Scrimmage Recap | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Scrimmage Recap

I think this seems about right.
I mean, there's lots of revisionist fantasy on here, and on all fan boards - but the narrative that Xmas was some offensive force that JB was too ignorant to utilize - that one prolly takes the cake
People are just saying that he finally started to develop an inside game by his junior year. You could see his growing potential and why JB predicted he’d take a big jump as a senior.

People are just saying that he finally started to develop an inside game by his junior year. You could see his growing potential and why JB predicted he’d take a big jump as a senior.
yep, some people are saying that - but plenty of others have clamored (esp during his senior year) about how JB refused to use him all 4 years he was on the Hill

OK and I agree. But I still don't understand your call to play more man2man.
Seems to me the issues you are concerned of would be enhanced in man ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm not calling for more man-to-man. I'm just wondering how we would be able to survive defensively and on the glass if Moyer is getting major minutes at the C position. I don't think the interior weakness would be as glaring or as tough to cover up in man, but I know we aren't going to go that at all, so the point is moot.

I'm not calling for more man-to-man. I'm just wondering how we would be able to survive defensively and on the glass if Moyer is getting major minutes at the C position. I don't think the interior weakness would be as glaring or as tough to cover up in man, but I know we aren't going to go that at all, so the point is moot.

Sibide is an unknown, though looking promising.

Hate to say it, but I have little doubt that Moyer would out rebound Chukwu.

So, if Matt played the five we might be giving up D, but on the other hand we might be better offensively and reboundwise, at least comparing him to PC.

Sibide is an unknown, though looking promising.

Hate to say it, but I have little doubt that Moyer would out rebound Chukwu.

So, if Matt played the five we might be giving up D, but on the other hand we might be better offensively and reboundwise, at least comparing him to PC.
Moyer will work hard I have little doubt. But to have him at the 5 against a good center like Lammers, he'd get killed.

Oh for sure. This is all part of the reason why I am more concerned about the offense than the defense. If we go this route then the guards all have to be attackers and playmakers for themselves or others. They have to be strong with the ball too, obviously. Lots of unknowns. I bet we see lots of Frank/Geno/Battle together at the same time. Maybe with Oshae and Sidibe. You can’t be just swinging the ball around the perimeter.

This may be off topic. SoBe what was the name of that brewery you mentioned was taking off in Sarasota? It’s a citrusty IPA so maybe not too much off topic. Go Orange!

I think Rak flashed better than expected offensive potential as a frosh but he never came close to realizing it until he was a senior when everything seemed to happen all at once. I mean, if we're going by FG percentage, Billy Celuk was at 57.7 in 2000/01 and Jeremy McNeil was at 65%. If we look at PPG, he was around 5-6 ppg both his soph and jr seasons which is less than what Roberson averaged and it wasn't like we were featuring Roberson nor was it that he was a particularly effective offensive player.

Now, there is no question that we didn't feed Rak -- and arguably little question that we would have been better served by at least making the effort to get him a few more touches if for no reason other than to allow him to work on that part of his game. But Rak had trouble putting himself in good spots offensively and often when he had good position he got pushed off of it. There was also the massive issue of foul trouble and playing well enough on both ends to keep himself on the floor (over 100 fouls in ~800 minutes in each of his soph and jr seasons).

Anyway, to say he could have scored more earlier in his career is probably fair, but to say it's mythology that he appeared largely out of nowhere as a go-to guy as a senior is absolutely accurate. Even we love a player's potential (like MCW going into his soph season after an impressive frosh season in limited minutes), to go from ~ 5.8 ppg and 5 rpg to 17.5 ppg and 9 rpg while still sporting a really good shooting percentage (55% in Rak's case) is absolutely insane in terms of the jump in productivity. I think of guys who had huge leaps from one season to the next and I can't really come up with a good comp. Damone Brown was great as a senior but had averaged 10 and 6 as a junior. Rick Jackson stepped up but had been at 10 and 7 as a junior. MCW might be the closest in terms of raw numbers but his lack of numbers as a frosh had more to do with lack of opportunity to get on the court.

you are correct about Rak but there were 3 other major contributing factors to his rise as a senior.

- he finally got to play the 5. most of his time his first 3 years was playing at the 4. 5 was played by the likes of Fab, BMK and DC2

- he didn't have to look over his shoulder for the quick because there was no one for JB to replace him with. the other rotation bigs were DC2 and CMcC.

- the offensive talent on that roster was thin. g was just blossoming, all the cooneys were cooneying and Robe wasn't exactly a scoring machine. if we had wings with O talent, Rak doesn't get the number of looks down low no matter how well he converted

Last edited:
you are correct about Rak but there were 3 other major contributing factors to his rise as a senior.

- he finally got to play the 5. most of his time his first 3 years was playing at the 4. 5 was played by the likes of Fab, BMK and DC2

- he didn't have to look over his shoulder for the quick because there was no one for JB to replace him with. the other rotation bigs were DC2 and CMcC.

- the offensive talent on that roster was thin. g was just blossoming, all the cooneys were cooneying and Robe wasn't exactly a scoring machine. if we had wings with O talent, Rak doesn't get the number of looks down low no matter how well he converted

This is not correct. He played the 5 his sophomore and junior years. As a sophomore and junior, he and Baye split time in the middle at center. Rak didn’t spend too much time at the PF spot.

Last edited:

This is not correct. He played the 5 his sophomore and junior years. As a sophomore and junior, he and Baye split time in the middle at center. Rak didn’t spend too much time at the PF spot.

he definitely played some 5 but when on the floor with any other big he shifted to the wing so he was a 4/5 on the floor. his senior year, because of injuries, he was the only 5 on the floor, was there full time with only Chino on the bench behind him.

I wouldn’t disagree but Rak had opportunities to keep himself on the floor and show more than 5 ppg. I mean if he’s playing decently on offense, well on defense and staying out of foul trouble, he’s not losing him ge minutes to Baye as a junior.

As a soph, DC2 comes in with a big reputation but only plays in 24 of 40 games, 12 mins a game and only puts up 4 ppg on 43% shooting. So again, Ray has every opportunity to win huge minutes.

And so it’s great he snatched the opportunity when it came but to have so many struggles and then to explode into a complete stud still is pretty shocking to me.

Last edited:
Find me a team like this. And like I broke down before a lot of teams that weren't expected to do well weren't awful teams and still had pieces. Not sure this team has those pieces and we have very little experience.

We're in a new situation, so you can't find a team "like this". Does that mean we're gonna win 20+? Who knows. Will we lose 20+? Who knows. But making a definitive statement either way is impossible. Waaaay too many moving parts to this one to have any idea how it's going to turn out.

What we do know is that we have an excellent SG returning and a HOF coach who wins way more often than he loses. That's it. The rest we really have no clue. We could end up with our best 3PT shooting team ever. We truly don't know!

We're in a new situation, so you can't find a team "like this". Does that mean we're gonna win 20+? Who knows. Will we lose 20+? Who knows. But making a definitive statement either way is impossible. Waaaay too many moving parts to this one to have any idea how it's going to turn out.

What we do know is that we have an excellent SG returning and a HOF coach who wins way more often than he loses. That's it. The rest we really have no clue. We could end up with our best 3PT shooting team ever. We truly don't know!

We know this isn't the best 3pt shooting team we've ever had.

The thing is you're able to project things, some are right, some end up being wrong.

We're not losing 20 games, but we're not winning 30 either.

You're pretty much saying there's really no point talking about there team.

We know this isn't the best 3pt shooting team we've ever had.

The thing is you're able to project things, some are right, some end up being wrong.

We're not losing 20 games, but we're not winning 30 either.

You're pretty much saying there's really no point talking about there team.

No I love peeps chatting about it, just saying it's impossible to point to another team or year and say "that's how it's gonna go".

There's just so many what ifs on this team that we might not really know what we have until January-February.

This may be off topic. SoBe what was the name of that brewery you mentioned was taking off in Sarasota? It’s a citrusty IPA so maybe not too much off topic. Go Orange!

Found it. Calusa Brewing. Citronius. Stopped in today. Excellent NEIPA. Nothing like day drinkin’ on a business trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom