Selection committee chair comments | Syracusefan.com

Selection committee chair comments

Wow. So we could essentially get a Mulligan for this horrible month of basketball if we somewhat right the ship. Pretty large gift, will be interesting if this bunch will be able to take advantage...

we still have alot of winnable games left on the schedule. maybe jb can pull off a miracle

Well, this is something we knew going in. I wonder why they felt they needed to make a statement though. Maybe because they saw the screw job JB took?

We are going to win on Saturday guys. If they truly throw out the Hopkins losses (which, frankly I do not believe), then you figure basically just needing a .500 slate for the rest of the way and should be in.

We are going to win on Saturday guys. If they truly throw out the Hopkins losses (which, frankly I do not believe), then you figure basically just needing a .500 slate for the rest of the way and should be in.

they gotta win saturday for this new info to mean anything. north carolina is the only "top" team we play at home, we have to win it.

This is one of those years where you wonder if wouldn't be better to go NIT anyway. If the extra NIT games and practices help get Coleman back on track, get solid minutes for Frank Howard, and maybe even help KJ and Roberson gain some semblance of a plan for their games, then it could pay much bigger dividends than a one and done in the NCAAT. I think missing the 2002 tournament was a big factor in Warrick's development which helped us the next year.

they gotta win saturday for this new info to mean anything. north carolina is the only "top" team we play at home, we have to win it.

Agree, but there might not be a worse matchup for us in the country than UNC. It will be volleyball practice on the offensive boards.

I wouldn't hold my breath on the NCAA committee doing us any favors. Talk is cheap.

I agree with this. Remember, we are talking about the NCAA.

Throwing out the Hopkins games like they didn't happen is good for Syracuse's tournament hopes (if we win going forward) but not a good sign for Mike Hopkins.

Same game plan, same players, same scheme but Hopkins coached games don't count? That's a lack of respect I've ever seen one.

This is one of those years where you wonder if wouldn't be better to go NIT anyway. If the extra NIT games and practices help get Coleman back on track, get solid minutes for Frank Howard, and maybe even help KJ and Roberson gain some semblance of a plan for their games, then it could pay much bigger dividends than a one and done in the NCAAT. I think missing the 2002 tournament was a big factor in Warrick's development which helped us the next year.

Tell that to the players and fanbase. Everyone wants to dance.

Tell that to the players and fanbase. Everyone wants to dance.

Of course, but the point is, it may be better for the program long term if they can get a few games into the NIT rather than a 2 hour NCAA experience.

How does practice work if you get invited to a post season tournament?

Is it a fixed amount of 15 practices like football with a bowl game, or do you get to practice as long as you're still in it?

I honestly have no idea how winning that game could be a possibility.

speaking as a fan, id rather make the tournament and lose by 50 in the 1st round than win the NIT. and i bet the players and coaches feel the same way. the nit is the loser's tournament.

We are facing Roy Williams. Anything is possible when he coaches against a zone.
I'd add that there is a decent chance that JB has spent the last month essentially focusing on how to beat UNC. Winning this game would probably mean much more to him than a typical game .

Not saying that puts us over the top, but if you give JB a month to focus on any one opponent, I'd take my chances.

It only matters if JB's return actually changes the path that this team seems to be headed down. I believe there is a difference between JB and Hop, but I don't think JB is a magician. Most of what I am seeing is related fundamental deficits this team has. JB's return isn't going to bring us a center and it's unlikely to turn MG into a point guard that can initiate the offense and deal with the increased defensive pressure he's been seeing in recent games. Maybe he can make TR, TL and DC II actual threats that need to be guarded again.