BE teams every year

In all fairness, if Kabongo was eligible from day 1, things could have been different.

I obviously prefer a stronger schedule. I'd like to reach the elite 8, look around at the remaining teams, and know we can beat them b/c, well, we already did earlier in the season.

Not so sure. He had 24 over the weekend against KState and they still got killed. They probably are not as bad as their record shows but that team is just not very good.

I also think there is a bit of revenue pressure here. we need to schedule the maximum amount of home games to generate some revenue. It looks like the plan year in and year out is to schedule teams that are picked to win or be at the top of their conference. Teams like Detroit, Long Beach State, Canisius etc. I also think its a myth about how easy our schedule is ... the current Strength of Schedules as provided by Ken Pomeroy:

Syracuse - 41
Kansas - 43
Indiana - 54
Florida - 45

And ours will only go lower over the next couple weeks. when you play in the BE, it is not imperative to load up OOC like a Gonzaga or butler needs to do. It would have been nice to get a ranked opponent in the BE/SEC challenge but there just weren't any ... we had played florida each of the last two years I believe. Kentucky would have been nice but in name only. Arkansas is the gift that keeps on giving right now with us as the only team to win there this year.

Anyone arguing that a tough early season schedule makes you better or ready for the post season would be in direct disagreement with JB.

Anyone arguing that a tough early season schedule makes you better or ready for the post season would be in direct disagreement with JB.

Honestly, I would like to have had more then one elite 8 since 2003. So I have no problem with being in disagreement with JB.

Honestly, I would like to have had more then one elite 8 since 2003. So I have no problem with being in disagreement with JB.

I still dont see how a tougher non conference schedule equates to more elite 8's?

Look at Mizzzou last year. Killed it all season pre and conference tourney. Picked off by Norfolk St. It happens.

we have played all of those teams over the years. Under JB , we played Duke in North carolina. Did you not know that? We played at kentucky, UCLA, in Florida against florida, in Kansas against Kansas, at Mich state, at Michigan, Indiana 3x on neutral courts. The list goes on.

Most of those teams weren't good enough to get past the sweet 16. The 2010 team was but we lost our starting center right before the tournament. You might remember that.

Arguing anything related to college sports with Marsh is similar to me trying to get it on with JLH: you might be successful in your dreams, it'll be over with quick, and end up pretty messy.

Arguing anything related to college sports with Marsh is similar to me trying to get it on with JLH: you might be successful in your dreams, but even if you are, it'll be over with quick and end up pretty messy.

Ha, thanks.

I take it noone stayed up to watch the LIU Brooklyn/Wagner thriller last night? Just me?

Damn you're quick - even quoted me before I fixed my post!

Unfortunately I got roped into watching the Oscars so needless to say it turned into an early night for me.

Simple answer quoted from most epxerienced poster: $
Now with the move to the ACC, and more confernce $ available, games are being scheduled against at least St Johns and Georgtown so there are 2 big names. Then add in the Big 10 challenge (if it is still going too happen with the league expansions) you have 3. And next year there is Maui. The OOC next year should be high quality. Now the question is, will the team have a roster up to it and get further in the NCAA like you think it should with the tougher early games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom