Scholarships | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Scholarships

you make good points, but remember- sanctions aka loss of scholarships CRIPPLED us... I am told.

Remember back in November when some redhead kid splashed 7 of 9 three point attempts (some from waaay downtown) thru the nets in the Dome en route to 23 points against us?

Well, imagine that same kid playing every game in the Dome the past two seasons.

That's what I think about each time the scholarship reductions are discussed. That hurts. Bigly.

Howard
Washington
Hughes
Brissett
Dolezaj
Chukwu
Sidibe

Carey
Bazley

That's 9. We're allowed 12.

plus the guard who plays with Buddy is a preferred walk-on, which i assume means if there is an open scholarship he gets it, i have posted about him in the past, he will be a very good practice and emergency player from what i am told

plus Buddy, plus Taj Harris w/out scholarships gives us 12 guys everyday for practice and games, i still think we need another solid big-man and maybe a another big man to red-shirt...

yes correct 9 confirmed scholarships but 12 players not including true walkons

There is no full athletic scholarship for Ivy League schools, plus he's not good enough to play at this level or he'd have gone to a school that's competitive.

Already addressed.

I've read through the thread and I'm a little confused. Bayer is not mentioned as one of the players with a schollie. I thought he got one mid season. Has that been taken away?

It'd be almost reckless and irresponsible to not add at least two more players (assuming Tyus is gone, and he is...).

We can all talk about the depth we'll have on paper. Nobody knows how ready the 3 freshmen will be, how Hughes will perform or how well/soon HW and Sid return from major knee surgeries. We thought we had some depth going into this year, but things can change quickly. You have to be as prepared as you can be, and not using all the open scholarships is not being fully prepared.

We need another big guy. I don't know how or where we'll find one that could be capable of playing, but we can't have Chukwu and a question mark in Sid as the only options. Marek/Bazley will be thrown in the middle and that is hardly ideal.

I think we're going to be ok at guard, depth-wise, assuming Buddy will be ready and HW doesn't take a shirt. I don't like not having a PG, but that's just how it's going to be.

Taking a traditional transfer makes too much sense. It'd be a really smart way to plan for 2019-2020 as we'll be losing Frank, PC, Brissett (likely), Bazley (likely) and who knows, maybe Carey or Marek, too. A player that can step right in and play SF would be ideal, especially if that kid can shoot. Heck, I'd be fine taking two transfers (a big guy) to ensure we won't be scrambling once again come next spring.

It'd be almost reckless and irresponsible to not add at least two more players (assuming Tyus is gone, and he is...).

We can all talk about the depth we'll have on paper. Nobody knows how ready the 3 freshmen will be, how Hughes will perform or how well/soon HW and Sid return from major knee surgeries. We thought we had some depth going into this year, but things can change quickly. You have to be as prepared as you can be, and not using all the open scholarships is not being fully prepared.

We need another big guy. I don't know how or where we'll find one that could be capable of playing, but we can't have Chukwu and a question mark in Sid as the only options. Marek/Bazley will be thrown in the middle and that is hardly ideal.

I think we're going to be ok at guard, depth-wise, assuming Buddy will be ready and HW doesn't take a shirt. I don't like not having a PG, but that's just how it's going to be.

Taking a traditional transfer makes too much sense. It'd be a really smart way to plan for 2019-2020 as we'll be losing Frank, PC, Brissett (likely), Bazley (likely) and who knows, maybe Carey or Marek, too. A player that can step right in and play SF would be ideal, especially if that kid can shoot. Heck, I'd be fine taking two transfers (a big guy) to ensure we won't be scrambling once again come next spring.

The thing about transfers, just like the thing about recruits is - they have to want YOU.

You can want them all you'd like, but unless there's reciprocal interest, then it's pretty much a moot point.

There's no "Traditional Transfer Store" that we can go to, to pick up the extra players we'd like to have for down the road.

The thing about transfers, just like the thing about recruits is - they have to want YOU.

You can want them all you'd like, but unless there's reciprocal interest, then it's pretty much a moot point.

There's no "Traditional Transfer Store" that we can go to, to pick up the extra players we'd like to have for down the road.
If we don’t get a transfer we better get multiple HS or Juco recruits.

The status quo won’t be acceptable.

If we don’t get a transfer we better get multiple HS or Juco recruits.

The status quo won’t be acceptable.

I’ll take a physically ready JUCO any day. Texas Tech and Kansas St. have success with these types of guys. Guys who won’t get pushed around by most.

With 3 scholies available supposedly (do we know for sure Buddy hasn’t already been given a scholie?), if I had my druthers I’d use them as follows.

1. A 6’9 240# true PF banger who could also play center when needed.

2. A 6’6/6’7 true SF who was very quick and defensive minded.

3. Buddy

Would love a 4/5 guy with some muscle around 240. Who's the last guy SU had that could power the ball up offensively, AO?

Would love a 4/5 guy with some muscle around 240. Who's the last guy SU had that could power the ball up offensively, AO?

Rak? Not quite as big as AO, but he was a pretty big dude

They did. Extra scholarships mean you can take flyers on fringe recruits, offer scholarships to more recruits, and afford to miss on guys or have guys leave early. Not having the extra scholarships means you can't do that.

Using 10 out of 12 or 13 scholarships is an entirely different ballgame than using 9 or 10 out of 10. Night and day, basically.

JB being a lame duck hurt just as much. all the stupid chatter on here about him stepping back in recruiting because he was old and lazy was a pile of steaming dog poop. Hopkins was getting ready to take over, and JB was stepping back. Kids love Mike but he isn't the icon that JB is. that being said, I totally agree with your points. I also think we need to bring in a grad transfer if possible and a longer term player(either HS or traditional transfer).

Diagne would’ve been that guy we’re talking about and wishing for...sigh.

Wonder if the NCAA is looking into Marek as we speak... how he was able to be on the active roster without their interference surprised me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom