Serena Williams | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Serena Williams

The next time Mushnick says anything good about anyone will be the very first time. He's just an angry old man that the Post must feel they need to pander to all the other angry old men commuting on the subway and LIRR to and from their daily rat holes.
He hates black people. It’s obvious.

I hope she keeps going, it is great for the sport. She is undoubtably one of the greatest of all time, but to call her THE GOAT IMO is debatable at best. She doesn't have the most majors. She doesn't have the best winning percentage in majors. She doesn't have the best winning percentage overall. She has played in a lot less tournaments. The last 20 years in women's tennis has been weak. Her sister is probably the 2nd best of the era and Venus hasn't won a major since 2008. IMO the GOAT is Martina.
Love Martina, but Serena is the best of all time. Pretty sure Martina would agree.

She does have the most in the open era. I’m not a huge Serena fan, but I do think she’s the greatest female tennis player of all time.

For me Martina is well ahead of Serena as an overall player. The amount of matches and success she had singles, doubles, and mixed is insane. She also had to deal with Evert and Graff.

Love Martina, but Serena is the best of all time. Pretty sure Martina would agree.

If you look at the stats you can argue Graff and Martina are better than Serena.

For me Martina is well ahead of Serena as an overall player. The amount of matches and success she had singles, doubles, and mixed is insane. She also had to deal with Evert and Graff.
I get it. It’s hard to compare eras. No doubt players like Chrissy had much better touch and constructed points with more finesse and skill. Martina combined that with physical dominance in the second half of her career. Steffi dominated. Serena has been a physical and athletic mismatch for 25 years, that insane. They are all great.

The changes in rackets, strength training, and fitness make it hard to compare eras, but I would put Serena 1st. Her biggest rival, for a while, was her sister. (19-12 all time back Venus head to head). How hard is that?
Martina would probably be my #2. She had to deal with a lot off the court as she is one of the first athletes in their prime who I remember being "out", and a lot of people didn't like her for that, plus, her biggest rival was America's Sweetheart, Chrissy.
Martina kind of started the transition to a more physical game of tennis. (My recollection is that she was really the first woman to rely on serve and volley). Chris may have been better technically, but Martina's power and athletic superiority led he past Chris.
Regardless off all of the GOAT talk, Serena went out with the heart of a champion tonight. I hope she stays retired as I don't think it will get better than tonight. She didn't play poorly and lost. She played great, but got beat, and that's ok.

Last edited:
Martina Hingis was great enough in her own right that last names should be used, lol. I was lost for a little while trying to follow this conversation.

Martina Hingis was great enough in her own right that last names should be used, lol. I was lost for a little while trying to follow this conversation.
Hingis unfortunately got rattled by injuries and basically retired at 22 with 5 major titles. She made a brief comeback a few years later but had to retire again soon after. Surprisingly, she’s a few months younger than Venus. What could have been…

Agreed. Not a fan either but she's the greatest of all time among female tennis players imo. She put up a valiant fight tonight. She just doesn't have the stamina to go three sets at this juncture.
Remember when Johnny Mac got roasted for saying this ? He got crap for not saying she was the greatest tennis player of all time period. Insannnneo world

She might still be dominant if she were on the Tom Brady eating plan- just can't be competitive against world-class athletes with her current body type.

She might still be dominant if she were on the Tom Brady eating plan- just can't be competitive against world-class athletes with her current body type.
I give her a pass: post baby and life saving surgeries. However, I would agree that she would need to lose weight to be able to compete over 2 weeks at a major. Many of the errors yesterday appeared to be from fatigue.

I give her a pass: post baby and life saving surgeries. However, I would agree that she would need to lose weight to be able to compete over 2 weeks at a major. Many of the errors yesterday appeared to be from fatigue.
I think she could get back in shape and win some tournaments, maybe even a major or two. She was basically playing herself in to shape in this tournament. But, a minor injury would set her back quite a bit. Her tank isn’t empty, but she’s accomplished everything.

Serena beat the number 2 player in the world a few days ago. She’s as competitive as any player on tour. Coming back to the tour after giving birth is not something you can compare to Tom Brady’s eating plan.

Good Lord.

I’m sure we can deduce the real reason Court is upset about Serena being dubbed the best of all time. Not a good look for her.

I’m sure we can deduce the real reason Court is upset about Serena being dubbed the best of all time. Not a good look for her.
Agree. Shut up and let Serena have her time. 20 years from now they will both be left behind by the next GOAT.

She does have the most in the open era. I’m not a huge Serena fan, but I do think she’s the greatest female tennis player of all time.
Her last match set the ESPN record for largest audience for one of their tennis matches, male or female.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom