SEC Asks ESPN for Help with Attendance | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SEC Asks ESPN for Help with Attendance

It'll be on October 3rd to be precise. Will be a good chance to check out the new Basketball championship banner as well unless they wait until next season to hang it.

If it comes too soon and you find yourself short a few bucks, I will be glad to donate to that wonderful cause.

Maybe we can start a fund to see how many beers we can buy EastCoast2. Maybe if we get up to 1,000 beers we'll get picked up by national outlets too.

It's not like I'm sabotaging the football team. I just don't give a crap about them. They'll never become a top 25 program. I'm proud that I don't care for SU football the same way I'm proud I don't care for the South Korean national ping pong team. It has no effect on me.
Great, don't jump on the bandwagon when we're nationally ranked after beating Notre Dame next season.

I really feel for the Arkansas fans. I went to Fayetteville last season to watch our game, and that place was LOUD and PROUD. The Hog fans LOVE their hoops, probably more than their football sometimes. That is a school that deserves a perennial top 25 hoops team. They put most other SEC schools to shame when it comes to fan support of hoops. That's a school that is probably a better fit in the ACC than SEC.

Without Billy Donovan's two title runs, Florida fans wouldn't give a crap about their hoops team. UK is a basketball school that pretends to be a football school just to fit in. Vandy is Vandy. None of the other schools have ever been able to sustain a top notch hoops program...aside from Pat Summit's Lady Vols. They have short spurts where they make some noise, but then it's done.

Basketball is an after thought in SEC country, and pretty much always has been. The past twenty years have arguably been the best 20 years the SEC has had in hoops outside of Adolph Rupp. Three schools won six titles since 1993, yet the fans pretty much stay away. Again, imagine if Florida hadn't won theirs? It would simply be UK and a blip by Arkansas.

The ACC can only get better because it's much easier to get people excited about football and bring fans in. ACC attendance can only get better in that regard. BBall just got a HUGE shot in the arm with SU, ND and Pitt, and with Louisville coming in next season everyone's schedules will have big draw games to build excitement and get butts in the seats.

Only UK draws in the SEC, and nothing will change that. As far as all around product is concerned, the ACC schools look to be > the SEC schools going forward. Not saying the SEC still won't dominate in most things football. That would be stupid. But the ACC has far more room, and ability, to grow their product.

It's not like I'm sabotaging the football team. I just don't give a crap about them. They'll never become a top 25 program. I'm proud that I don't care for SU football the same way I'm proud I don't care for the South Korean national ping pong team. It has no effect on me.

This may actually be one of the most frustrating and annoying posts I have ever read on syracusefan.com ...and I go way back.
I cannot comprehend this type of 'rooting' interest in anything related to SU. It is entirely alien to me.

this dude is a Michigan fan. no soul.

EastCoast2 said:
No way. Completely separated IMO. I'm one of those "basketball only" fans and proud of it. I went to the SU Pitt football game this season and was so bored I left at halftime.

I don't get bored by football but the violence leading to a large percentage of players suffering brain injuries is too much for me to stomach anymore. I skipped the Super Bowl. I guess the real test will be next season if I don't watch the Giants, Jets and SU.

Slug

Football fans travel to home games. Not practical for basketball. Lots of SEC schools are pretty remote

Little did we know when they made this statement it was to fictionally bump up the attendance numbers.

Sometimes I wonder, is this a chicken and the egg type of thing? What if the SEC was actually good at basketball other than Kentucky, Florida and Arkansas? Would they have more of a following or is it an excuse...well we don't care about hoop so we don't go. Well, a huge majority of the schools there are not good so maybe that's the reason instead.

Little did we know when they made this statement it was to fictionally bump up the attendance numbers.

Sometimes I wonder, is this a chicken and the egg type of thing? What if the SEC was actually good at basketball other than Kentucky, Florida and Arkansas? Would they have more of a following or is it an excuse...well we don't care about hoop so we don't go. Well, a huge majority of the schools there are not good so maybe that's the reason instead.
This is far from scientific, but since Bruce Pearl was fired from Tennessee they haven't made the tournament and their attendance has plummeted. They're fair weather about basketball the way our fans are fair weather about football.

No way. Completely separated IMO. I'm one of those "basketball only" fans and proud of it. I went to the SU Pitt football game this season and was so bored I left at halftime.
You are definitely softnosed

Football may rule the roost,but the SEC needs to expand with basketball first in mind. If they don't they will never get their attendance up. Other than Kentucky and Florida the basketball in that conference has been pathetic. Silve in my opinion has dropped the ball in this case.

Missouri and Vanderbilt are usually pretty good teams. Mississippi State has generally been a tourney team the past 10 or so years. LSU has been to three final fours in the time that Boeheim's been coaching (up until last year, they had been more recently than SU). Obviously the ACC has been better, but it's not like the SEC is the SWAC or anything - they are a top six basketball conference each year.

Missouri and Vanderbilt are usually pretty good teams. Mississippi State has generally been a tourney team the past 10 or so years. LSU has been to three final fours in the time that Boeheim's been coaching (up until last year, they had been more recently than SU). Obviously the ACC has been better, but it's not like the SEC is the SWAC or anything - they are a top six basketball conference each year.

Solid teams Quaz but still, nothing to write home about. LSU was there because of Shak.

Double post. Go Cuse!