Scrimmage Feb 2 / Yale | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Scrimmage Feb 2 / Yale

The Syracuse.com article puts things in perspective: 17-6 after three quarters, Cuse 8-1 in fourth (gotta think garbage time for Yale) for 18-14 after four. Yale 3-2 in fifth. Box score reflects the five periods.

We need to pump the brakes on Dordevic’s return. Wasn’t he still in a walking boot as late as Wednesday? Missed the fall, two spring scrimmages and we think he’ll make some sort of return on Friday night? Similar to Fernandez. I doubt it. Are they even practicing? No need to rush.

Desko has the look of someone who realizes there’s a lot of work to do. But, honestly, this team will be a lot like last year.

Last edited:
What it does is add stock to what Ive been told. Score not reflective of play by most. I remain positive

24 saves and 14 goals is 38 shots ON goal. That’ll do nicely any day

I dont want to read to much into a scrimmage against the #1 team but that Syracuse.com article is humbling to say the least. D continues to be a huge concern. That Staats injury really hurts. Dont have all the answers but Desko is going to have his hands full with this ridiculous schedule starting this Friday.

I dont want to read to much into a scrimmage against the #1 team but that Syracuse.com article is humbling to say the least. D continues to be a huge concern. That Staats injury really hurts. Dont have all the answers but Desko is going to have his hands full with this ridiculous schedule starting this Friday.
The two older vets on backline need to get it together fast, like in six days.

The two older vets on backline need to get it together fast, like in six days.
preach.jpg

OUR DEFENSE IS STILL A PROBLEM AND THESE GUYS ARE THIRD YEAR STARTERS, ITS COACHING. Sorry I’ve just been bothered by this for years now. It’s not the players it’s the way they are taught to slide. last two years in general our D slide packages have been terrible. They slide too early when the mans not beat and they give up dunks. They are always watching ball and not man. The second slide doesn’t come fast enough. The SSDM’s haven’t been elite but the biggest problem has been long poles allowing themselves to get switch off their attack. The SSDM’s aren’t gonna do well with the other teams best guy dodging them. I’m basing a good amount on last years film but it’s the same players. And looking at the box score Gaudet destroyed us. That leads me to believe that they slid off him too soon and he finished. I was soooo excited for this season but these scrimmages have scared me.

OUR DEFENSE IS STILL A PROBLEM AND THESE GUYS ARE THIRD YEAR STARTERS, ITS COACHING. Sorry I’ve just been bothered by this for years now. It’s not the players it’s the way they are taught to slide. last two years in general our D slide packages have been terrible. They slide too early when the mans not beat and they give up dunks. They are always watching ball and not man. The second slide doesn’t come fast enough. The SSDM’s haven’t been elite but the biggest problem has been long poles allowing themselves to get switch off their attack. The SSDM’s aren’t gonna do well with the other teams best guy dodging them. I’m basing a good amount on last years film but it’s the same players. And looking at the box score Gaudet destroyed us. That leads me to believe that they slid off him too soon and he finished. I was soooo excited for this season but these scrimmages have scared me.
I agree 100%. This has been the common denominator the past few years. Goalies haven’t been the problem-Molloy, Madonna and now Porter are extremely talented. But when we make unthinkable mistakes offball/consitantly siding for no reason, then we are going to continue to leave our goalies out to dry. Unfortunately I have to think that this is coaching, and Donahue can’t run the offense and defense...

I agree 100%. This has been the common denominator the past few years. Goalies haven’t been the problem-Molloy, Madonna and now Porter are extremely talented. But when we make unthinkable mistakes offball/consitantly siding for no reason, then we are going to continue to leave our goalies out to dry. Unfortunately I have to think that this is coaching, and Donahue can’t run the offense and defense...
I couldn’t agree with you more. It’s strange to me because Rodgers took over before we won back to back championships. I think he has changed the way he coaches I can’t explain it. Coincidentally he’s also our recruiting coordinator.... change may be necessary... Beardsley ?

If we lost any of the next three games, I think there is real cause for concern. If we beat Virginia, then I think none of this matters. That’s the real test. No rehfuss, Dordevic or Fernandez - three huge pieces of the puzzle. I’ll wait to pass judgment until then.

I don't want to get apoplectic over a scrimmage, but there does seem to be real cause for concern. I think Cuselax summed it up best - there is no excuse for the defense to be struggle this much. And I know it was only fall ball, but the highlights posted by Mercer showed some dreadful defense being played against a very inferior opponent. To read Mellen's quotes about motivation and adrenaline being an issue is certainly disheartening. It is only a scrimmage, but it feels like the team needs to be doing a better job of getting their heads in the right place. I don't think you can expect just turn your emotions/motivations on and off like a switch. Is leadership a problem? Again it doesn't seem like they've had a true leader/motivator since Brian Mcgill left and that was a long time ago. Hope to see a different team line up against Colgate on Friday.

Desko seemed pretty sure that Dordevic and Rhefuss would be back against Colgate - imagine they won't run Dordevic full time. Would love to see Fernandez back as well.

Well done Lucas Quinn!

I think you will see poles shooting a lot more with the new rules! You will also see stock rising for LSM that can shoot! Love Kennedy!

Not oblivious to negatives but Sun behind the clouds.

Quinn's talents surfacing was one of my wishes for this scrimmage and they showed.. Skilled kid, built like a bull and has a howitzer.. Has demonstrated good vision and passing skills but was waiting for him to put a few in net . He could become a X factor on second line.

Kennedy also attempted to score on a crease dive from behind ala Joel White. Didn't score but drew a penalty. Our lsm unit a strength.

Voigt scoring three without Refhus and against a top close D unit sticks out. Im likening him to Klay Thompson of Warriors, he does not have to dribble much to score. Moves, finds his spots and scores on catch. Those goals were assisted and as previously mentioned Refhus was absent so nods to passing by others . Cook real.

Varello performance has to inject him and team with confidence. Articles are articles , he walked the talk by holding his own against the best fogo in game.

Gaudet 4-2. Other two starting attackman Rooney with five goals, Morrill with five assists. Cuse obviously out of sync, back to work on Monday to correct.

I think we have to be pretty encouraged by Varellos numbers against TD. 12-21 vs 14-23.

I think this is bizarre for Desko to say? Why would he think this? He’s the only person in the world who thought this. Dude Yale is REALLY good and a final four lock and I’m sorry but Syracuse is an average team. His seat should be warm.

"I would have thought the game would have gone the other way around,'' said Orange coach John Desko. "I thought maybe we would have got off to a better start and they would have kind of caught up as the day went on”
I couldn’t agree with you more. It’s strange to me because Rodgers took over before we won back to back championships. I think he has changed the way he coaches I can’t explain it. Coincidentally he’s also our recruiting coordinator... change may be necessary... Beardsley ?
Rogers

I think back to last year's performances against Albany and Johns Hopkins. SU was not in their league. Those were crushing losses. I do not remember many like that over the last ten years. Completely outclassed. Same players this year as last. Play deteriorated over the course of those games to near defensive panic. The slaughter began almost immediately as if the team was completely unprepared and out classed. Desko's repeated lame defense of SU improved over time signaled his own sense of futility. With encouragement like that ... Dismal prospects this year.

I think back to last year's performances against Albany and Johns Hopkins. SU was not in their league. Those were crushing losses. I do not remember many like that over the last ten years. Completely outclassed. Same players this year as last. Play deteriorated over the course of those games to near defensive panic. The slaughter began almost immediately as if the team was completely unprepared and out classed. Desko's repeated lame defense of SU improved over time signaled his own sense of futility. With encouragement like that ... Dismal prospects this year.

You’re probably still sore about the two games Cuse lost in 2009 before winning the national championship game, aren’t you?

Shay is all business all the time. His team feeds off it. Has always been a good coach and now that he's pulling top end talent he's an elite coach. Would love to see him come home and take over the Orange.

You’re probably still sore about the two games Cuse lost in 2009 before winning the national championship game, aren’t you?

While I think last year definitely was an outlier Sholokov's concern over the defense is definitely warranted. Its been 5 years + now with the ongoing issues with slides and communication on Defense. It seems more of the same this year so far which is very concerning to say the least.

Last edited:
I think everyone like myself is thrilled with how well Varello did against TD on Sat. However, one thing that I think was glossed over was Desko noting we gave several of the wins right back and we had issues again keeping the ball after winning the initial draw. That HAS to be cleaned up.

Well I think last year definitely was an outlier Sholokov's concern over the defense is definitely warranted. Its been 5 years + now with the ongoing issues with slides and communication on Defense. It seems more of the same this year so far which is very concerning to say the least.
Experience touted so communication should be good. College field is larger with offenses spread, requires quick feet and good mobility especially if not in zone. Wish we were opening with Bingy

I think everyone like myself is thrilled with how well Varello did against TD on Sat. However, one thing that I think was glossed over was Desko noting we gave several of the wins right back and we had issues again keeping the ball after winning the initial draw. That HAS to be cleaned up.
. Desko noted Varello's improvement in decision making in Vermont scrimmage but Ierlan speed back into play after any face-off loss creates havoc . Conversely, our wings crashed well on TD which tells me that many of his wins were not as clean as we saw last year in Albany disaster. Improvement always sought but Im thrilled with Varello and Phaup holding their own against the GOAT despite that mention.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom