Selection committee chair comments | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Selection committee chair comments

I'd add that there is a decent chance that JB has spent the last month essentially focusing on how to beat UNC. Winning this game would probably mean much more to him than a typical game .

Not saying that puts us over the top, but if you give JB a month to focus on any one opponent, I'd take my chances.

excellent point!

We are facing Roy Williams. Anything is possible when he coaches against a zone.

I guess, but it took a game where Cooney had 28 and Rak had 22 and 12 last year to beat them. Rak ain't walking through the Dome doors this weekend.

Just because one guy says that in early January, doesn't mean he and the rest of the committee will feel the same in March.

I guess, but it took a game where Cooney had 28 and Rak had 22 and 12 last year to beat them. Rak ain't walking through the Dome doors this weekend.

I hear you. I think the "best" gameplan is to pack in the zone, hedge out on Paige and just let everyone else shoot. That's how we beat them two years ago.

If someone like Justin Jackson or Joel Berry want to shoot threes, let them.

I wouldn't hold my breath on the NCAA committee doing us any favors. Talk is cheap.

Bingo, if anyone thinks there actually going to disregard the nine games if SU is on the bubble your insane. The next favor the NCAA does for SU when it comes to the tourney will be the first.

realorange said:
Remember these folks are university types and not the addle brained NCAA admins.

Yep just like most of the committees like infractions, appeals, rules etc. Made up of university people.

Bingo, if anyone thinks there actually going to disregard the nine games if SU is on the bubble your insane. The next favor the NCAA does for SU when it comes to the tourney will be the first.

Right. The full quote is actually, "Now we will have the chance to see how the team performs with the return of its head coach, and by the end of the season we'll have an idea of what sort of impact the suspension possibly had... and we will allow them in the NCAA Tournament as long as they win the ACC Tournament."

/s

Ozcuse said:
Throwing out the Hopkins games like they didn't happen is good for Syracuse's tournament hopes (if we win going forward) but not a good sign for Mike Hopkins. Same game plan, same players, same scheme but Hopkins coached games don't count? That's a lack of respect I've ever seen one.

That's not a lack of respect, it's a factor in their thinking when you don't have the HC just like when a key player misses several games due to injury. It has nothing to do with any lack of respect for Hop.

It is interesting in the fact that when a player gets hurt, that's not his or the team's fault. I'm not complaining but how can you suspend a coach for alleged wrongdoing and then say the suspension will not really count when it comes to evaluating the team for the NCAA's?

realorange said:
Remember these folks are university types and not the addle brained NCAA admins.

They've had no problem shafting us in the past.

One thing for sure, if we beat NC on Saturday Roy's tears will be on Jim Boeheim court.

We are 10-6 with 15 games left.

If we go 9-6 the rest of the way we will be 19-12 (9-9 conference)..but we will be 15-7 (9-6) with JB. I do think it has to be a strong consideration for the NCAA

If we go 9-6 the rest of the way we will be 19-12 (9-9 conference)..but we will be 15-7 (9-6) with JB. I do think it has to be a strong consideration for the NCAA

Might have a must win or two in DC? This year if that happens.

It is interesting in the fact that when a player gets hurt, that's not his or the team's fault. I'm not complaining but how can you suspend a coach for alleged wrongdoing and then say the suspension will not really count when it comes to evaluating the team for the NCAA's?
Because he will be coaching the team in March, and you have to evaluate the teams based on that. It doesn't matter the reason he was gone...if OU suspended Buddy Hield for 5 games and OU went 0-5, but he came back and they kept winning, would you factor his absence into the seeding? Or would you say "well, it's his fault he got suspended so let's screw a whole region by ridiculously underseeding Oklahoma."

Because entry into the NCAA tournament is not a moral evaluation, it is a question of the quality of team that will be playing there.

Pretty much says they'll throw out losses under Hopkins. It's interesting to consider in case we somehow manage to get 2-3 big wins the rest of the way (not holding my breath at all).

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...l?hootPostID=3162275dfc30f3f73a1123f424d6a4fb

That is not at all what they said. Not even close.

They said it would be a consideration...hardly means they wipe off the 9 game slate. That is a massive difference between the 2. It might be something to break the deadlock if we were on the bubble (that would be the consideration). But it is not something that they would take the results of a team that's resume is not even on the bubble, and all of a sudden add it to the tournament.

They can also decide that it is too hard to determine if there was an impact, which is the common bailout they do for an injury. It doesn't mean they didn't consider it, it was just too hard to consider.

The committee also says it considers injuries. But it has never made any massive adjustments for it. It has never taken a team that had a resume not even close to the NCAA tourney, and put it in because someone is injured. But it always said it would consider it.

They can also decide that it is too hard to determine if there was an impact, which is the common bailout they do for an injury. It doesn't mean they didn't consider it, it was just too hard to consider.

Last edited:
Just because one guy says that in early January, doesn't mean he and the rest of the committee will feel the same in March.

Bingo -- they are just considering it. They have to say they are considering it, otherwise they would be outwardly prejudicing themselves.

They have always taken the safe route, i.e. "We considered, but it was hard to evaluate if it made a material difference because there are so many other factors at play. We decided to let the results stand for themselves". Let's also remember that the team lost to Wisconsin at home right before the string started.

If JB gets us into the last 4 out based on our resume alone (including Hopkins games), yes they would probably use that factor to push us in. But if we were to have 2 losses top many (which is massive when it comes to the bubble) I can't see them ignoring that.

You have chosen a good numerical example I believe. 9-9 is what I have estimated as the maybe in / maybe out number. I could see the JB factor coming in our favour if we finished at 9-6... the factor that is used to separate a bunch of teams with some sores on them.

But say we went 8-7 the rest of the way -- if you ignored all Hopkins stuff totally -- then it is a tounrey resume because of the OOC wins. But I don't think they would ignore those games because we are just not close enough to the last teams out to warrant such an exclusion.

Throwing out the Hopkins games like they didn't happen is good for Syracuse's tournament hopes (if we win going forward) but not a good sign for Mike Hopkins.

Same game plan, same players, same scheme but Hopkins coached games don't count? That's a lack of respect I've ever seen one.
The NCAA announced those terms before JB left.

Yep just like most of the committees like infractions, appeals, rules etc. Made up of university people.
Bees, I've got to believe that Emmert and the rest of the office had more than passing interest in the penalties handed down.

The NCAA announced those terms before JB left.

Not quite.

In December the NCAA VP of Men's Basketball Championships (that's a real job title?) Dan Gavitt said the reason for Boeheim's unavailability will be considered without prejudice.

Yesterday, the Chair of the Men's NCAA Basketball Committee Joe Castiglione said that the committee would take Jim Boeheim's nine game absence into account when considering Syracuse for an at large bid.

realorange said:
Bees, I've got to believe that Emmert and the rest of the office had more than passing interest in the penalties handed down.

There's no way for me to know what kind of influence Emmert or anyone has. I just know the people that make up the infractions and what their responsibilities are. They are university president and chancellor and AD types and their job is to set the penalties. I've posted that before with the names. Now does Emmert go to them and tell people of that stature that he wants them to hammer team ABC with these penalties? I don't know but I would think people like them wouldn't take kindly to it since it can be their school next time.

Can they just consider wiping out the last few minutes of each of our first three conference games? call it a compromise

You win

This is one of those years where you wonder if wouldn't be better to go NIT anyway. If the extra NIT games and practices help get Coleman back on track, get solid minutes for Frank Howard, and maybe even help KJ and Roberson gain some semblance of a plan for their games, then it could pay much bigger dividends than a one and done in the NCAAT. I think missing the 2002 tournament was a big factor in Warrick's development which helped us the next year.
NO TO THE NIT. Never. Being a part of NCAA March Madness is my favorite thing.