Selection Committee | Syracusefan.com

Selection Committee

That would literally be my dream job. How do I make that happen?

And that would be our dream for you.

With Marsh on the committee I would envision 'Cuse as the #1 seed in the East for the forseeable future.

And UConn in the NIT for all eternity...

Just curious, in Dante's world of Hoops where the old Big East Tournament in the Garden is Heaven and the ACC tournament in Greensboro is probably Purgatory, what circle of He!! do you think the AAC tournament is?

Ha I read this article too. I think I still watch more than he does!

Problem is, you have to make the attempt to be impartial. Showing up in 'the room' with a t-shirt reading "!" is probably not going to go over too well.

Excellent article about the Selection Committee. They watch enough basketball to put even Marsh01 to shame!

http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=10584635
That article sums up my post about the need to go to computers.

Zaninovich, the West Coast Conference commissioner and a member of the 10-person tournament selection committee, has developed his own personal college basketball ranking system, not unlike what you would see from the major media "bracketologists." His personal prioritizing of six different measures and metrics, however, is not for publication. It's for his own personal use with the selection committee.

"I weigh the different ranking systems and I put them into my own composite ranking," he said. "I can immediately see if something jumps out -- 'Look, they are only 1-4 in top-50s."

So each of the ten committee members could possibly look at teams all differently from each other. Where is the consistency.

Zaninovich's preparation for his third year on the committee began in November after he received his list of primary and secondary conferences (Pac 12, Big West, Summit and Big Sky).

So let's say that he is the expert on these four conferences. Does that mean if one of them is on the bubble that he has the final say. Isn't there a lot of prejudice involved there.

Here's an example of a conversation that might take place, adopted from a description from Zaninovich:
Committee member 1: Team X's road record is better, but Team Y's nonconference is better.
Committee member 2: Yeah, but I've seen Team X play. That team is better than Team Y.
Committee member 3: What does the conference monitor think of Team X?
Committee member 4 (conference monitor): I've seen them play 10 times. They had an injury here [points to red area of team sheet indicating losing streak].
Committee member 2: Let's take down Team X and compare Team Z to Team Y.

Wow. Committee member 2's comments are somewhat scary. You know these conversations are taking place but it's scary that one committee member could jettison a team for some unknown reason. Maybe this guy saw a team play once and they laid an egg. Shouldn't their inclusion and seeding be based on 31 games plus their conference tournament and not because of some people watching a few games with the distraction of a couple screaming kids and their spouse yelling at them to take out the garbage.

Looks like you won't be getting much sleep or work done over the next few weeks, starting probably today. Games on TV all friggin day and night.

Looks like you won't be getting much sleep or work done over the next few weeks, starting probably today. Games on TV all friggin day and night.

From now until Masters Sunday the amount of time spent in front of a TV will be staggering.

And during the rest of the year you could just play golf!!! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom