Scrimmage Feb 2 / Yale | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Scrimmage Feb 2 / Yale

Comforting I guess that some guys on our team beat some guys on Yale 10-6 in the second half. Would seem to be the story of the team lately in a nutshell. Amazing levels of depth, but are top guys cannot take over the game on a level that the other top guys of top teams can. But then again it's just a scrimmage.

Varello 12-21, with majority against Ierlan.
Dordevic, Rehfuss, and others not mentioned sat but Desko says they should be ready for Friday night.
Voigt with a hat trick. Cook, Solomon, and Lipka 1-2 each. Trimboli was 2-1. Quinn with a pair as well as Kennedy.
Porter in for the first two quarters making 6 saves, with Strang and Klan getting a quarter a piece in the second half.

Always concerned when Desko praises the other team to start an interview. I don't think he should start my grandmother at goalie on Friday. She swallowed a lot of rubber today. Too bad she didn't have her stick with her. God awful. And what about 3 of the seven dwarfs on defense. A lot of depth there anyway. Gotta stop now. A little nauseous.

Always concerned when Desko praises the other team to start an interview. I don't think he should start my grandmother at goalie on Friday. She swallowed a lot of rubber today. Too bad she didn't have her stick with her. God awful. And what about 3 of the seven dwarfs on defense. A lot of depth there anyway. Gotta stop now. A little nauseous.

Might as well cancel the season.

Does anyone know why Rehfuss didn’t play today? Was he sick or injured? Definitely not hoping for the latter.

Yale also started official practices yesterday... they are going to be scary good

"I don't know what kind of captain's practices they have."

Excellent question by Desko. Anyone know what kind of captain's practices the Ivies are allowed to have?

I have no idea what any of this means but it makes me uncomfortable.

There were several positives today but some of the weaknesses seen last year persist and that is unlikely to improve without some change or reshuffling. Frustrating

Very encouraged by Varello and Phaup results vs the GOAT

"I don't know what kind of captain's practices they have."

Excellent question by Desko. Anyone know what kind of captain's practices the Ivies are allowed to have?

20140306-001316.jpg

What’s scary is that Yale just started practice and doesn’t have an indoor facility. We’re weeks ahead of them.

"Dordevic should be ready Friday night"
Absolutely fantastic news. Huge! Hard to replace the first step of Dordevic even though we have good middle depth. Any bad feelings about the scrimmage are more than canceled out by this news. Also even if he is not actually ready Friday I doubt he would not be back in time for Albany.

Injury report

Syracuse attack Stephen Rehfuss did not play Saturday but Desko said he will be ready for the opener against visiting Colgate on Friday.

Midfielder Tucker Dordevic also did not play against Yale. He was seen at media availability on Wednesday with a walking boot on his right leg, but Desko said he hopes Dordevic will be good to go in the opener.

Desko said long stick middie Jared Fernandez, whose season last year ended prematurely with a knee injury, could also be ready to go by Friday.

Scoring
Syracuse
Voigt, 3-0; Cook, 1-2; Lipka, 1-2; Solomon, 1-2; Trimboli, 2-1; Quinn, 2-0; Kennedy, 2-0; Curry, 1-1; Aburn, 1-0; J. Kim, 0-1; Carlin, 1-0; Buttermore, 1-0; Nelson, 0-1.

Yale
Gaudet, 4-2; Rooney, 5-0; Morrill, 0-5; Tigh, 2-0; Tevlin, 1-1; Brandau, 2-0; McDermott, 2-0; Daniggelis, 1-0; Cotler, 1-0; Ierlan, 0-1; Zawadzki, 1-0; Duran, 1-0; Sessa, 0-1; Hynes, 0-1; Forst, 0-1; Gharrity, 0-1;

Faceoffs
Syracuse
Varello 12-of-21
Phaup 3-of-11

Yale
Ierlan 14-of-23
Neuman 8-of-16

Saves
Syracuse
Porter, 6
Strang, 1
Klan, 1

Yale
Starr, 10
Crance, 6
Wilson, 3
Leniw, 5

24 saves for Yale and 8 for us. Not sure what to do with that information

Desko mentioned he thought the offense was playing too fast, rushing shots. Wonder if Rehfuss being out had an impact there. Or maybe just falling behind early made the offense think it needed to just get to the goal as quickly as possible to catch up.

Last edited:
I think we have to be pretty encouraged by Varellos numbers against TD. 12-21 vs 14-23.

I think this is bizarre for Desko to say? Why would he think this? He’s the only person in the world who thought this. Dude Yale is REALLY good and a final four lock and I’m sorry but Syracuse is an average team. His seat should be warm.

"I would have thought the game would have gone the other way around,'' said Orange coach John Desko. "I thought maybe we would have got off to a better start and they would have kind of caught up as the day went on”

Last edited:
I thinks we have to be pretty encouraged by Varellos numbers against TD. 12-21 vs 14-23.

I think this is bizarre for Desko to say? Why would he think this? He’s the only person in the world who thought this. Dude Yale is REALLY good and a final four lock and I’m sorry but Syracuse is an average team. His seat should be warm.

"I would have thought the game would have gone the other way around,'' said Orange coach John Desko. "I thought maybe we would have got off to a better start and they would have kind of caught up as the day went on”

Because we've been practicing for 3 weeks, and Yale just started a few days ago.

Because we've been practicing for 3 weeks, and Yale just started a few days ago.

Lol it really doesn’t matter. Yale is on another level talent wise (& coaching wise) and everyone who understands the landscape knows it. Desko’s comment says to me he thought they were going to be better than they showed. They’re not. He’s surprised by it though. I think that’s crazy a few days ago we all said Yale was gonna smash Syracuse.

Bottom line, I think this is a game we should read in to.

Edit-I’ll add there’s some positives to draw from but big warts to overcome. Defensive performance seems to be a major concern. Porter sounded like the only + back there

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom