SEC Asks ESPN for Help with Attendance | Syracusefan.com

SEC Asks ESPN for Help with Attendance

Wow.

At an average attendance of 5,098, Texas A&M Would need roughly 7 home games to equal our Duke crowd.

This is a double edged sword... and after I explain, I'll throw in a caveat - so please read the whole thing.

The SEC doesnt care about basketball. With the exception of Kentucky and quasi Florida/Vandy, THe schools ONLY care about football. And they unquestionably kick everyone's a$$ at it. Almost to the point of embarrassment.

Now... During the Snowmageddon - Atlantans were upset at all the Northern trash talking and a radio host started a movement to determine what the south was better at (please dont turn this into a debate) and a lot of them stated college football... The same goes for that, in the NE everyone follows pro football over college football in the exact same way that in the SE everyone follows college football instead of college basketball.

Now, I have no idea if the OP was trying to mock the SEC... but you cant - because its basically their choice not to support it. And the same can be said for college football in the ACC.

Now, I have no idea if the OP was trying to mock the SEC... but you cant - because its basically their choice not to support it. And the same can be said for college football in the ACC.

A good majority of the ACC doesn't support basketball either. I have been surprised with the amount of half filled venues for both football and basketball.

As for the SEC they admittedly don't give a about basketball so it's really no surprise.

Maybe the SEC should emphasize improving the quality of their basketball teams outside of UK and Florida. I suppose it's easier to ask ESPN to take way all the ACC games with 7 pm week night start times and give those to the SEC games or maybe just eliminate all ACC TV games. Maybe the SEC should try marketing basketball better...lower ticket prices usually increases sales...or tie packages of football tickets with basketball.

Maybe the SEC should emphasize improving the quality of their basketball teams outside of UK and Florida. I suppose it's easier to ask ESPN to take way all the ACC games with 7 pm week night start times and give those to the SEC games or maybe just eliminate all ACC TV games. Maybe the SEC should try marketing basketball better...lower ticket prices usually increases sales...or tie packages of football tickets with basketball.

I think the problem with the SEC is the big donors gobble up all of the tickets, but then never go to the games unless it's a big one.

should syracuse tie football tickets into duke bball packages?

should syracuse tie football tickets into duke bball packages?
No way. Completely separated IMO. I'm one of those "basketball only" fans and proud of it. I went to the SU Pitt football game this season and was so bored I left at halftime.

No way. Completely separated IMO. I'm one of those "basketball only" fans and proud of it. I went to the SU Pitt football game this season and was so bored I left at halftime.

And everyone in the south is just as proud as being "football only" fans

why are you 'proud' of it?
I love all SU sports but im a football first guy and basketball is a close second. Nothing wrong with favoring one or the other. My wife hates going to football games but loves basketball games. She still roots for for the football team to do well she just cant stand to watch football for 4 to 5 hours.

This is a double edged sword... and after I explain, I'll throw in a caveat - so please read the whole thing.

The SEC doesnt care about basketball. With the exception of Kentucky and quasi Florida/Vandy, THe schools ONLY care about football. And they unquestionably kick everyone's a$$ at it. Almost to the point of embarrassment.

Now... During the Snowmageddon - Atlantans were upset at all the Northern trash talking and a radio host started a movement to determine what the south was better at (please dont turn this into a debate) and a lot of them stated college football... The same goes for that, in the NE everyone follows pro football over college football in the exact same way that in the SE everyone follows college football instead of college basketball.

You can absolutely mock the SEC for this. How much grief would SEC fans give to any other conference if it asked ESPN to give them preferential treatment in an attempt to increase football attendance? SEC fans feel entitled because they dominate in football. Living in Knoxville, it's comical how many people consider UT's basketball program to be as good as anyone's but the absolute elites, even though they've made exactly one elite 8. They are completely clueless about where they are (or at least were with Bruce Pearl) on the basketball food chain. If they wanna dish it out regarding football, they're gonna have to take it regarding basketball.

I love all SU sports but im a football first guy and basketball is a close second. Nothing wrong with favoring one or the other. My wife hates going to football games but loves basketball games. She still roots for for the football team to do well she just cant stand to watch football for 4 to 5 hours.
I get that, but why be 'proud' of not supporting our football team? That's my complaint.

I get that, but why be 'proud' of not supporting our football team? That's my complaint.
I agree with you there. I really good football team only helps the basketball program and vice versa.

You can absolutely mock the SEC for this. How much grief would SEC fans give to any other conference if it asked ESPN to give them preferential treatment in an attempt to increase football attendance? SEC fans feel entitled because they dominate in football. Living in Knoxville, it's comical how many people consider UT's basketball program to be as good as anyone's but the absolute elites, even though they've made exactly one elite 8. They are completely clueless about where they are (or at least were with Bruce Pearl) on the basketball food chain. If they wanna dish it out regarding football, they're gonna have to take it regarding basketball.

thats why its a double edged sword...

however, college football is clearly king. And they dont make an effort to try to be basketball schools. While everyone makes an effort to be a football school.

It's not like I'm sabotaging the football team. I just don't give a crap about them. They'll never become a top 25 program. I'm proud that I don't care for SU football the same way I'm proud I don't care for the South Korean national ping pong team. It has no effect on me.

It's not like I'm sabotaging the football team. I just don't give a crap about them. They'll never become a top 25 program. I'm proud that I don't care for SU football the same way I'm proud I don't care for the South Korean national ping pong team. It has no effect on me.

I'm buying you a ticket and some tailgating beers when we break back into the top 25.

They'll never become a top 25 program?

Are you 18? the late 80's through 2001 was very good on a national level.

I'm buying you a ticket and some tailgating beers when we break back into the top 25.

Make sure you have the money handy... because you're going to be paying up within the next 18 months.