Serena Williams | Syracusefan.com

Serena Williams

"I'm just Serena". What a great quote and a great win tonight vs the #2 seed. First tennis match I have probably watched in eight years.
That was quite a win. It's the same with me - it's been many years since I've watched an entire match, but I'm cheering for her to go out on a high note.

Incredible match! Serena’s section of the draw completely opened up for her. She plays someone ranked 46 in the next round and her fourth round opponent will be ranked 35 or 94. All seeds gone. I’d be shocked if she’s not in the quarters.

Incredible match! Serena’s section of the draw completely opened up for her. She plays someone ranked 46 in the next round and her fourth round opponent will be ranked 35 or 94. All seeds gone. I’d be shocked if she’s not in the quarters.
Unless she hits the wall. Her next singles match is Friday but she is playing doubles tonight with Venus. Lots of competitive tennis in a short period.

Unless she hits the wall. Her next singles match is Friday but she is playing doubles tonight with Venus. Lots of competitive tennis in a short period.
Very true. Fatigue can definitely be a factor. I think the crowd advantage is huge though. I think she loses that second round match in straight sets anywhere outside of the United States. There’s almost no cheering at all for her opponents’ points and even a few people cheering double faults. Tough environment to play in especially for those women who aren’t used to playing in Ashe prime time.

If she serves as well or better than she did in round 2, she will be a tough out. She moved better last night than in her first match. This feels like Jimmy Connors in 1991.

Glad for her getting a swan song befitting of possibly the most dominant athlete of this century...however that a 40 year old who clearly is not in tennis shape can come out and do this speaks volumes about the state of women's tennis.

Glad for her getting a swan song befitting of possibly the most dominant athlete of this century...however that a 40 year old who clearly is not in tennis shape can come out and do this speaks volumes about the state of women's tennis.
Think it just speaks to the talent and raw athleticism that Serena possesses. Might not be in peak tennis shape but that’s good enough to be on par with other players with less talent who are in great shape. Venus, also not in great tennis shape, got destroyed in the 1st round by someone most people have never heard of but her skill level is no where near Serena.

Yeah, some of the top players have been up and down this year. Hopeful the top becomes more stable soon. I do like Iga Swiatek though. Think she’s the real deal and is head and shoulders the best player on the women’s side.

Interesting take

The next time Mushnick says anything good about anyone will be the very first time. He's just an angry old man that the Post must feel they need to pander to all the other angry old men commuting on the subway and LIRR to and from their daily rat holes.

The next time Mushnick says anything good about anyone will be the very first time. He's just an angry old man that the Post must feel they need to pander to all the other angry old men commuting on the subway and LIRR to and from their daily rat holes.
I fully admit that Serena has had a few times when she hasn't conducted herself in a way I was impressed with. But to your point, Mushnick isn't the guy I want to hear about it from right now.

I fully admit that Serena has had a few times when she hasn't conducted herself in a way I was impressed with. But to your point, Mushnick isn't the guy I want to hear about it from right now.
Especially when he utters Serena's and Tiger's names in the same sentence. No question that Tiger has his share of weaknesses, but he did more to grow the game of golf than anyone before, during or after his era. I always wondered who appointed Mushmouth as the overseer to judge people in life. He must have led such a boring and righteous life if he feels comfortable enough to be able to cast these stones.

Especially when he utters Serena's and Tiger's names in the same sentence. No question that Tiger has his share of weaknesses, but he did more to grow the game of golf than anyone before, during or after his era. I always wondered who appointed Mushmouth as the overseer to judge people in life. He must have led such a boring and righteous life if he feels comfortable enough to be able to cast these stones.
Tiger also got absolutely crushed by the media because he messed around with the ladies.. because apparently doing Buick commercials means you aren’t allowed to cheat because ….. hey .. you sell Buicks

Now that Serena is out of doubles, an evening match on Ashe opened up for the women tomorrow night. It’s Danielle Collins vs Alize Cornet. Collins played the night match on Ashe day 2 beating Osaka. Not sure why she gets a second match and the top seed Swiatek hasn’t played once at night on Ashe yet. She’s also playing an American but they put her match on Armstrong in the evening. Woman has won two grand slams and is the clear number one. Not sure why Collins is more appealing especially when Swiatek is playing an American.

This whole athletes need to be better than, because they're role models is stupid

Serena is tremendously more talented but appears out of shape. Some of her shots are unreturnable

Serena is tremendously more talented but appears out of shape. Some of her shots are unreturnable
Age, injuries, having a baby, which can fundamentally change the body. I think it would be an all time sports story if she won it all, but don't see it happening over a 2 week hardcourt tournament.

Age, injuries, having a baby, which can fundamentally change the body. I think it would be an all time sports story if she won it all, but don't see it happening over a 2 week hardcourt tournament.
It's possible. The crowd is insanely on her side. If she hits more of her first serves, it'll be in her advantage

I hope she keeps going, it is great for the sport. She is undoubtably one of the greatest of all time, but to call her THE GOAT IMO is debatable at best. She doesn't have the most majors. She doesn't have the best winning percentage in majors. She doesn't have the best winning percentage overall. She has played in a lot less tournaments. The last 20 years in women's tennis has been weak. Her sister is probably the 2nd best of the era and Venus hasn't won a major since 2008. IMO the GOAT is Martina.

I hope she keeps going, it is great for the sport. She is undoubtably one of the greatest of all time, but to call her THE GOAT IMO is debatable at best. She doesn't have the most majors. She doesn't have the best winning percentage in majors. She doesn't have the best winning percentage overall. She has played in a lot less tournaments. The last 20 years in women's tennis has been weak. Her sister is probably the 2nd best of the era and Venus hasn't won a major since 2008. IMO the GOAT is Martina.
She does have the most in the open era. I’m not a huge Serena fan, but I do think she’s the greatest female tennis player of all time.

She does have the most in the open era. I’m not a huge Serena fan, but I do think she’s the greatest female tennis player of all time.
Agreed. Not a fan either but she's the greatest of all time among female tennis players imo. She put up a valiant fight tonight. She just doesn't have the stamina to go three sets at this juncture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom