Semi-OT: Marching Band at the Pinstripe Bowl | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Semi-OT: Marching Band at the Pinstripe Bowl

Right. I know otherwise. I also know otherwise from one of my best friends that played in the USC marching band.

Get over yourself. I suggest you get off your cross and transfer.
USC also send their band to away games, as evidenced by the pep band they had at metlife, as well as numerous top 25 games across the country. But I repeat, most bands provide some sort of travel to get to the bowl games.

For the record, I already graduated, and like I said, went to the last pinstripe bowl. It was the one highlight in the midst of 4 years of mostly terrible football. Its some of my best friends, who come from as far away as Kansas, California, Florida, and Georgia who probably won't be able to attend. For every bowl game until now, Syracuse has provided transportation.

Anyways, I'm done here. As I said at the beginning of the thread, come gameday, and the band looks even smaller/quieter compared to normal. Now you'll know why. Not that most of you care, but there it is.

I love the band. And it's just my opinion, but I don't think the university should be responsible for getting the individual band members to NYC from all over the country. They go to school in syracuse...they get back to school, SU gets them to the game. To me, that seems reasonable...as I said.
I disagree, but fair enough.

USC also send their band to away games, as evidenced by the pep band they had at metlife, as well as numerous top 25 games across the country. But I repeat, most bands provide some sort of travel to get to the bowl games.

For the record, I already graduated, and like I said, went to the last pinstripe bowl. It was the one highlight in the midst of 4 years of mostly terrible football. Its some of my best friends, who come from as far away as Kansas, California, Florida, and Georgia who probably won't be able to attend. For every bowl game until now, Syracuse has provided transportation.

Anyways, I'm done here. As I said at the beginning of the thread, come gameday, and the band looks even smaller/quieter compared to normal. Now you'll know why. Not that most of you care, but there it is.

They send their band... from their campus. Michigan sends its band... from their campus.

Expecting SU to fly everyone from where they live to the bowl game is insane.

Yeah, its so damn free that we pay 50k to go to a school, and then give away our nights and weekends so that syracuse can pretend to be like the big boys at the d1 level and entertain you at a football game. God forbid if said band members want to go to the bowl game, the reward that bands all across the country get as part of the deal.

Go **** Yourself.
I paid (still paying) a lot of money to go to SU. I also paid (still paying) to go to basketball, football, lax, etc games.

For the Gator Bowl, we hopped in a van and took turns driving (helped to take your turn early in the trip so you can drink later in the trip).

If they want to go, make it happen and drive back to Syracuse and catch the bus. Act like big boy if you want to be treated like big boy (true for all fans regarding bowl game travel).

Yeah, just gotta get that ticket from Atlanta or Cali, no big deal. Like I said earlier in this thread, theres 20-30 people in the SUMB who would need a plane ticket to get there, and another 20-30 who it would just be a huge pain to get back to syracuse.

Look, I know I'm coming across as an overzealous band nerd. I'm just really disappointed that for all the money the SU Athletic department makes, they couldn't spare the little more that it would take to get the whole band there. I know that most of you here are "lolbandnerds, I just want to watch football!" But we put in a ton of effort to be treated like second class citizens both by the athletic department and a majority of the fans.

I have never seen a single fan hate on or disrespect the band in any way ever...except for the fact that they have had the same exact routine since the Carrier Dome opened in 1980.. And the Uniforms as well. Some of them have the script S logo..some have new S..some have nothing,,just embarrasing really and i guess i think the University should pump some money into it. Id pay for the band to get new uniforms if they did a different routine. oh and while we are on the topic of halftme shyte...what will it take for that dbg cheerleader to stop going on the 50 yard line and telling the freakin fans how to cheer at halftime..same crap at the bball games as well. Never seen such a busch league thing in my life..the guy makes my skin crawl its so dumb

I have never seen a single fan hate on or disrespect the band in any way ever...except for the fact that they have had the same exact routine since the Carrier Dome opened in 1980.. And the Uniforms as well. Some of them have the script S logo..some have new S..some have nothing,,just embarrasing really and i guess i think the University should pump some money into it. Id pay for the band to get new uniforms if they did a different routine. oh and while we are on the topic of halftme shyte...what will it take for that dbg cheerleader to stop going on the 50 yard line and telling the freakin fans how to cheer at halftime..same crap at the bball games as well. Never seen such a busch league thing in my life..the guy makes my skin crawl its so dumb

I saw multiple halftime routines from the band this year and I only got up to the Dome three times this season.

If you don't like the cheerleader thing (I don't either, its stupid), complain to athletics. Don't pin it on the kid.

A lot of posts in this thread make me feel like the Syracuse.com contingent is gaining in numbers!

Ive tried texting the dome complaint line haha. My opinion is that the kid has a voice and should tell someone its freakin stupid and refuse to do it. There is no way someone is ordering him to do that

Ive tried texting the dome complaint line haha. My opinion is that the kid has a voice and should tell someone its freakin stupid and refuse to do it. There is no way someone is ordering him to do that
It's part of their script. The cheerleader isn't going rogue.

@SU_MarchingBand: The entire SUMB will be at the Pinstripe Bowl. Get ready to rock Yankee Stadium!

I reckon there were a bunch of pointed phone calls about this. Glad it all worked out.

To all members, family, friends, and fans of the SUMB:

We know that a lot of hearsay and rumor has been flying around the Internet tonight. It seems that there are some misunderstandings out there. We wanted to let you know that we've worked it out so that every member of the SUMB who wants to attend the Pinstripe Bowl will be able to, regardless of where they live. Get ready to rock in Yankee Stadium!

Actually, yes, they do. Its called being a real athletic department. And up until this game, Syracuse did the exact same thing.
I thought the band doesn't operate under the athletic department.

More years ago than I like to think about, before the '96 Gator Bowl I believe (suck it, Clemson), SU arranged for a bus to pick up anyone from the Boston area to bring us back to Syracuse. We all then flew together down to the bowl from there.

I also think the NCAA requires schools to bring a band. At least for basketball to the NCAA tourney; not sure about football.

More years ago than I like to think about, before the '96 Gator Bowl I believe (suck it, Clemson), SU arranged for a bus to pick up anyone from the Boston area to bring us back to Syracuse. We all then flew together down to the bowl from there.

I also think the NCAA requires schools to bring a band. At least for basketball to the NCAA tourney; not sure about football.

That's how it was done when I was in school. They'd have bus pickups in Boston, NYC, Hartford, Philly, etc. Get people to Syracuse and then fly to the bowl from there. The kids too far from the busses would just fly directly to the bowl on the ADs dime.

Glad to see it all worked out.

I thought the band doesn't operate under the athletic department.

Last I knew, funding came from the AD, while the band was "run" out of the music school in terms of directors and the musical aspect. Not sure if that's still the case.

That's how it was done when I was in school. They'd have bus pickups in Boston, NYC, Hartford, Philly, etc. Get people to Syracuse and then fly to the bowl from there. The kids too far from the busses would just fly directly to the bowl on the ADs dime.

Glad to see it all worked out.
Good job by Mistake to post about it here. Don't know if it mattered or not but I am glad the powers that be realized their mistake and made the right decision.

Regarding the fund drive for new uniforms for the band, if someone from SU/SUMB can provide instructions on how to donate towards this initiative, the admins here will be happy to put up a sticky post letting the board know about it and providing instructions on how to help.

The ideal thing would be to set up something on the Internet so people can donate with a minimum amount of effort. Could be as easy as setting up a PayPal account. But even if that cannot be done, just providing us with an address and a name to whom the checks should be made out should raise some significant funds toward the cause.

I am sure the board will support it. A lot of us care about the band and are more than willing to do something to make it better/help the kids in the band.

Let's start out the ACC area with nice, top notch uniforms for the band. I am in 100% with one proviso: no duct tape on the new uniforms!

@SU_MarchingBand: The entire SUMB will be at the Pinstripe Bowl. Get ready to rock Yankee Stadium!

I reckon there were a bunch of pointed phone calls about this. Glad it all worked out.
Awesome! Congrats to the SUMB. As I said, it's a marginal cost at best. Thanks to Mistake for putting this out there and thanks to whomever took it upon themselves to push the issue so quickly to resolution.

Good job by Mistake to post about it here. Don't know if it mattered or not but I am glad the powers that be realized their mistake and made the right decision.

Regarding the fund drive for new uniforms for the band, if someone from SU/SUMB can provide instructions on how to donate towards this initiative, the admins here will be happy to put up a sticky post letting the board know about it and providing instructions on how to help.

The ideal thing would be to set up something on the Internet so people can donate with a minimum amount of effort. Could be as easy as setting up a PayPal account. But even if that cannot be done, just providing us with an address and a name to whom the checks should be made out should raise some significant funds toward the cause.

I am sure the board will support it. A lot of us care about the band and are more than willing to do something to make it better/help the kids in the band.

Let's start out the ACC area with nice, top notch uniforms for the band. I am in 100% with one proviso: no duct tape on the new uniforms!
Tom,

I posted this link to Kentucky's 2010 band uniform fund drive last year. The cost for band unis at the time was $470. Assume with inflation it's $500 a pop now.

Assume 200 uniforms (got to have a few extras to recruit all those new tuba players), then the fund drive is $100,000. That's no small amount, but still relatively insignificant in the scheme of things. There's a lot of band alums that could be approached. And many others as well. It can be done. And it should be done.

For those who care about these things:

Just found out from my friends in the SUMB that SU athletics will not be paying for out of state band members to attend the Pinstripe bowl. Two years ago, they flew me out from Cleveland to attend. Now, band members have to find their own way to SU/NYC, despite it being over break. So, come Dec 29th, when you see 50 people in the marching band, now you'll know why.
That sucks, Small time all the way !

They send their band... from their campus. Michigan sends its band... from their campus.

Expecting SU to fly everyone from where they live to the bowl game is insane.
You have that as fact

When Michigan goes to the Rose Bowl do you think they buy plane tickets for every kid in the band from around the country? There's one plane from Michigan to California.

Get over yourselves and get back to Syracuse before the game or meet them in New York.

Almost certain the major bowls pay for the bands to travel - I know the Sugar Bowl paid for Michigan's band last year.

This is really simple - either the school pays for band travel, or some portion of the kids in the band are not going to be able to afford to go. It's easy to say get back and go to the game, but if I'd invested as much time as the folks in the band do, and then found out I had to pay my own way like every other student, I'd say **** the school, save the money for spring break - and if I was coming back the following year I wouldn't be in the band. Every relationship is reciprocal - if the school is going to treat me like every other student, I'm going to act like one.

SU is correct. If you are in the SUMB then it is like playing on a team. You should be required to be back at SU by a certain date and travel with your team (band members) down to the Bowl. If you make a commitment to be in the SUMB then you shouldn't even have the option to attend or not. All band member should be back on campus by Thursday morning. The team (band) should travel down together Thursday night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom