Scrimmage Recap | Syracusefan.com

Scrimmage Recap

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
I’m not going to say everyone who was at the scrimmage tonight will agree with what I saw, but I thought I would do recap ofor everyone who could not make it where the Orange team beat white 69-60.

White Team First:

Oshae- had the best scrimmage by far despite losing. He hit 4 or 5 threes, finished at the rim, hit a couple of mid range buckets and defensively he is long and will get his hands on a bunch of passes in the zone. I can’t understand why the scouting services had him ranked so low. He looks like a top 30ish player to me. I think he can have just as big an impact as Tyus had last year or Mal/Lydon the year before. Heck I wouldn’t rule out him being better.

Tyus-Everyone assumes he’s our best player and I am sure he will be, but he struggled a bit tonight, especially with Frank guarding him. He probably finished with around ten points, but if I had to guess he went about 4-15 and struggled both at the rim and from 3. Nothing to be concerned about. It could
mean Frank is better than we thought.

HW-Another kid who I think the scouting services underrated. He’s not going to blow anyone away athletically, but he makes the right play every time and is a good passer. I think he has a lot of shooting potential. His form is consistent and he’s nevergoing to be a guy we would have to worry about making a bad play. I would trust him with the ball in his hands.

Marek- Looks a year away to me. You can see flashes of potential off the dribble, shooting, and on the break, but man is he skinny. I don’t know how much he will be in the rotation this year at that weight. Moyer bullies him a bit in the scrimmage. I think he needs a year to develop his body.

Chukwu-Trying to be nice here, but he looked worse than last year. He still struggles catching the ball, brings it down, and consistently got stripped. On defense I thought he gave away the paint way to easily and Bourama had his way with him. Maybe PC turns it around, but I wouldn’t be the on it. I think he’s the 9th man on this team.

Orange-Thorpe didn’t play

Frank- I’m sure he still will frustrate people as he missed a few bunnies during the scrimmage, but he shot it well both from three and midrange. He also really played hard on defense like he took it personally against Tyus and made a few nice passes to both Moyer and Bourama. I know it’s going to be hard for him to win some fans back, but if he plays like he did tonight he will have a good season.

Moyer-I don’t think it will always be pretty, but this dude plays hard and never gives up. He started out struggling then scored a bunch of points in the middle of the game before he started struggling again on offense at the end. One thing you will never have to worry about with Moyer is a lack of hustle. He went after every rebound and loose ball. He also appears a lot stronger than advertised. I could see him struggling a bit against better athletes, but it won’t be for not trying. His shot has improved, but it’s still a bit flat and could use more refining. I think he fits better at the 4 compared to where you could see Oshae play the 3.

Bourama-He’s a bit raw, but you can see that he oozes potential. I think by next year or the year after we can have a post game again through him that we haven’t had in a few years. He should be able to contribute this year. He plays hard at both ends and is easily better than Pascal. I hope JB starts him at center because I think he will help us there at both ends of the court.

Hughes-Athletic kid who can shoot and looks like he has potential in the zone, but he needs to work on his handle a bit in order to be a playmaker in our system. I think he could be a great shooter for us down the line, but I don’t know if that will be at the 2 or 3. Right now I think he’s a 3.

It should also be noted that walking Braedon Bayer playing for Thorpe hit 3 or 4 3’s for Orange and reminded me of one of those kids Pitino always used to have sitting on his bench at Louisville.

To summarize, I think we have enough to be a sold team, but not all these guys will be in the rotation by the time ACC starts.

If I had to guess I would say the rotation gets down to 6.5 with:

Battle
Thorpe
Oshae
Moyer
Bourama
Frank

Then you play Marek or Howard W. based on the situation. I just can’t see Pascal helping us after what I saw tonight.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. So I am curious what other "events" were there besides the scrimmage that made it so difficult for them to stream it.

Great recap and in all honesty about where we expected. If we can have a strong first 7.. at least we have a chance. I hope Marek grows up this year vs taking a whole year so we at least have one guy with size off the bench who isn't a liability.

I don't feel very warm and fuzzy about this and seems to be what I expected.

Hoping for the best this year but I really think the year after this one is going to be amazing.

Oshae and Bazley together would be amazing.

I don’t think we will be as bad as I first thought. Battle may have to play some 3 though for us to get enough offense on the court.

I’m not going to say everyone who was at the scrimmage tonight will agree with what I saw, but I thought I would do recap ofor everyone who could not make it where the Orange team beat white 69-60.

White Team First:

Oshae- had the best scrimmage by far despite losing. He hit 4 or 5 threes, finished at the rim, hit a couple of mid range buckets and defensively he is long and will get his hands on a bunch of passes in the zone. I can’t understand why the scouting services had him ranked so low. He looks like a top 30ish player to me. I think he can have just as big an impact as Tyus had last year or Mal/Lydon the year before. Heck I wouldn’t rule out him being better.

Tyus-Everyone assumes he’s our best player and I am sure he will be, but he struggled a bit tonight, especially with Frank guarding him. He probably finished with around ten points, but if I had to guess he went about 4-15 and struggled both at the rim and from 3. Nothing to be concerned about. It could
mean Frank is better than we thought.

HW-Another kid who I think the scouting services underrated. He’s not going to blow anyone away athletically, but he makes the right play every time and is a good passer. I think he has a lot of shooting potential. His form is consistent and he’s nevergoing to be a guy we would have to worry about making a bad play. I would trust him with the ball in his hands.

Marek- Looks a year away to me. You can see flashes of potential off the dribble, shooting, and on the break, but man is he skinny. I don’t know how much he will be in the rotation this year at that weight. Moyer bullies him a bit in the scrimmage. I think he needs a year to develop his body.

Chukwu-Trying to be nice here, but he looked worse than last year. He still struggles catching the ball, brings it down, and consistently got stripped. On defense I thought he gave away the paint way to easily and Bourama had his way with him. Maybe PC turns it around, but I wouldn’t be the on it. I think he’s the 9th man on this team.

Orange-Thorpe didn’t play

Frank- I’m sure he still will frustrate people as he missed a few bunnies during the scrimmage, but he shot it well both from three and midrange. He also really played hard on defense like he took it personally against Tyus and made a few nice passes to both Moyer and Bourama. I know it’s going to be hard for him to win some fans back, but if he plays like he did tonight he will have a good season.

Moyer-I don’t think it will always be pretty, but this dude plays hard and never gives up. He started out struggling then scored a bunch of points in the middle of the game before he started struggling again on offense at the end. One thing you will never have to worry about with Moyer is a lack of hustle. He went after every rebound and loose ball. He also appears a lot stronger than advertised. I could see him struggling a bit against better athletes, but it won’t be for not trying. His shot has improved, but it’s still a bit flat and could use more refining. I think he fits better at the 4 compared to where you could see Oshae play the 3.

Bourama-He’s a bit raw, but you can see that he oozes potential. I think by next year or the year after we can have a post game again through him that we haven’t had in a few years. He should be able to contribute this year. He plays hard at both ends and is easily better than Pascal. I hope JB starts him at center because I think he will help us there at both ends of the court.

Hughes-Athletic kid who can shoot and looks like he has potential in the zone, but he needs to work on his handle a bit in order to be a playmaker in our system. I think he could be a great shooter for us down the line, but I don’t know if that will be at the 2 or 3. Right now I think he’s a 3.

It should also be noted that walking Braedon Bayer playing for Thorpe hit 3 or 4 3’s for Orange and reminded me of one of those kids Pitino always used to have sitting on his bench at Louisville.

To summarize, I think we have enough to be a sold team, but not all these guys will be in the rotation by the time ACC starts.

If I had to guess I would say the rotation gets down to 6.5 with:

Battle
Thorpe
Oshae
Moyer
Bourama
Frank

Then you play Marek or Howard W. based on the situation. I just can’t see Pascal helping us after what I saw tonight.

With Oshae one part of the rankings piece is that only 247 includes kids who don't play in the US so that does help partly explain. Really excited to hear how good he looked.

So with Moyers size and wingspan could he man the middle in spot duty if needed?

yep. and it sounds like JB is willing to do this. just worry about what happens to that lineup in the interior defensively and on the glass
We suck at that every year. At least with Battle at the 3 we have some offense. I think we really need a good year from FH as much as it pains me and scares me. No matter how you slice it we need to be good on defense because isn't going to be able to score consistently. The positive is if FH is good on defense I think we could be good on that end. Thorpe, Battle, Sidibe, Moyer and OB are all going to be solid in my opinion.

I'm looking at this year like it was an exhibition season. If we can go 9-9 in the ACC, I will be very happy. Next year is the year.

I'm thinking right around there because the schedule does seem to be kind to us this year.

I'm looking at this year like it was an exhibition season. If we can go 9-9 in the ACC, I will be very happy. Next year is the year.
Pretty crazy to think that, excluding Chukwu who was redshirting, Frank Howard is the only player still here from the 2016 Final Four run.

Guys, I was not encouraged, nor was Gary. I saw three strong players, Oshae, Battle, Howard. Oshae was a very pleasant surprise. Moyer was okay. Chukwu was just god awful, poor kid. And he had to sit a lot, and then come back in. Hughes had a lot of moxy during warm ups and had some good slams. Seemed more tentative during play but I like him. I think Bourama should start at center. He showed promise. The walk on Bayer was GOOD and looked confident. Maybe Boeheim will play him? Maybe????

I think we can only go up. I am glad they got this scrimmage over to perhaps shake out the jitters. Boeheim said it was their first time in the Dome.

The crowd was sparse. There was more energy after the first ten minute period, both on court and in stands. The student announcers could have made the game MUCH better. Sometimes they didn't even say who made a bucket. There are understandably low expectations for this team. I think that is one of the reasons this was such an understated affair. If we had a top twenty team coming in, I bet the old Orange Madness would return.

Worried.

Sorry.

Pretty crazy to think that, excluding Chukwu who was redshirting, Frank Howard is the only player still here from the 2016 Final Four run.
Our schedule is softer this year. Our home and home crossovers are fairly good for us.

Guys, I was not encouraged, nor was Gary. I saw three strong players, Oshae, Battle, Howard. Oshae was a very pleasant surprise. Moyer was okay. Chukwu was just god awful, poor kid. And he had to sit a lot, and then come back in. Hughes had a lot of moxy during warm ups and had some good slams. Seemed more tentative during play but I like him. I think Bourama should start at center. He showed promise. The walk on Bayer was GOOD and looked confident. Maybe Boeheim will play him? Maybe????

I think we can only go up. I am glad they got this scrimmage over to perhaps shake out the jitters. Boeheim said it was their first time in the Dome.

The crowd was sparse. There was more energy after the first ten minute period, both on court and in stands. The student announcers could have made the game MUCH better. Sometimes they didn't even say who made a bucket. There are understandably low expectations for this team. I think that is one of the reasons this was such an understated affair. If we had a top twenty team coming in, I bet the old Orange Madness would return.

Worried.

Sorry.
Thorpe didn't play. With him, battle, Oshae and Howard, that is 5 players. Bourama is only going to get better. But the big thing is that we probably won't be all that good this year. Get experience and get ready for next year.

barring any serious injuries, i think a 20 win regular season, top half of the conference is in the cards
agree 2018-19 is shaping up as a big year . . . again barring injuries

Thanks for sharing!

Question...what’s your opinion of the team speed out there? Hard to tell I guess in this scrimmage format I suppose. I’m worried about lack of footspeed at the guard position. Yeah, there is some length and all that but they need to move their feet at both ends.

Very encouraging about Bourama. I’ve been pretty high on him. No surprise to me re: Chukwu.

Any player comparison for Oshae? Could be anybody anywhere. Thanks again.

Not much defense in that video.

If anybody's worried after what they saw they should just relax

I saw a lot of guys who could shoot,handle

guys would pass rebound and play defense
I'm encouraged
when we go small - which i expect we'll see a lot of - (battle at the 3, brissett at the 4, boo in the middle) it'll look like a classic villanova squad: 4 guys who can handle & shoot with one true big holding down the inside

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom