SEC = garbage conference | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SEC = garbage conference

Somebody should do a study demonstrating that the NET doesn't correlate very well to good basketball.

Far too many ridiculous rankings for it to be so important to an organization as big as the NCAA.

Unless, of course, the NET isn't about getting the best teams in, but making sure certain conferences get more teams into the tournament?

I'm not usually a big tin hat guy, but the NET being a complete black box and heavily favoring the conferences of the NCAA football mafia definitely gets me thinking.

SEC was surprisingly not gaming compared to the B12 or others... they played less Q4 games. I dug into 4 conferences in detail (the intention was to do 7, but I stopped at the other 3), where the SEC played a markedly harder OOC than the B12, the MWC, and the ACC... especially the B12.

My conclusions were:

1) The B12 has probably gamed things. They managed to really do well in Q4 games margin wise, and schedules more than others. They didn't dominate "quality" games like they did in 2023. The fact they did so well vs the spread in Q4 games, suggests they are playing particularly hard. waiting longer to sub -- but that is just a theory.

2) The MWC is one of the top 7 conferences in terms of record, but they are more comparable to the #5-7 in terms of pure W/L performance. But they got a healthy % of seeds. It seems they get some "Push" in NET as a conference because they play more road games in OOC, and NET has a road boost. They get rewarded for what they basically have to do.

3) The ACC struggled because they didn't play as well as the other two (SEC and B12) in Q1 games and Q3 games. This hurt their NET. They only played 30% of their OOC in quality games, unlike the SEC who played 40%.

4) In OOC SEC did the best in Q1+Q2 amongst all the conferences in terms of win vs losses.

But March is a different beast, and its one and done. Like seeing them lose.

Last edited:
SEC was surprisingly not gaming compared to the B12 or others... they played less Q4 games. I dug into 4 conferences in detail (the intention was to do 7, but I stopped at the other 3), where the SEC played a markedly harder OOC than the B12, the MWC, and the ACC.

My conclusions were:

1) The B12 has probably gamed things. They managed to really do well in Q4 games margin wise, and schedules more than others. They didn't dominate "quality" games like they did in 2023. The fact they did so well vs the spread in Q4 games, suggests they are playing particularly hard. waiting longer to sub -- but that is just a theory.

2) The MWC is one of the top 7 conferences in terms of record, but they are more comparable to the #5-7 in terms of performance. It seems they get some "Push" in NET as a conference because they play more road games in OOC, and NET has a road boost.

3) The ACC struggled because they didn't play as well as the other two (SEC and B12) in Q1 games and Q3 games. This hurt their NET.

4) In OOC SEC did the best in Q1+Q2 amongst all the conferences in terms of win vs losses.

But March is a different beast, and its one and done. Like seeing them lose.
If they are giving OOC this much weight they really need to consider bringing back late season out of conference games. Some teams peak early, others don’t.

I think judging conferences based on the small data set that is March Madness is stupid except when I like the narrative it creates and I hate Greg Sankey and the SEC so have to say I am all for it here

I think judging conferences based on the small data set that is March Madness is stupid except when I like the narrative it creates and I hate Greg Sankey and the SEC so have to say I am all for it here
I think your post is stupid. Except when I don't particularly care, because the SEC is getting embarrassed in this year's NCAA tournament, and I'm enjoying reveling in their piss poor performance. So carpediem.

The year Auburn went to the FF under Pearl they should have lost in the first round to NMSU, too. Total luckbox winning that game.

They didn't rig like others... so if it wasn't SEC in front of their jerseys I might actually respect them.
I like to see them lose as much as others... but facts should still be stated.

The fact is they played a markedly harder OOC than the ACC (and especially the B12) and played better in OOC.

They were certainly not gaming with Q4's like other conferences (B12)... somewhat surprisingly.

Well they certainly didn’t okay to their NET rankings. And note Djcon’s post about Auburns Net. They figured out something.

We are agreeing with each other, right?

Live look-in @ upstate & RF -

Best Friends Friend GIF by PermissionIO

If they are giving OOC this much weight they really need to consider bringing back late season out of conference games. Some teams peak early, others don’t.
And late season OOC games are just fun. It breaks the monotony of conference play.

Lefty Driesell on Adolph Rupp's then-record number of wins - "I'd have that many wins, too, if I coached in the SEC."

I'm not gonna to tap dance on SEC yet

Bama and Tennessee can still do damage

Also ironic how awful Auburn and UVA have been in the tournament other than the one year they met in the final.

the NET wAAAAY overvalues nov and december basketball

and locks in those assessments into everything it does

FATAL FLAW
There's got to be some sort of skynet AI rating system that evolves throughout the season to get a better picture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom