Semi OT - all time NBA team | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Semi OT - all time NBA team

Havlicek was a perpetual motion machine who played as hard as anyone who has ever played the game. He was an outstanding defender who always found a way to get his points.

Cowens was more emotional and fans loved his diving on the floor.
Plus he went head to head with Kareem.
Havlicek was the better scorer and was a stud guard but he was a robot and while loved wasn’t loved like Cowens.

Cowens was more of the fan favorite even though both were loved.

ZTlp26.gif

Cowens was more emotional and fans loved his diving on the floor.
Plus he went head to head with Kareem.
Havlicek was the better scorer and was a stud guard but he was a robot and while loved wasn’t loved like Cowens.

Cowens was more of the fan favorite even though both were loved.

ZTlp26.gif
I'm no Celtics fan, but I can assure you Havlicek was no robot and was very much loved by Celtics fans. He was the guy fans of every other team hated to see because he always seemed to make a big play to beat you.

I'm no Celtics fan, but I can assure you Havlicek was no robot and was very much loved by Celtics fans. He was the guy fans of every other team hated to see because he always seemed to make a big play to beat you.
Havlicek wasn’t emotional like Cowens.
He was a machine. He never got tired and played both guard positions.
I said he was loved by Celtics fans but Cowens playing style connected with fans more.
They loved his balls out playing style and intensity.
Cowens wasn’t as good an alltime player than Havlicek but Cowens was more loved.

One of my beefs with his all-time credentials is that in his first decade in the league, he won only 1 title, and he had Oscar Robertson (admittedly approaching the end ..., but still, The Big O) on his team.

Only after Magic joined the Lakers did he win his other 5 titles.

Jabbar only played with the Big O for four years.

In Jabbar's first year (without Oscar) they lost in the playoffs to the NYK who went on to win the Championship. The next year (first with Oscar) the Bucks won it all and crushed everybody. Another year they lost to the LA Lakers in the Western Conference Finals the year the Lakers won 33 games in a row and went 69-13. That was one of the best teams in NBA history. Certainly no shame there. In Oscar's last year the Bucks lost in the 7th game of the NBA Finals to the Celtics. By that time Oscar was a shell of himself. The only other player on that squad any good was Bobby Dandridge.

I gotta side with br801 on this one. Havlicek was every bit as beloved as Cowens. Both played all out all the time but Hondo obviously played a lot longer and was a part of many more championship teams.

I gotta side with br801 on this one. Havlicek was every bit as beloved as Cowens. Both played all out all the time but Hondo obviously played a lot longer and was a part of many more championship teams.
Surely this is a sign of the Apocalypse.

It’s good to know someone’s subjective opinion on who they liked more has turned into who was a better player from people who aren’t even fans of said team.
I said my dad liked Cowens more. He isn’t alone.
The rest whatever.

It’s good to know someone’s subjective opinion on who they liked more has turned into who was a better player from people who aren’t even fans of said team.
The rest whatever.

Aren't all these opinions subjective?

One big difference is that br and I saw both guys play. You didn't.

Havlicek wasn’t emotional like Cowens.
He was a machine. He never got tired and played both guard positions.
I said he was loved by Celtics fans but Cowens playing style connected with fans more.
They loved his balls out playing style and intensity.
Cowens wasn’t as good an alltime player than Havlicek but Cowens was more loved.

I think part of that is how small Cowens was as an NBA center 6-9 and only 230.

Aren't all these opinions subjective?

One big difference is that br and I saw both guys play. You didn't.
Cowens was a great under-sized center in an era of many excellent centers. But Havlicek played 16 seasons, rarely missed a game, averaged 20.8/6.3/4.8, was a versatile scoring threat and very good free throw shooter, and could lock down any opponent's 1, 2 or 3.

The rest whatever.
Here is an article on someone else's opinion on the top 30 Celtics of all time. However I didn't get past 29 because I refuse to click to see each page. Maybe someone with more patience can keep going to see how his list compares to yours.
BTW, you should be happy that people take interest in your hated team. It was such a huge deal when the Knicks finally won after all the Celtic championships.
Boston Celtics: Top 30 all-time greatest players

Here is an article on someone else's opinion on the top 30 Celtics of all time. However I didn't get past 29 because I refuse to click to see each page. Maybe someone with more patience can keep going to see how his list compares to yours.
BTW, you should be happy that people take interest in your hated team. It was such a huge deal when the Knicks finally won after all the Celtic championships.

Top Celtics of all time:
1. Sherman Douglas
2. Kris Joseph
3. Fab Melo

Screw everyone else.

I think part of that is how small Cowens was as an NBA center 6-9 and only 230.
Reed was only 6'9 and Unseld was even shorter. If you had to choose between Cowens, Reed or Unseld as your starting center who do you take. As a New Yorker, I'm taking Reed, but they were all good.

I got no problem with debate except when it’s with people who are wasting your energy. That isn’t you for the record.
I don’t think I would put Dee Brown in my top 30 Celtics and I think they got Pierce too low but it’s a fair listZ

Reed was only 6'9 and Unseld was even shorter. If you had to choose between Cowens, Reed or Unseld as your starting center who do you take. As a New Yorker, I'm taking Reed, but they were all good.
1. Reed
2. Cowens
3. Unseld

Based on their resumes.

Top Celtics of all time:
1. Sherman Douglas
2. Kris Joseph
3. Fab Melo

Screw everyone else.
How about least favorite Celtic.

1) John Thompson
2) Larry Bird.
3) Kevin McHale
4) Everyone else

1. Reed
2. Cowens
3. Unseld

Based on their resumes.
I'll waste a little more of your energy and say your ranking is backwards. Reed couldn't stay on the court, and Cowens started breaking down physically in his late 20s. While he wasn't their equal as a scorer, Unseld was the best rebounder and gets the edge from me on the basis of durability and longevity.

Oh, I saw these guys play. Cowens was listed at 6-9 - surprised when I read it because I would have pegged him more at 6-7. Yes, Unseld was only about 6-5, but like Charles Barkley, Unseld was wide and strong.

Antoine Walker is high on my list.
This probably the only good moment Walker had against the Lakers.
My favorite part of this Larry David the real Larry celebrating and giving the Celtics coach a high five on floor when Kobe’s shot is waved off.

Not on all-time teams, but I think two of the most underrated players of all-time (especially scoring) are Adrian Dantley and Mitch Richmond.

Good question. They each had their own merits. When Unseld set a pick on you it was likely you needed to go see a chiropractor. Also was known for being a great outlet passer. I loved watching the NBA back then.

I got no problem with debate except when it’s with people who are wasting your energy. That isn’t you for the record.
I don’t think I would put Dee Brown in my top 30 Celtics and I think they got Pierce too low but it’s a fair listZ

I'm just amused when you dismiss opinions from people that actually saw these guys play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom