serious question | Syracusefan.com

serious question

T

tipphill

what can this board do to try to increase attendance????grasping at straws here. hang banners such across salina street, and in the malls saying "beat rutgers" 10-1-11 with ticket pricing, or some other catch? use the cartoons that the artist draws on banners and add a catch phase "good nite knights", or something? i rember back in the 1960's there were signs banners etc all over campus, and downtown when a game was played. i said before,perhaps if floyd little got out into the community, and pumped them up, as well asked why people do not come perhaps there maybe an impact. does anyone have any suggestions???? i truly believe its not ticket pricing, i think its a lack of people getting excited. maybe if we keep winning it will change this. still we need to create some jazz, andperhaps this is the week to start---

Well I bought 6 extra tickets on Saturday for the game. Gonna bring some of the kids from the neighborhood, along with my 4 boys. Haven't quite figured out transportation, however.

no suggestions yet??? o.k. i'll try one how about a "throwback saturday"with contemporary flare. get the greeks to hang signs out of their respective house, get local bands to have battle of the bands at skytop or preferably on island between comstock and walnut?.get the rotary club members to put signs up in their respective businesses, get the tavern owners to put sign up in the bars, kids stuff but start in the malls face painting, jugglers, magic stuff and then on saturday have it on the quad or manley, or archbold gym if the weather is bad---just tryin here how about a petting zoo at the law school have that as a kids zone.

Well I bought 6 extra tickets on Saturday for the game. Gonna bring some of the kids from the neighborhood, along with my 4 boys. Haven't quite figured out transportation, however.
thanks for your reply!!!!

Petting zoo at the law school? Some of those lawyers bite.

Don't expect attendance to be much better this week. Another Saturday nooner against a MAC team.
Hopefully improves for 2nd half of season, assuming we get through the first half 5-1.

How many more years are we going to gripe about our fanbase before we realize “it is what it is”. Neither a new stadium, nor free beer, nor free tickets will entice fans to show up. Winning and winning alone will get fans to return.

Some will give the “chicken or egg” argument that Dave Rahme referenced how lack of fan support affects recruiting. Well, fans aren’t coming back until we are in the top 25 on a regular basis.

How can the students be more engaged in the games? I think that's the best starting point for creating a better atmosphere. The last home game I was at, I went back to my fraternity and they were holding a fundraiser with a sorority, during the day, right in the middle of the game. I was like, "are you guys kidding me?" I got a lot of blank stares.

How can the students be more engaged in the games? I think that's the best starting point for creating a better atmosphere. The last home game I was at, I went back to my fraternity and they were holding a fundraiser with a sorority, during the day, right in the middle of the game. I was like, "are you guys kidding me?" I got a lot of blank stares.

(Replying to myself now. Yikes.)

And I'm not blaming the students. It's just a great place to start.

How many more years are we going to gripe about our fanbase before we realize “it is what it is”. Neither a new stadium, nor free beer, nor free tickets will entice fans to show up. Winning and winning alone will get fans to return.

Some will give the “chicken or egg” argument that Dave Rahme referenced how lack of fan support affects recruiting. Well, fans aren’t coming back until we are in the top 25 on a regular basis.

Agree with that. Though I will add that more fans -- SU and non-SU -- will show up for games against Miami, VT, BC, FSU, Clemson and GTech, than show up for Buttgers, UConn, L'Ville, Cincy, and USF. The only teams in the BE that the "local non-SU fans" respect are WVU and Pitt.

what you say is true, winning does cure everything, i am just looking for away to help it along. for once i'm not bitching about the fan base, i looking for serious suggestions to make a game day experience, create a buzz and perhaps garner a few more casual fans along the way. i think we have product now to market.
thought i would give it a shot----nothing is more valuable than peoples creativity and there is plenty of it on this board.

what you say is true, winning does cure everything, i am just looking for away to help it along. for once i'm not bitching about the fan base, i looking for serious suggestions to make a game day experience, create a buzz and perhaps garner a few more casual fans along the way. i think we have product now to market.
thought i would give it a shot----nothing is more valuable than peoples creativity and there is plenty of it on this board.

I agree that the best thing for attendance is winning...consistantly...aginst the better portion of our schedule.

That said, I do think there is a lot the University can do to put some buzz back into the program and make for a better game atmosphere, which I think would help draw more fans.

If I was in charge, I'd start with the students. When they are buzzing, the whole place -inside the Dome and out - feeds on that energy. Without getting into a laundry list, if I was making decisions, I'd hire (yes...for actualy wages) a team of PR/Adv students to help create a campaign aimed at the student population to drive interest and attendance.

I agree that the best thing for attendance is winning...consistantly...aginst the better portion of our schedule.

That said, I do think there is a lot the University can do to put some buzz back into the program and make for a better game atmosphere, which I think would help draw more fans.

If I was in charge, I'd start with the students. When they are buzzing, the whole place -inside the Dome and out - feeds on that energy. Without getting into a laundry list, if I was making decisions, I'd hire (yes...for actualy wages) a team of PR/Adv students to help create a campaign aimed at the student population to drive interest and attendance.
great suggestion please e-mail it dr.gross--could be a work study job.

This has been done on a few levels. There was some great initial success with the Wake game.

Also, on the "give students free tickets" thing, I still don't know if it will work, but I've learned that it's being seriously considered in the AD. They might try to have tickets included in the student activities fee. If it works, I'm all for it.

This has been done on a few levels. There was some great initial success with the Wake game.

Also, on the "give students free tickets" thing, I still don't know if it will work, but I've learned that it's being seriously considered in the AD. They might try to have tickets included in the student activities fee. If it works, I'm all for it.

If it's being done on a few levels, then there is a ton of failure happening.

The marketer in me says giving kids free tickets is actually the wrong idea. Younger consumers are drawn to things that are cool and hip. They want to brag on facebook and twitter about the view they had for a concert or how they were one of the lucky ones to win something . Giving everyone comp seats means the value of being at the game in the student section is worthless, and students will pick up on that fast. You think they leave games early now. Wait until the tickets were handed out like bids to the uncool frat.

I'm not advocating for the opposite - shrinking the student section to make it more competitve. Rather, the AD needs to get creative and invest $ in making the Dome a place kids want to be and to brag about to their friends.

Putting Otto's face on a shirt ain't cutting it.

You should email that idea to Dave Sargalski, who is the Director of Student Sevices and in charge of all student organizations. Dave was an all-American swimmer here and might be able to help out.

His email is dfsargal.

Definition of Corporate Insanity - expecting a different result by doing the same thing over and over and over again. The ADept is very old fashioned and stale - you would think with the famed Maxwell school that the ADept would use them to:

Change the Culture - It must start with the Adept, admin and students first - how can you expect the fan base to get into it if students don't show up? Frats and other student groups, facebook, twitter, etc, etc, etc - otherwise we will be complaining about this forever and nothing with change. The primo parking lot reserved for professors is always half empty right next to the dome and with no tailgates to speak of (just below it facing 81). Turn that over to tailgaters...some of this stuff to change the culture is low hanging fruit imo.

Driving from NYC for the game so I have 2 tickets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it helps, the ACC game of the week starts at 12:30. Extra 30 minutes to do whatever it is people need to do that keeps them from attending nooners.

Petting zoo at the law school? Some of those lawyers bite.
i left myself wide open on that one, to make it worse my daughter is a su law school grad. geesh i hope she doesn't read this board!!!!

If it's being done on a few levels, then there is a ton of failure happening.

The marketer in me says giving kids free tickets is actually the wrong idea. Younger consumers are drawn to things that are cool and hip. They want to brag on facebook and twitter about the view they had for a concert or how they were one of the lucky ones to win something . Giving everyone comp seats means the value of being at the game in the student section is worthless, and students will pick up on that fast. You think they leave games early now. Wait until the tickets were handed out like bids to the uncool frat.

I'm not advocating for the opposite - shrinking the student section to make it more competitve. Rather, the AD needs to get creative and invest $ in making the Dome a place kids want to be and to brag about to their friends.

Putting Otto's face on a shirt ain't cutting it.
great you have experience in this arena, what would you suggest--not being facecious (sp)would welcome your thoughts

Don't expect attendance to be much better this week. Another Saturday nooner against a MAC team.
Hopefully improves for 2nd half of season, assuming we get through the first half 5-1.
somehow i do expect it to better, given the ru trumpet blowing thru the past FEW years,but nooner hurts unless we set it up ahead of time. pre-emptive strike?

Definition of Corporate Insanity - expecting a different result by doing the same thing over and over and over again. The ADept is very old fashioned and stale - you would think with the famed Maxwell school that the ADept would use them to:

Change the Culture - It must start with the Adept, admin and students first - how can you expect the fan base to get into it if students don't show up? Frats and other student groups, facebook, twitter, etc, etc, etc - otherwise we will be complaining about this forever and nothing with change. The primo parking lot reserved for professors is always half empty right next to the dome and with no tailgates to speak of (just below it facing 81). Turn that over to tailgaters...some of this stuff to change the culture is low hanging fruit imo.
e-mail gross the suggestion. most city and surrounding fans are not alumns (as myself),but, they do feed off the atmosphere joe schmoe at nibsy's may not relate to frats,sorrities (sp) et al but they relate to syracuse pride (albiet down under)address this need. you are right, give faculty the obligatory discount for parking,and give the paying public access to primo parking,