SEC MEDIA DAY: Spurrier Says Notre Dame Should Play FB in ACC | Syracusefan.com

SEC MEDIA DAY: Spurrier Says Notre Dame Should Play FB in ACC

arbitragegls

All Conference
"Spurrier then turned his attention to another topic that felt out of left field at SEC media days in Hoover, Ala. The often gregarious coach brought Notre Dame into the mix, wondering aloud why the Fighting Irish are allowed to operate as an individual entity while most schools are part of a larger conference. Notre Dame became a partial ACC member this month, yet its football team won't begin its limited five-games-per-year deal with the conference until 2014.
"We're trying to figure out why the athletic director of Notre Dame is equal to all of the conference commissioners, and no one had a good answer except that's the way it's always been done," Spurrier said.
"All 14 of our head coaches thought that Notre Dame should join the ACC to play football like all the rest of us," he said. "Notre Damers can get mad at me and us coaches for saying that … but from the rest of us that are in conferences, we say, 'Why aren't they in a conference?' It's hard to figure out why."

SO WHAT DO Y'all think...I am actually in the South Carolina Coach's camp on this...Notre Dame should lose its exception...be just like a college team not a conference in and of itself...the drums are beating.
It's Good to be Cuse!

Spurrier then turned his attention to another topic that felt out of left field at SEC media days in Hoover, Ala. The often gregarious coach brought Notre Dame into the mix, wondering aloud why the Fighting Irish are allowed to operate as an individual entity while most schools are part of a larger conference. Notre Dame became a partial ACC member this month, yet its football team won't begin its limited five-games-per-year deal with the conference until 2014.
"We're trying to figure out why the athletic director of Notre Dame is equal to all of the conference commissioners, and no one had a good answer except that's the way it's always been done," Spurrier said.
"All 14 of our head coaches thought that Notre Dame should join the ACC to play football like all the rest of us," he said. "Notre Damers can get mad at me and us coaches for saying that … but from the rest of us that are in conferences, we say, 'Why aren't they in a conference?' It's hard to figure out why."

I agree...ND has the right to be independent...however, they should not have the same priveleges/power as a conference commissioner. They should play by the same rules as independents...or since most of their sports will be ACC, they should be represented by the ACC...they should not be able to represent themselves at the NCAA level, the same level as conferences. Problem is the NCAA enables ND by allowing them this privelege...

The problem is, they have the weight behind them to pull this off. Eyeballs = $$$$. I agree, they should not have equal power, but when has the NCAA ever done anything that could jeopardize its income flow?

Problem is the NCAA enables ND by allowing them this privelege...
And by "the NCAA" you mean ND's peers. "Some schools are just more equal than others." - George Orwell.

At some point the rest of the Power 5 schools will have had enough. It wont be an ACC member institution that starts the ball rolling (I suspect the other 14 ACC schools will abstain from the vote initially). Until then, ND's going to take full advantage of its current position.

"Spurrier then turned his attention to another topic that felt out of left field at SEC media days in Hoover, Ala. The often gregarious coach brought Notre Dame into the mix, wondering aloud why the Fighting Irish are allowed to operate as an individual entity while most schools are part of a larger conference. Notre Dame became a partial ACC member this month, yet its football team won't begin its limited five-games-per-year deal with the conference until 2014.

SO WHAT DO Y'all think...I am actually in the South Carolina Coach's camp on this...Notre Dame should lose its exception...be just like a college team not a conference in and of itself...the drums are beating.
It's Good to be Cuse!
They will be a full football member soon. With the playoff coming about, they will have to join.

They will be a full football member soon. With the playoff coming about, they will have to join.
The logical windows of opportunity for that to happen are in 1-, 7- and 13- years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom