Scholarships | Syracusefan.com

Scholarships

NineOneSeven

2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
With Moyer transferring and Battle more than likely gone, there should be 2 open scholarships for next season, right? I strongly encourage our coaching staff to do what they can to bring in at least one more guy. Imagine most here would agree?

With Moyer transferring and Battle more than likely gone, there should be 2 open scholarships for next season, right? I strongly encourage our coaching staff to do what they can to bring in at least one more guy. Imagine most here would agree?
Didn’t Bayer have one too

Wonder if Dolezaj has any buddies. He knows what we need and no one else is tapping those resources

I don't think you bring someone in, just to bring someone in.

Hughes and Howard have been in the system, plus you'll have Carey and Buddy in the backcourt. I'd like to think that Washington will be redshirting.

Brissett, Bazley, Dolezaj, Chukwu and Sidibe round out the frontcourt.

That's nine players at the moment who can all play.

Would still cost him $20k unless Buddy lives at home. Yea, JB can afford it but if we don’t need the scholie, I hope they give Buddy one.

If we can get by this year, sure.

We'll never use all 13 going forward when we're back to full strength.

Would still cost him $20k unless Buddy lives at home. Yea, JB can afford it but if we don’t need the scholie, I hope they give Buddy one.
Just give JB a raise by 50k and keep the Buddy scholarship open.

Putting Buddy on scholarship is stupid.

You can’t complain about sanctions reducing scholarships then not use all of your available scholarships.
If we find 12 players and Buddy isn’t using a scholarship we would be basically be negating the penalty of being short 1 scholarship.

We have 9 players right now but Howard Washington isn’t healthy.
That is 8.
JB needs to bring in at least 1 recruit and 1 grad transfer.

Enough of not having depth in the pipes.

Howard
Washington
Hughes
Brissett
Dolezaj
Chukwu
Sidibe

Carey
Bazley

That's 9. We're allowed 12.

I really hope we get another transfer or two, a la Hughes. Sit out a year and be ready to play when the mass exodus potentially happens after next year (Brissett, Chukwu, Howard, Bazley all will likely be going; Carey could be, too).

You can’t complain about sanctions reducing scholarships then not use all of your available scholarships.
If we find 12 players and Buddy isn’t using a scholarship we would be basically be negating the penalty of being short 1 scholarship.

That is 8.

We have 9, excluding Washington. 4 guards, 3 forwards, 2 centers.

The program finally has some breathing room and can get 'program guys' with the extra 'ships. I don't think we should fill all 3 open spots because that causes more problems than people realize, but I'd love it if the team could pick up a big or two as insurance plans for Sidibe and Chukwu. There should be some lower level 4 star (maybe high 3 star) recruits we could pick up late in the game.

We have 9, excluding Washington. 4 guards, 3 forwards, 2 centers.
9 includes Buddy on scholarship if Howard Washington is out.

Frank Howard
Elijah Hughes
Jalen Carey
Howard Washington probable RS
Buddy Boeheim

Oshae Brissett
Darius Bazley
Marek Dolezaj

Paschal Chukwu
Bourama Sidibe

These are the 10 we have. Buddy shouldn’t be on scholarship though. We can just pay JB extra and keep the scholarship open.

Without Buddy on scholarship we can 3 players. Buddy shouldn’t be on scholarship not because he isn’t good enough but to keep roster flexibility.

If we can find an impact natural transfer we should take them.

Look on the waiver wire. With the depth we have next year and Buddy basically being a free scholarship player we should do what we did with Hughes this year.
Find a good natural transfer.

9 includes Buddy on scholarship if Howard Washington is out.

Frank Howard
Elijah Hughes
Jalen Carey
Howard Washington probable RS
Buddy Boeheim

Oshae Brissett
Darius Bazley
Marek Dolezaj

Paschal Chukwu
Bourama Sidibe

These are the 10 we have. Buddy shouldn’t be on scholarship though. We can just pay JB extra and keep the scholarship open.

Without Buddy on scholarship we can 3 players. Buddy shouldn’t be on scholarship not because he isn’t good enough but to keep roster flexibility.

Buddy on scholarship might impact the scholarship situation for future years, but it doesn't impact this year. 2 more scholarships should be plenty. Remember, most of the desirable players are already committed, and the ones who aren't are unlikely to pick a late-arriving Syracuse squad with its starting 5 pretty much locked in and at least two guys expected to get north of 15 mpg off the bench. With grad transfers out of the picture (hopefully), that leaves mostly 'project' players and traditional transfers.

Scholarships impact future recruits; it's a balancing act. You don't necessarily want to fill all of your scholarships just because they're available. Buddy taking up a spot this year should have no impact, because the team shouldn't be trying to land 3 more guys. In future years, his schollie could always be pulled if the team needs it for a recruit.

Prediction: Jimmy Jr. transfers in from Cornell, obviously sitting out next year, with the plan being that him, Buddy, & JB can all depart The Dome together on a brisk March Saturday in 2022.

Whether he's put on schollie or not, many on this board will refuse to let simple math get in the way of anti-JB sentiment & accuse him of "pushing out Moyer to make room for Jimmy".

You heard it here 1st.

Prediction: Jimmy Jr. transfers in from Cornell, obviously sitting out next year, with the plan being that him, Buddy, & JB can all depart The Dome together on a brisk March Saturday in 2022.

Whether he's put on schollie or not, many on this board will refuse to let simple math get in the way of anti-JB sentiment & accuse him of "pushing out Moyer to make room for Jimmy".

You heard it here 1st.

If I had a free ride at Cornell - or just got into Cornell, period - I wouldn't trade that in to sit on my dad's bench at Syracuse.

Last edited by a moderator:

That is 8.

Agree. Need bodies if for nothing else, it helps in practice and gives insurance for injuries. At very least, if you dont want to screw around with future years, then get a grad transfer who adds depth and knows they're not a starter. Have to imagine a kid wants a Newhouse masters or a Maxwell one right?

You heard it here 1st.
I suspect that if Jimmy had a chance of getting any minutes at a school of Syracuse's caliber, he'd be here already. And it's not like he's set the world on fire at Cornell since getting there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom