Scholarships | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Scholarships

Just give JB a raise by 50k and keep the Buddy scholarship open.

Putting Buddy on scholarship is stupid.

You can’t complain about sanctions reducing scholarships then not use all of your available scholarships.
If we find 12 players and Buddy isn’t using a scholarship we would be basically be negating the penalty of being short 1 scholarship.

We have 9 players right now but Howard Washington isn’t healthy.
That is 8.
JB needs to bring in at least 1 recruit and 1 grad transfer.

Enough of not having depth in the pipes.

I think I said if we don’t need it and we aren’t finding 3 more players so give 1 to Buddy.

With Moyer transferring and Battle more than likely gone, there should be 2 open scholarships for next season, right? I strongly encourage our coaching staff to do what they can to bring in at least one more guy. Imagine most here would agree?

I actually don't think we need to add anyone. We'll have 10 players next year (Chukwu, Sidibe, Brissett, Bazley, Marek, Hughes, Howard, Carey, Buddy, Washington). Regardless if Howard Washington red shirts he'll be available for practice.
  • If you go for a 5th year transfer you are not getting a top tier player because there is no playing time. You would just be adding a practice body who plays in the event someone gets hurt. Very few quality 5th year transfers want to do that.
  • If you go for an unsigned high school recruit you are not getting a superstar (very few left and no playing time)
  • If you find a regular transfer who has to sit out this yera and contributes down the line that is fine but of no help for next year.
  • If you sign a project or someone a notch or two below who is willing to wait that's fine but how is that a big need for next year.
  • Now if Brissett decided to go (not likely) then the first bullet changes and you can try and land a PF who is ready to contribute.

The issue is there is no playing time and therefore top tier players would not be interested. If you can't sell someone like Matt Moyer, who loves Cuse, on waiting around for the possibility of someone getting injured you won't be selling someone who has no connection to the program.

I think the best option is finding a talented transfer who sits out this year, provides practice help and contributes down the line (i.e Hughes this past year).

Cuse!

I suspect that if Jimmy had a chance of getting any minutes at a school of Syracuse's caliber, he'd be here already. And it's not like he's set the world on fire at Cornell since getting there.
Oh, I'm not suggesting he'd ever contribute here. He'd be just like any other walk-on. I could still see him transferring in.

Prediction: Jimmy Jr. transfers in from Cornell, obviously sitting out next year, with the plan being that him, Buddy, & JB can all depart The Dome together on a brisk March Saturday in 2022.

Whether he's put on schollie or not, many on this board will refuse to let simple math get in the way of anti-JB sentiment & accuse him of "pushing out Moyer to make room for Jimmy".

You heard it here 1st.

I don't think that's going to happen -- from what I understand, Jimmy Jr. is quite happy at Cornell, and figures to get consistent playing time there. That wouldn't be the case at SU. I think he chose the right "level" of play for his skill set -- he'll get an Ivy League education, and be in a position to earn lots of PT as a multi-year starter.

Not saying you're "wrong," BTW, but I don't foresee him transferring.

I actually don't think we need to add anyone. We'll have 10 players next year (Chukwu, Sidibe, Brissett, Bazley, Marek, Hughes, Howard, Carey, Buddy, Washington). Regardless if Howard Washington red shirts he'll be available for practice.
  • If you go for a 5th year transfer you are not getting a top tier player because there is no playing time. You would just be adding a practice body who plays in the event someone gets hurt. Very few quality 5th year transfers want to do that.
  • If you go for an unsigned high school recruit you are not getting a superstar (very few left and no playing time)
  • If you find a regular transfer who has to sit out this yera and contributes down the line that is fine but of no help for next year.
  • If you sign a project or someone a notch or two below who is willing to wait that's fine but how is that a big need for next year.
  • Now if Brissett decided to go (not likely) then the first bullet changes and you can try and land a PF who is ready to contribute.

The issue is there is no playing time and therefore top tier players would not be interested. If you can't sell someone like Matt Moyer, who loves Cuse, on waiting around for the possibility of someone getting injured you won't be selling someone who has no connection to the program.

I think the best option is finding a talented transfer who sits out this year, provides practice help and contributes down the line (i.e Hughes this past year).

Cuse!

You left out two options -- first, mining the euro / international market. Second, with all of the coaching changes, looking to flip someone committed elsewhere who now is reopening their recruitment.

I'm not comfortable with just 10, with 9 being healthy. An injury or two [like we experienced this year], and we're right back in the shiznit with depth. Having only three forwards is not ideal.

If I had a free ride at Cornell, - or just got into Cornell, period - I wouldn't trade that in to sit on my dad's bench at Syracuse.
There are no athletic scholarships at Ivy League schools.

Prediction: Jimmy Jr. transfers in from Cornell, obviously sitting out next year, with the plan being that him, Buddy, & JB can all depart The Dome together on a brisk March Saturday in 2022.

Whether he's put on schollie or not, many on this board will refuse to let simple math get in the way of anti-JB sentiment & accuse him of "pushing out Moyer to make room for Jimmy".

You heard it here 1st.
I sat next to Jimmy at the Duke game in Omaha. Jimmy is very happy at Cornell. He's a very good student there, loves the place and is very close friends with his roommate, starting point guard Terrance McBride, and, I assume, with his other teammates. No way he is leaving to come to Syracuse.

Alsacs has a point ... enough already with the depth problems. Not saying we need all 12, but 9 guys is just irresponsible. Clearly we could use a center. Having whiffed on Valdir, we could use a big to give us some minutes in the middle ... to eliminate the crisis (roster) management we saw this year. Sid's going to be coming off surgery, and we all know how easily ACC refs dole out fouls. So that's one schollie worth using. A Grad transfer would open up a ship for the following year.

With Moyer leaving, I could also see using another scholarship on a forward. Three is risky, especially when all our forwards are twigs. If any one of them gets hurt, we're SOL (back to playing guys 39 mpg, using a SG, etc). That would not be smart. So having a 4th forward isn't a bad idea at all, especially if we can grab a kid who's beefy and can come in and help on the glass. That would still leave one scholarship open (and the following year we're back to 13 anyway).

Last edited:

Cuse!

you make good points, but remember- sanctions aka loss of scholarships CRIPPLED us... I am told.

you make good points, but remember- sanctions aka loss of scholarships CRIPPLED us... I am told.

They did. Extra scholarships mean you can take flyers on fringe recruits, offer scholarships to more recruits, and afford to miss on guys or have guys leave early. Not having the extra scholarships means you can't do that.

Using 10 out of 12 or 13 scholarships is an entirely different ballgame than using 9 or 10 out of 10. Night and day, basically.

I just want one more seasoned center so we good guard that rim like no one has ever seen before and have no foul concerns whatsoever

Cuse!
I do believe that there are good grad players who would gladly join a contending National Championship squad. Great way to end a career

Extra scholarships mean you can take flyers on fringe recruits, offer scholarships to more recruits, and afford to miss on guys or have guys leave early. Not having the extra scholarships means you can't do that.
How do extra scholarships allow a team to afford to miss on guys who leave early? If you lose your star PF after 2018-19, how does having an extra scholarship that season make up for that loss in 2019-20?

Oh, I'm not suggesting he'd ever contribute here. He'd be just like any other walk-on. I could still see him transferring in.
Why would he want to transfer from Cornell to Syracuse???

He's not good enough to play at Syracuse.

He's playing at Cornell and will get more time in the future.

He'll have a degree from Cornell which will open more doors for him.

If I had a free ride at Cornell - or just got into Cornell, period - I wouldn't trade that in to sit on my dad's bench at Syracuse.

If he red shirts he could be a grad transfer with a Cornell degree.

How do extra scholarships allow a team to afford to miss on guys who leave early? If you lose your star PF after 2018-19, how does having an extra scholarship that season make up for that loss in 2019-20?

In the context of the sanctions? Simple. Say you anticipate returning/filling 9 out of 10 available spots for the following season. You're going to have to be extra careful with who you offer that final spot to. If you have an unexpected early departure, you're up to 2 available spots but likely way too late in the game to expand your targets much. Basically, you already had to limit your target pool because you were so close to the scholarship limit. The unexpected departure hurts more because you couldn't initially offer as many guys as you would have with more scholarship room. You'd likely be scrambling to fill the spot with recruits you haven't contacted in a while. You're behind the 8 ball.

If you're already expecting to return/fill-in 9 out of 13 spots, you're not limited in who you can offer. You can hand out offers like candy and cast a much wider scouting net. Now, when you get that unexpected departure, you already have a plethora of targets you have relationships with to tap into. Makes it much easier to grab a higher caliber player later in the game.

Even without sanctions, you want to leave a little bit of breathing room between true scholarship players (not rewarded walk-ons) and your scholarship limit. Filling all 13 scholarships is a bad idea due to the issues highlighted in my first point. The added problem is that players 11-13 are likely to be non-contributors for a while (think DaShonte Riley). You'd rather fill departures with Top 100 freshman than some 3 star guys who aren't ready yet. If you max out your scholarships with too many 'projects', you might not have the scholarships available to grab the talented recruits you want/need, or you might end up getting into the game too late and missing on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I had a free ride at Cornell - or just got into Cornell, period - I wouldn't trade that in to sit on my dad's bench at Syracuse.

There is no full athletic scholarship for Ivy League schools, plus he's not good enough to play at this level or he'd have gone to a school that's competitive.

With 3 scholies available supposedly (do we know for sure Buddy hasn’t already been given a scholie?), if I had my druthers I’d use them as follows.

1. A 6’9 240# true PF banger who could also play center when needed.

2. A 6’6/6’7 true SF who was very quick and defensive minded.

3. Buddy

We still aren't 100 percent sure Battle is a first round pick. Whatever scout Brent Axe speaks to has him 2nd round to undrafted...

We should bring in another big as insurance for Sidibe if he doesn't fully recover from his surgery. Plus it gives him a year to develop when we will lose Chukwu the following year.

We should bring in another big as insurance for Sidibe if he doesn't fully recover from his surgery. Plus it gives him a year to develop when we will lose Chukwu the following year.

Valdir Manuel would have been perfect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom