Class of 2025 - SF Aaron Womack (WI) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (9/30/24) | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2025 SF Aaron Womack (WI) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (9/30/24)

I welcome the young man. A little history lesson for the unhappy. Sherman Douglas has one D1 offer. It was from SU. Lawrence Moten was our fifth best recruit and not very heavily recruited. We did ok with under the radar recruits in the past. I hope this player is awesome as well.
I hope you’re right. But guys keep pointing out the exceptions. How many unrated guys turned out to be not very good, not just for us but overall. Many more than the notable exceptions. So is it possible? Yeah. Likely? Not so much. Rating services stay inbusiness for a reason. They’re right far more often than not.

For a comparison, this kid plays very similar to Bell. Bell is a couple inches taller. But their games are very similar. Strong shooters, athletic, needed time in weight room, rebounding is not a strong suit. Womack will be playing the 2-3. Bell is a 3-4 but style of play, strengths and weaknesses are VERY similar
This was exactly my first thought, and I thought watching Bells tape when it was first posted that he was a reach, I remember it like it was yesterday with his super low release, etc. Everyone would take a Bell now. And no kid is going to guarantee he'll stay no matter who you get, recruiting is what it is, and it ain't easy. Kids tape looks better than Bells to me.

I absolutely don't want to settle and want and expect to be SYRACUSE again, but I guess I have a little more patience in year 2 of Red. The losses of recruits isn't pretty, no sugar coating it, but he's pulling at a much higher rate than the last few years of his predecessor. Has to speak for something on getting on the right track no?

His tape shows his skill level and versatility. He has a better handle than Bell. He has a smooth game. I really like his potential.
Yup, this kid is skilled. Kline's involvement in the analysis of his potential is a key for me. Womack definitely needs to mature physically to realize that potential at the ACC level. But he looks like an emerging talent who has been overlooked to date. Fingers crossed.

This kid does remind me a lot of Chris Bell, except that he is shorter and can drive to the basket a bit. In the past few years, most of our players could either shoot or drive to the basket. None of them could do both. I think it's worth taking a shot on a guy that has a more complete skill set, even if he isn't ready to contribute right away.
He reminds me a little of Moton

Look at the rosters of the sweet 16 teams each year. They are loaded with kids like this.

I am going to say this again so people don't think I'm a hater - I have loved Red since he was in high school. I cannot stress how much I want him to succeed.

But here is my point: I'm done convincing myself that we still have a legit chance at being a second tier elite team anymore or that it's in our near future. And that is my expectation for Syracuse because that is what I grew up with.

I get that this is not all Red's fault. I get that he has to build up out of the muck. I get what JB left him with.

And if we are the team that is just happy making the tournament and that's what the majority of the fan base is good with, I'll shut up.

But I don't think it is. And I do not find it acceptable that Davis and Taylor are who we got. I do not find it acceptable that we missed on Acaden, Tillery (and even worse if we were never in it), Jemison, Shon and Strong. I don't. If I am being unfair, I get it. I'm just a fan. Who cares what I think, ya know? And I'm saying that seriously with no snark. If we can't sell Syracuse because we got one top ten kid (who is, to be very clear, not on the top tier level of the other top players like Flagg, Harper, Edgecomb), then let's just pack it in for ever being elite.

But I don't want to hear how if 7 things happen right for this kid, he may be good for us. I want to get great players and then if this kid hits, it just puts us over the top.

I love this team. I love the school. I love Red. I will convince myself that this Womack kid will hit a growth spurt and end up our DerMarr Johnson because I am insane. But right now, in a sober time of assessment and reflection, no way.
Exactly. We were always right there with UCONN. They don’t exactly take Georgia St and Delaware transfers…

Agree with this. Also has great assist numbers. Far better passer than Bell.

Both are really skinny. I hope Aaron is able to put on muscle better than Chris has been able to.
How can you say this off of a highlight tape lol

I will say, a lot of people are overreacting a bit. Is this kid NBA talent? A stud? Gonna score 20 ppg? Nope.

Is this kids good? But might take a year or two to get everything developed, get stronger? Yes

Every player we get isn’t going to be a Sadiq White, Donnie Freeman, Kiyan.

You need guys like a Petar, Cuffee, Moore, McLeod, Etc…that are going to be here a few years. Or at least hope they will be. All of these guys are talented but not one and dones or two and dones. You need players that are talented enough but hopefully stick around 3-4 years. That’s what this guy is and that’s how you build a culture this day and age. We aren’t gonna get classes like Duke, UNC, Kentucky and now Arkansas. So we have to take 1-2 studs a year we can get and sprinkle in 2-3 program guys a class that will be contributing year 2, 3 and/or 4. We’ve seen how being a mature and older team has lead to championships like the last 10 years even with the way the landscape is changing. A good culture with an older team will get you far
The core of the Championship team, Duany, McNeal, Forth, Warwick, and Pace were not highly rated. Melo, and Billy from. Oak Hill, and Gerry one of best players from PA, were the main players and Warwick grew up that year.

The core of the Championship team, Duany, McNeal, Forth, Warwick, and Pace were not highly rated. Melo, and Billy from. Oak Hill, and Gerry one of best players from PA, were the main players and Warwick grew up that year.
A million recruiting sites now. Back then it was scout and rivals only. And tons of guys slipped through the cracks. Not as many do anymore. Obviously possible, but eh.

Yeah when looking back at the last 5 years, avg recruiting has led to average results

And I feel like the last 5 years folks have been told to relax in the offseason about the average recruiting. *shrug*

I’m old enough to remember posters suggesting Chaz Owens could grow into a rotation player.

Regardless, let’s see how this kid progresses and wish him luck, welcome to Cuse.

I’m old enough to remember posters suggesting Chaz Owens could grow into a rotation player.
Remember when people got really upset when I said something like he has a scholarship but he's not really a scholarship player?

Simpler times, then.

Welcome to the family. Looks like he has an elite level skill in shooting and that is always welcomed. My only worry with a kid like this is he sits for 1/2 years fills out and refines his skills and then hits portal and we get nothing from him. (Just the day an age of college sports now I fear)

Also not really worried about the 2025 recruiting class more focused on the season it is make or break time for Red.