Scrimmage Feb 2 / Yale | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Scrimmage Feb 2 / Yale

While I think last year definitely was an outlier Sholokov's concern over the defense is definitely warranted. Its been 5 years + now with the ongoing issues with slides and communication on Defense. It seems more of the same this year so far which is very concerning to say the least.

I don’t disagree. Just the tenor of some of Shol’s posts make it seem like Cuse is so bad at everything they should just shutter the program. So I like to have fun with it.

Excuse me for another optimistic take amid the prevailing doom but looking at pics, Lauder auditioning on wing in final scrimmage suggests he may also be mix at dm . I recall an article years ago that he was a young 2 way mid playing fiesty d in National tryouts. Several new candidates competing and good depth is likely shaping up despite the personnel losses.

Desko said Fernandez might be playing this weekend. My fear is that Dordevic and Fernandez are going to rush back into playing and injure themselves even more.

Desko said Fernandez might be playing this weekend. My fear is that Dordevic and Fernandez are going to rush back into playing and injure themselves even more.

I think Desko is giving some old fashion coach speak on one if not both of those guys. Based on what he said earlier in the PC about Fernandez "when we get him back" I doubt he plays Friday. Also Creaserats info has been solid so I suspect he's spot on about Dordevic not being ready to return either. I would be surprised if either played, especially Fernandez.

I think Desko is giving some old fashion coach speak on one if not both of those guys. Based on what he said earlier in the PC about Fernandez "when we get him back" I doubt he plays Friday. Also Creaserats info has been solid so I suspect he's spot on about Dordevic not being ready to return either. I would be surprised if either played, especially Fernandez.

You may be right. The good news is I doubt he would say "should be ready by friday" if they were going to miss big chunks of the season. He can only be so dishonest about the situation. It is still good news that he said that and I think there is a good chance that they are both back in time for Albany.

Think Desko is being straightforward about both being available as they have been practicing but little need to rush either back to heavy usage until fully in stride . Fortunately have top training staff who work hand in hand with staff so decisions are informed. See how game goes and what opportunities are there to ease back

Assume any Dordevic runs likely come on 2nd line with Lipka remaining on first for at least time being. Quinn's showing also lessens any urgency for heavy usage of Dordevic. and it also wouldn't surprised to see 4 of the attackman on field in some shape as Powell previously mentioned given positive comments on both Cook and Seebold. Refhus be back in full.
Kennedy is impactful and Fusco is looking good as well, versatile Helmer and Barlow can pole if needed so expect any Fernandez usage to initially be light .Could see some double poling as changeup though wing play of short sticks has been good. Been mentioned a few times by Desko in pressers but Kennedy could drop low when attack units are strong. Fernandez full return allows that.

Desko seemed pretty confident about Dordevic coming back - I guess the question is how much playing time they give him? First game back he will most certainly have some rust. Agree with ivorytower that I think the safe bet is for Lipka to get most first line runs and let Dordevic ease back slowly.

How they use Kennedy will be very interesting this season. Same question as the attack/midfield question we have with Cook - is it better to have him be consistent, or better to play matchups? Curious to know what those matchups would be for Desko as well. Who is he replacing at close?

Thanks for posting the whole video, hate that SU cuts that off. Interesting that Desko mentioned Seebold getting some extended time but his name was absent from the box score. Not exactly an encouraging sign. Would be interested to know if Carlin played at all as he was absent from the box score as well. As someone noted previously Desko seemed generally surprised about the bad start and how we looked early. Really hope Voigt keeps this up once the season starts, he has really been impressive so far and sounds like a completely different player so far. Varello and Phaup are going to be a real nice 1-2 punch, need both to stay healthy.

Last edited:
How they use Kennedy will be very interesting this season. Same question as the attack/midfield question we have with Cook - is it better to have him be consistent, or better to play matchups? Curious to know what those matchups would be for Desko as well. Who is he replacing at close?
I prefer to see Kennedy operate in space in line with the traditional lsm role marking a midfielder. His disruption can lead to ground balls along the perimeter and start fast breaks. As far as the close, I view Bomberry as a crease defender and think DiPietro should essentially be his backup (would be a waste to see Brett in such a role). Mellen will get the #1 and with Bomberry and Cunningham both being captains I see Desko having a long leash with them (injury withstanding). Bomberry, Cunningham and Fusco were rather pedestrian last season; I hope they change my mind in their final season.

Thanks for posting the whole video, hate that SU cuts that off. Interesting that Desko mentioned Seebold getting some extended time but his name was absent from the box score. Not exactly an encouraging sign. Would be interested to know if Carlin played at all as he was absent from the box score as well.

Carlin played and was in the box score (the latest video montage from the Yale scrimmage on the Cuse lax twitter page shows him scoring with his weak right hand). I can't read too much into the five "quarter" box score; I'm more interested to see how it broke down after 3 quarters when Yale was leading 17-6. Syracuse won the 4th 8-1 which makes me think Yale put their feet up with backups with Cuse more desperate to get something going with starters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom